1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I dunno, I just plant OCZ in the Crucial group. Some might be alright, but they've made some real trash in their time. To my knowledge, Corsair and G-Skill never have.

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Crucial used to make THE BEST stuff before their recent fiasco. Micron D9 baby.

3. greensman

greensman Regular member

rick if you get both of those for the 80-something dollars then that's a lovely price coupled with the MIR's. :) I don't see anything wrong with either product if you're using them for sensible applications and NOTHING to wild. ;) That RAM is difficult to pass up but I have some spare sticks already..... I'm thinking about some 2x2GB atm. Just need to find the right deal and I'll have some on the way. :)

good luck with your selections buddy. :0

....gm

I have a/some question(s) fellas and I'm sure I know the answer but I like input anyway. :)

If I get some 2x2GB sticks, would that be better over getting 4x1GB sticks if the same speed is used and the manufacturer doesn't matter?? I've heard that the 2 sticks will OC better than the 4... oh and btw if I does this it may be on a Vista 32 bit machine.... so what about that as a difference as well? tia ppl.. :)

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Well here it is, Just as I said it would be, several months back. My friends, who are major stockholders in Micro$oft told me months ago that Vista would be no more as of late 08 to early 09. Microsoft introduced it's replacement today with the introduction of Windows 7! Vista is no more as of today!

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/29/technology/business-computing/29soft.html

Russ

5. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Just like micrsoft start 2 get something a little closer 2 right and quit. Wonder when this will hit the net

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

The word on that is late 08, early 09! My guess would be mid 09! Vista will be back, as they plan a Win 7 Vista Edition which is supposed to be the best of XP and Vista, but from what I've heard about Win 7, it will do most of that now, besides, the name is associated with Failure, so I doubt there will ever be a Vista Edition. Vista will be around for a while yet though, and improvements will still be made to it in the form of patches and upgrades. Good PR for M$ too as vista didn't sell very well. Its Windows unit reported just a 2 percent rise in revenue against a 4 percent decline in operating income, in a Market seemingly owned by M$! Those are some seriously bad numbers! Office software made more money than the Operating System, with a 23% increase in revenues!

I personally think that M$ got tired of having their dinky knocked in the dirt by Apple with their very successful Mac ads comparing the Mac to the PC! As Problems with Vista surfaced, Apple took advantage with their Mac ads, even more!

I think what it really all boils down to is that M$ has given up on vista! They just can't afford to put any more money into it. Like you said, "Just like micrsoft starts 2 get something a little closer 2 right and quit"! When it's costing you twice as much as what you are making, it's time to close the barn door! One thing's for sure, Windows 7 won't be giving compatibility issues with hardware, so if you want to use a different printer, you don't have to go through all the Compatibility/Security BS, and that's a good thing for all of us!

Russ

7. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Ouch, sure glad i didn't bother with Vista then, i'll be interested in it's replacement as long as it's able to run on 'normal' ie modest machines. Just because latest pc's are very powerful doesn't mean an OS should automatically use ALL of that power. There's also been too much talk of DRM functionality being put into Vista. Whether or not that's true i don't know but i certainly won't be a guinea pig, the media in use on my machines is my business, not Microsoft's.

It's very telling that (for instance) XP has been around for sooo long and Vista's death knell seems to have been announced already. I say for instance as there's more than just Windows out there (and i don't count Mac OS).

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ironically, Vista is close to being a useful OS for everyone, but it took so long to get there, people lost interest. XP fortunately pulled it off in well under a year (by the '2002 edition') and escaped Windows 2000. Plus, it was pretty easy since the home user OS before it was Me. ugh.

9. spamual

spamual Guest

untill SP2 XP was a BSODing nightmare for me :(

but i did love XP!

vista on the other hand for me, even pre SP1 has been wonderfull.

cant wait for windows 7, and then the usual people who will (once again) be flaming the new OS left right and centre.

going form 98SE, i remmeber it for 2000, ME, XP and vista.

im pretty sure no bashing will be from the current XP users that upgrade, btu form vista users now, who are content.

and really, why should you expect vista to run on the same hardware that XP did when XP first came out? vista came a good 6-7 years later, and im glad it does have higher limits as that way people buy better PCs :)

as for sales, IICR vista has been MS fastest selling OS. but i may be wrong, ddint look to much into that.

10. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I'd already made that clear in my previous reply; try and think outside the Microsoft mentality, there's many OS'es out there that don't need to use every ounce of processing power (just to run the OS, and i haven't even mentioned newer versions of Microsoft Outlook - Outlook alone can bring the latest P4 machines to their knees). Not everyone has/wants to have the very latest hardware (though i personally i have a fairly recent Q6600 machine and a handful of Dual Core machines plus some older kit).
    For instance at work the vast majority of pc's (many hundred) simply don't have the oomph to run anything modern. Granted, those machines are (over)due for replacement hence will then have the oomph, but the company doesn't want or need to use Vista just because it's the latest offering, they like to sit back and watch Microsoft to see if it's worth upgrading to, plus one of their key business strategies is to NOT be guinea pigs for companies' software (that applies to every software supplier they deal with btw). What i mean by this is that they sit back and wait until other big companies have used software long enough to know if it's good enough for them to run/wait for lots of the inevitable kinks to be fixed. Also, let's not forget that in companies it's not a small task to upgrade OS'es and other software, it can be a huge undertaking. Can you imagine how company IT bosses must feel after doing huge upgrades only to find they have to do it all again after a short period of time ?, my guess is they wouldn't all be best pleased.

I'm not knocking Vista for the sake of it, i admit to not having used it yet. But if Windows 7 is more lean than Vista then i'll definitely be interested, but NOT if it's a big bloated monster. One of my favourite (current) Linux distributions can run on old P2 hardware and much lesser hardware than that, though the oldest machines i still have in use these days are P3 600's. As i have a mix of old and new machines i use software that's a good fit for each particular machine. I don't believe in ditching hardware (or software) just because it's old or slow, old hardware can still run either the original software or modern lean equivalents ie Linux.
    I have been using Windows since it first came out (even the atrocious WinMe), and variants of DOS before it, so i'm not a Microsoft hater, i just never bought into all the Vista hype, i won't blindly follow Microsoft for ever more just because i liked most of their previous releases (and the same goes for Linux, i will shout as much as the next person if a Linux distro's latest version is crap, slow or just plain pointless).

To finish, i'll repeat what i said further up this reply, If Windows 7 is more lean than Vista then i'll be interested, but NOT if it's a big bloated monster, otherwise i'll be sticking to XP and Linux on my little fleet of machines.

11. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Skipping all this stuff about Vista, Windows 7 looks AMAZING.

I can't wait to try out the beta!!! Very nice interface, and it runs fine on a 1Ghz netbook with 1GB of RAM!

12. spamual

spamual Guest

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, KDE is very vista-esque and modern, and runs fine on an old Sempron with 512MB of RAM. On Vista, that system would barely boot up under the quarter-hour mark, and would be of no use to anyone.
    Vista is useful as an OS, but defending how much it whores hardware is no different do defending how Crysis whores hardware. It's needless, and is why it has earned the reputation it's got.

14. spamual

spamual Guest

i dont think vista brings a 3870 and 3.6GHz Q6600 to its knees at 2560 though.....

15. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ok. ive gone back to the sata hdd that has XP on it. i havent done anything to this hdd. been useing it fora hour or so now..went to use my samsung s203b drive. wont do anything. i look in the control panel it has it as yyyyyyyyyyy:ATA or some sort... i try to use dvdidentifier and it wont display and info on the disc in it.. so i went and uninstalled it rebooted and now windows wont load?????ti comes to the windows screen with the little blue icon spinning around and that s it wont go any farther that that.... but i login to vista and it boots up fine but it say it cant find the driver for the samsung drive???

16. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

on the HP system now.
    it wont even post now??? turn it on and the fans and lights come on then they shut off.. over and over again??? any ideas?

i have had it unplugged and cleared cmos. unplugged the hdd that had vista on it. still the same thing.turns on, the fans spin lights flasj then shuts down and restarts. guess im gonna have to tear it down and redo it..

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Unplug the Samsung drive from the system, what happens then?

What does?

18. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

gonna try that now. i will unplug everything but my main hdd and try it.

nope same problem
    wonder if i need to unplug the sata drive and leave the ide one on and try it

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The reason I suggest that as seeing something like "yyyyyyyyyy:ATA" is not a good sign, it suggests there are big issues with that drive, and a faulty drive could easily stop a system from POSTing.

20. greensman

greensman Regular member

Is that the new HP Christmas tree?? Sounds like it.... :)

....gm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.