1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Original Xbox - Softmod and Xplorer360 mess, help!

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by viper162, Jul 20, 2008.

1. viper162

viper162 Guest

I need help from some of the Xbox modding experts here. I'm stuck and don't know how to proceed with fixing my system.

It all started when I did a softmod on my original Xbox system. The softmod worked, but somehow I did something that would not allow it to boot to the dashboard. There was a service error, but no error code. After working with Xplorer360 beta6 I was finally able to get the dashboard restored and the system working again. I thought "this is great!, now I can softmod it again." After copying partition 3 and 4 to the computer hard drive for a backup, I downloaded Shademand's Ready Made Xbox SoftMod and deleted the file and folders in partition 3 and 4 and copied the files from the CD (made from the ISO) to the Xbox hard drive. I was using the diskswap or hotswap method as it's called. Upon reboot, nothing worked and I got the same error that I had gotten originally.

Yes, I did make a backup on the computer hard drive of partition 3 and 4 before I deleted them. So I did the hotswap again and tried to use Xplorer360 (XP360) to delete the modded files and copy the original files back. Now when I use XP360 to delete files, it just gives me the hourglass and doesn't do anything! I have tried different versions of the program and I am still unable to delete files without XP360 locking up.

I am in need of your help! I have the files that I need to copy back to the drive and the hotswap method still works. I am able to see the partitions and files in XP360. Sometimes I can copy or delete files and folders, but it usually ends up with the hourglass in XP. A stable working version of XP360 would be great and would make for an easy solution. I need your advice as to how to proceed.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated as my Xbox is not worth much as a brick!

Please help,

Thanks!!

Viper162

2. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

Wow i think you missed the first and most important step of modding. Always back up your eeprom

Anyway all hope isn't lost. How are you connecting the drive when it's attached to the computer? I've only had to hotswap once in my entire time in modding (rj45 port wasn't working) and it went perfect on the first try. If i were you i would try to backup the eeprom either from an exploit or even making a eeprom reader. Then you can unlock the drive without worrying about the xbox turning off while the computer is connected. You can also upgrade the hdd in the xbox this way. I also have a set of modded C files. I call it my cheater C and it's located in my signature. You can download these files and replace your C: with mine and when you turn your xbox back on it will be modded.

So you have a few options. Anyway here's what you're asking for

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J4YKAC98 - Xplorer360

use this Tutorial http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/332766

And if things don't work out http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/357863

Let me know how it turns out.

3. viper162

viper162 Guest

Thank you for the quick reply!

I did do a system backup when I loaded the Softmod, but I don't remember it asking me to backup the eeprom. I used the Slayer Auto Installer softmod.

I had Xplorer360 working, but for some reason, now it is very unstable. It just gives me the hourglass in windows when I copy or delete a file. I am able to see the partitions on the drive though.

Is there a better way to copy files back to the original Xbox hard drive? As I stated before, I am having issues with Xplorer360. If I can get reliable copy/delete access to the drive then I can restore my original files that I backed up.

Any ideas?

4. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

Yeah of course there is, if you've looked around the forum you will see everyone using ftp to gain access to their xbox. Basically to mod the xbox you don't even need to take it apart. You need an exploit and a game that the exploit was written for and either a network or a crossover cable connected to your pc. All modded dashes already have the access to ftp opened up. It's fairly simple so i'll tell you how to do it here and if that doesn't work for you just search afterdawn for "how to ftp" and you'll get a lot of threads with help.

My way you do this with a networked xbox. Make sure your xbox goes to your switch or router and make sure your computer goes to that same network. This configuration is for DHCP enabled networks.

Turn on your xbox it should get an ip address. Go into settings if you don't see it, go under network and you should see it there.

It will look similar to 192.168.0.3 as an example

(Just for refrence 192.168.0.1 will be your default gateway and 192.168.0.2 would be your computer)

If using windows xp sp2 or later double click on a folder to open it up. Type in "ftp://xbox:xbox@192.168.0.3" in the address bar and hit enter.

(Just for refrence again the code string is ftp://user:password@ip of device)

This should open a folder with C, E, X, Y, Z folders.

These folders are your different partitions

C - System folder
    E - Game Saves folder
    X,Y,Z - Temp folders

You should know what you're doing from here.

(Note if you attempt to copy a file in use the ftp process will fail. This is more than likely a skin file being used.)

If your xbox isn't modded use one of the exploits (splinter cell, Mech Assualt, or Bond AUF)to unlock ftp access.

That's about it, this won't work for everyone but there are many tutorials out there so just search. If you need help ftping just send me a pm, i've helped countless people through yahoo messenger (contact info in AD Profile).

5. viper162

viper162 Guest

Thanks for the quick reply. I did try the softmod and it failed. I am assuming that if it worked I would have FTP access to the hard drive.

So, when the system is not able to boot to the dashboard, then I have to use the hotswap method, correct? That's my issue. I need to get the working files back on the hard drive and Xplorer360 does not seem stable enough to allow me to do that. Is there any other way to get the files back on the hard drive when the Xbox system will not boot to the dashboard and you don't have FTP access?

Thanks again!

6. vanteks1

vanteks1 Member