AfterDawn: Tech news

'3 Strikes' legislation moving to the full EU

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 04 Jul 2008 3:17 User comments (32)

'3 Strikes' legislation moving to the full EU Earlier this year, it was reported that both the UK and France were planning a "3 Strikes" plan that would ban alleged file sharers from the Internet after three warnings.
Although the legislation has still not gone to a vote, there has been word that a few UK ISPs are voluntarily working with the record industry to come to arrangements that could possibly include a 3 strikes rule. Of course it is important to note that this 3 Strikes rule will not give extra money t the artists, which is the record industry's reasoning for such a move.

The main backer of the legislation, French president Nicolas Sarkozy has been putting more weight behind the bill as of late and the subject has been controversial in the UK as well as across the ocean here in the US.

Making the situation even more controversial now is the fact that La Quadrature du Net, a French pressure group, has seen that a 3 strikes amendment has been silently added to the European telecoms law currently in the European Parliament. The bill for the most part is dealing with network infrastructure, universal service and other telecom issues. “One week before a key vote in the reform of European law on electronic communications (”Telecom Package”), La Quadrature du Net (Squaring the Net) denounces a series of amendments aimed at closing the open architecture of the Internet for more control and surveillance of users..

…this set of amendments creates the unprecedented mechanism known as graduated response in European law; judicial authority and law courts are vacated in favour of private actors and “technical measures” of surveillance and filtering. According to rules set forth by administrative authorities and rights holders, intermediaries will be forced to cooperate in monitoring and filtering their subscribers, or they will be exposed to administrative sanctions”,
reads an LQN statement.

It appears the legislation is trying to be brought in through the backdoor to the full EU, which is not acceptable.

You can read more complaints and find contacts to send complaints to here: Open Rights Group

Previous Next  

32 user comments

14.7.2008 16:34

And it starts..

So I guess um..that peeps who get banned from the internet and keep signing up for other ISPs will have to be tracked and monitored? Like sex offenders? Right??

Methinks a revolution is brewing..

24.7.2008 17:00
varnull
Inactive

You should all know my feelings on this subject. I have been talking to a few Russians about the implications of some ip bombs on the UK isp's who think they can take our rights away.

The war is coming, and it will change the world.

34.7.2008 18:30

There will be no war. Don't forget that most people are sheep who don't give a damn about their rights and the fact that they're being monitored and spied on, as long as they have their feeling of false security given by extra surveillance. I rather expect the golden age of Darknets to come.

(Read this free book: Cory Doctorow - Little Brother. I just did (in one night - it's a good book), and I feel it's kind of relevant to the topic at hand.)

45.7.2008 00:26

HEIL!!

55.7.2008 03:47
psplvanub
Inactive

here is how i feel.

I dont care.

I aint never gonna care.

And for BT to stop me filesharing they're gonna have to put a bomb in my pc and whizz it off the Baxter Building.

65.7.2008 11:48
blueroad
Inactive

hmm...now i thank god israel did not sign on into the EU

75.7.2008 11:58
varnull
Inactive

You will care when your internet gets cut off for something you haven't done.

As for the defeatest knobhead who doesn't believe there will be a war.. watch out.. they are coming for you too. The few of us who KNOW how the internet works, and who it belongs to will cause the kind of chaos from public access points that the isp's will not be able to deal with.

remember how the nazis and mugabe do what they do? People who can stand up and protest just being pathetic and blaming the majority who don't understand the implications.. This goes deeper than p2p.. it involves the removal of basic rights at the say of big business and NOT at the say of our elected representatives. It is a europe wide charter to spy and invade privacy.. monitoring and social control by fear.. backed up with the moves in the rest of the law to only allow "approved" applications to run on the internet.. so what happens if Fista isn't approved, or firefox, or IE or whatever else you want to name... YUP.. you got it.. buy what we allow you to, and use it in the way we say, or you can't have any.. Do they own the internet?? NO.. we do.

