1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Rick, pretty sure those style compressors are solely designed with pumping a tire in mind. They wouldn't be good for blowing high pressure ;) The others you listed look good though. I don't know about using one myself though. I'd be nervous about C02/moisture corroding my hardware. But perhaps this is simply paranoia, in that there isn't much moisture accumulated?

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Rick,
    Do you have a "Harbor Freight" near you? Go there, and you will find almost identical compressors for far less money. I bought one with all the trimmings, Hose, Quick Couplings and blowgun, and it all came to $79. The hoses and the fittings cast almost as much as the air compressor. It was on sale for $39. The whole total after tax, was $79 and change!

Russ

3. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Redice. I don't know how much of a budget you wanna spend on a new card but.I would'en get nothing less than a DDR3 to replace the old 7600 GS...Here a few..I would recommend

NVIDIA

512MB
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150493

1GB
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150451

ATI

512MB
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150466

1GB
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150449

All under a Hundred...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2010
  4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

omega, read the specs on it as it has this in it.
    Maximum Pressure : 150 psi

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

That's probably the max it can give something. Let's say a tank can handle 200Psi. That compressor wouldn't be able to fill it up, because the back pressure would be too much. I'm merely thinking this logically though. I could be mistaken?

Those type are usually what you store in a trunk to get you off the side of the road ;) I've had one that couldn't fill a flat tire while weight was on it. If you jacked it up, then pumped, it was good.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  6. ddp

a nail gun needs less than a 100 psi to operate & at 150psi it will do as a blower. tanks don't goto 200psi as my 20gallon tank maxes out at about 150psi

7. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

We have a regulator with a moisture release valve and a filtration system hooked to two 20 gallon industrial grade 200PSI tanks. I believe he has both compressors set to shut off at 170. My dad paints cars so he can't have moisture or cavitation in the paint. I understand this is a bit more than most have but that's how I know I can use the compressor on my kit. Dad and I end up sharing the garage a lot XD

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I guess I was imagining that its air goes in spurts. Not constant flow.

A tank can maintain constant flow, while a compressor cannot. With such a compressor, a bicycle tire for instance, becomes the tank ;)

9. ddp

it will be the same as water comming out of your taps if on city water or on well water with a electric pump & tank. a compressor either comes with a tank or it doesn't. some tanks don't have compressors on them so have to be filled with air from an air compressor & those tanks are called air pigs.

10. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Well I was bored and slap this together real fast nothing special my old ABIT Fatal1ty AA8XE board CincyRob gave me awhile back.I guess when my son get home he'll have something to get online with and do his Itunes with.I only got the Intel Pentium 4 LGA775 3.0GHz 530 Prescott EO...I'll pickup a E7500 for it later at micro center for cheap:)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115056
    it's max is 1066 MHz FSB stock, It was a King of it's Day back then...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I fired it up B4.I put it the case just to see how it would act
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I like the backview the fan kick in at a certain temp
    [​IMG]

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Abit/AA8XE/

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2010
  11. redice

redice Regular member

12. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Would personally go for the 4670. Capable card, way more powerful than the 4650 for not much more price.

13. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Creaky doesn't have home depot's over there lol, but I think he has stores called B&Q, I think they are called, if you can find a compressor like Russ is talking about that's what I would go for, they are great and release hardly any moisture if at all.

I myself used a regular auto shop big compressor a while back and I know you guys will cut my head off for suggesting it which of course they do have moisture I used it successfully, maybe because I was lucky but I just hated paying those prices for 30 second spray cans, later I bought a little vacuum kit from a Oreck vacuum outlet which works great in sucking and blowing and came with special attachments just for PC cleaning, unfortunately you don't have that store either, but I would not be scared of small compressors especially the kind Russ is talking about, I know those places like B&Q carry them cause I saw them when I was there, but I must admit your prices over there are much higher than ours.

14. greensman

greensman Regular member

15. greensman

greensman Regular member

Fred it's ok if you turn the air down a bit and use a filter for your out going line for collecting the "moisture" that everyone worries about. Remember they use those types of compressors for painting cars and such too... they HAVE to use some sort of filtration system to keep "water" from messing up a multi-thousand $$$$ paint job. ;)

I didn't see the B&Q store you mentioned but I"m sure CREAKY has an idea now. ;)

16. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

It's alright But for $10 more dollars I get this one instead for low budget card plus you have that option of HDMI,D-SUB,DVI Ports Plus you get DDR3 memory onboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150493

Or if you like ATI cards step down to this also
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150393

Your money Best of Luck my friend:)

17. redice

redice Regular member

bigwill68

thanks for the help. i'm really liking the ati card that i picked and the XFX HD-467X-DDF2 Radeon HD 4670 1GB that you picked here so one of those two will be it.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I didn't forget XFX, but they don't make nvidia cards any more. They left after the GTX400 series was released with 'comeback pending'. XFX and BFG were in my mind nvidia's two best partners.

No need for a 1GB card in that range really. You'll never use it. Your best option would be an HD5670 512MB really, assuming it's in budget.

19. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

omegaman7 : Your absolutely wrong ! these R the type U need , you figure 90lbs air constant flow seems like a lot of PRESSURE . BUT WITH THE the Blower Nozzle your grtting exactly what you need to clean away the dust...Now I do recomend that if U live in a very Humid Atmosphere , You get a Moister Extractor
    Russ has one similar, I've got one ...But yes these are Construction type Compressors
    My Computer Tech has a 40CFM IN HIS SHOP

I keep my Compressor at 90 lbs, stays constant, and delivers enough air to clear away all matter

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2010
  20. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

multipost removed, site is playing silly beggars

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.