1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video Capture Screen does not even open [any software i tried]

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by MALIX, Jul 11, 2008.

1. MALIX

MALIX Member

I've a MiniDV Sony camcorder, and using Vista 32-bit.

I wanted to capture video to my computer, I installed the Pixela Image Mixer software that came with the camera itself. When I click the "Capture" to open the capture section [not the button that starts capturing, just opening the capture section] the software freezes and does not respond.

Then I try Roxio Creater that came with my PC, when I click the "video capture" button to go to that section, a small splash screen appears for half-a-second [or less] saying loading or something, but nothing opens.

Finally, when I try with Sony Vegas: I open the Capture Video menu, and it gives this error: The device 'Hauppauge WinTV 885 Video Capture' could not be opened. Please make sure that it is turned on and is not being used by another application or user.

Can anyone help me with this?

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

How do you have that Sony connected to your computer? If it isn't connected via firewire, it isn't going to work.

I capture, using Roxio, N-ero, and a couple other programs with no problem. I won't use that junk Pixela software. Yours probably isn't updated to Vista. Check Sony's site to see if they and update.

3. MALIX

MALIX Member

Hi, I connect using USB-cable. You're right, the Pixela doesnt support Vista so I changed its compatibility mode to Run as XP before opening it. One thing, with my old XP PC, I could capture using USB.

But this time Vegas and Roxio can't even show the Capture screen [USB connected or not, same happens with both].

Could it be that I turned off something necessary in the start-up panel, or the services tab in the Task Manager? Because I remember changing some start-up to get a faster start-up.

4. nickberry

nickberry Regular member

I may be wrong, but i dont think your computer should be regcognising your 'Sony MiniDV camcorder' as a 'Hauppauge WinTV 885 Video Capture'....

Did you once have a WinTV card in the computer - Are you selecting the correct capture device in your software?

5. MALIX

MALIX Member

I think my PC has that TV card. Selecting the capture device, I can't even select that, the whole Capture panel doesn't open at all.

6. PFloyd

PFloyd Regular member

USB is for the photos on the memory card. Firewire is for video.

7. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

You need to get a firewire cable and capture as a DV-AVI file. That will give you the best quality video file.

8. turkk001

turkk001 Member

You can't capture anything from a camcorder as long as you have that stupid hauppauge wintv 885 card. It overrides everything else and will appear instead of the camera no matter what program you use. I took mine out and my camcorder has been working fine since then. Sucks unfortunately :(

9. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Nonsense! How did you have your video camera connected to your computer?

Unless there is some huge bug, with that Hauppauge card, connecting via firewire should work with no problems at all.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2008