I have sent 35 emails to my (labour so no f-ing hope there) euro mp.. don't expect any answer.. he's probably sunning himself on some south sea island at our expense!!

Protest., complain and rattle the bars.. this is about more than a bit of filesharing.. it's about a totalitarian superstate which has total access to every piece of information about YOU!!

85.7.2008 12:47

varnull
this is so true we have to care abotu fair use, and ISPs going overboard it wont take much for them to screw up so much so easily.

95.7.2008 14:01
nobrainer
Inactive

The BBC is covering this and has a video from an innocent virgin letter recipient via the link.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7486743.stm

Quote:
Warning letters to 'file-sharers'

Virgin Media has sent about 800 letters to customers warning them that they should not be downloading illegal music files via file-sharing sites.

It is part of a 10-week campaign it is running in conjunction with the BPI to "educate" users about downloads.

The BPI, the body which represents the UK record industry, told the BBC that "thousands more letters" would be sent.

Its stricter stance on illegal downloaders might result in some ISPs being taken to court, it told BBC News.

The BPI wants all UK ISPs to sign up to a so-called three strikes policy - where users of file sharing networks get two warnings and are then disconnected if they are sharing copyright files.
So far only Virgin Media has officially signed up and it is keen to stress that currently it is running an education-only campaign and that no-one has been thrown off the network.

Virgin said the wording on the envelope which contains the warning letter sent to 800 customers - which threatens consumers with disconnection - was a "mistake".

The last quote is great, how could it possibly be "a mistake" and is it not defamation of character having the threat all over the front of the envelope, maybe virgin should go to their homes and paint "thief" all over their walls but i suppose the RIAA (BPI is the same goons) has never got it wrong and accused dead ppl or ppl that it has been proved have never owned a pc or even had an internet connection, this is nothing short of Libel. Libel in the UK is a civil and/or criminal offence, maybe Virgin have opened a huge can of worms here.

Quote:
BPI chief executive Geoff Taylor told BBC News that the body was prepared to back up the education campaign with legal action, including taking ISPs to court.

"If we have to go to court, we will go to court and we will win," he said.

One customer who received a letter told BBC Radio 1's Newsbeat programme that he was unhappy with Virgin Media.

Will McGree received a letter in June, warning him that legal action could be taken against him.

He said: "It's doomed to fail. Virgin Media will lose a lot of customers over this because people don't like to be accused of stealing music over their morning coffee.

And the BPI chief tool Geoff Taylor is so sure, have they already paid of the government.

False accusations = mac code now please!

Quote:
The BPI admitted that the current mechanisms for selling music were "broken".

The new strategy will see it negotiating licensed content deals with ISPs who have pursued file sharers.

"We want people to see this not as three strikes and you're out but three strikes and you're in to legitimate music services," said Frederico Bolza, head of strategy at SonyBMG.

Some DRM-free material may be made available and the new subscription models will allow users to keep some of the tunes they download, he said.

and then comes the rhetoric of subscription services, the RIAA's wet dream, sell us all the back catalogue, yet again, while they continue to promote complete talentless crud while and skim all the profits for themselves. Was this their plan when they tried destroy online radio streaming services like pandora b y charging ludicrously high royalties or buying them out like last FM.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 05 Jul 2008 @ 2:29

105.7.2008 14:06

F*CK the system, because the system is F*CKing U... i mean that's just wrong in so many ways!!! where's privasy???

117.7.2008 13:24

Quote:
Earlier this year, it was reported that both the UK and France were planning a "3 Stikes" plan that would ban alleged file sharers from the Internet after three warnings.
stikes?
:P

MA AHAHAHAHHA *noogies*

Altho I am one to say 30% of my words can be "re done" with a spell checker and I'll only catch half of the new words :P

127.7.2008 14:21

Quote:

stikes?

MA AHAHAHAHHA *noogies*

Altho I am one to say 30% of my words can be "re done" with a spell checker and I'll only catch half of the new words :P
I'm keeping my eye on you :P

139.7.2008 18:59
blueroad
Inactive

Quote:
Quote:

stikes?

MA AHAHAHAHHA *noogies*

i dun get it ><
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 09 Jul 2008 @ 7:01

149.7.2008 19:11

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

stikes?

MA AHAHAHAHHA *noogies*

i dun get it ><
Its called word play I jab at him he jabs at me and as long as I keep my idoitness in check I wont be jabbed by the ban hammer ^_~

159.7.2008 19:26
varnull
Inactive

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7492907.stm

It's not just us campaigners who find this unsettling. Does anybody know how the vote went? We have heard nothing, so I assume they got kicked off the table.

edit... looks like they believe they can ignore public opinion. My name is legion, because I am millions.

http://www.delusionofgrandeur.co.uk/2008...age-amendments/

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 09 Jul 2008 @ 7:30

169.7.2008 19:26

If you "dun" get it, then "dun" post.

179.7.2008 19:28

Originally posted by Ripper:
still not behaving? :X

189.7.2008 19:31
varnull
Inactive

There is a very important subject here. VERY IMPORTANT! to our basic rights and freedoms.. This must not be allowed to pass onto the European statutes.

199.7.2008 19:34

Originally posted by varnull:
There is a very important subject here. VERY IMPORTANT! to our basic rights and freedoms.. This must not be allowed to pass onto the European statutes.
The trouble is it probably will sheeple apathy leads itself to the slaughter more than anything else,hopefully it will create a temporary political awaking and it will be over turned.

209.7.2008 19:35

Originally posted by ZippyDSM:
Pardon?

219.7.2008 19:36

Quote:
Pardon?

Just a playful jab ^^

229.7.2008 19:41

Right.. I don't think I said anything out of line ^.~

Please tell me otherwise ;-)

239.7.2008 19:44

Right.. I don't think I said anything out of line ^.~

Please tell me otherwise ;-)
Oh so you are not behaving normally then? :P

no no your fine ^_~

2410.7.2008 12:45
varnull
Inactive

oh FFS.. can't we discuss the subject with out all this pointless crap..

Forget it.. just close it because people obviously don't give a flying f--k about their basic privacy rights.

When the thought police come through your door don't expect me to speak out for you.

2510.7.2008 12:54

Originally posted by varnull:
oh FFS.. can't we discuss the subject with out all this pointless crap..

Forget it.. just close it because people obviously don't give a flying f--k about their basic privacy rights.

When the thought police come through your door don't expect me to speak out for you.
Down girl down I know you are frustrated at this travesty but it comes down to the care factor of the public it always dose if they wont rally agisnt it then they come part of it like with Germany and the Nazis, you might be able to topple it with enough support but without it theres nothign you can do other than rally and protest and hold meetings to get the word out that this BS is corporate villainy!

2610.7.2008 12:58

Let's get back on target people

2710.7.2008 13:00

Originally posted by LOCOENG:
Let's get back on target people
well what can be done other than rallying and protesting and getting the info out to the public?

2810.7.2008 14:21

Zip, I was referring to the exchange between Ripper and yourself which prompted this ~ http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/679890/4146271

2910.7.2008 14:32

Originally posted by LOCOENG:
Zip, I was referring to the exchange between Ripper and yourself which prompted this ~ http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump....4146271

sorry sorry, didn't think a couple OT posts would bring in teh fuzz ^^
I shall try and behave better ^^

3010.7.2008 15:17

And I said sorry to Jan earlier, but thanks Scott.

/me is off to play in the motorway and vote bnp

3113.7.2008 06:53
blueroad
Inactive

Quote:
Quote:
Pardon?

Just a playful jab ^^
LOL that one i totally got :P:P ^^

3225.10.2009 05:10

Only your government has to be concerned with observing basic privacy laws. Businesses can and will make you agree to give up whatever rights they want to in those thousand word, small-print preambles that nobody reads until their lawyers let them know they signed their life away to get Internet at $10 a month.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive