1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Streaming .avi's to my TV.

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by Elimin8r, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Elimin8r

Elimin8r Member

ok I havnet found the answer to this anywhere so if anyone can help it would be appreciated.

I have an immense DVD collection that my children are slowly destroying. I have begun to make backups of my DVD's and converting them to .avi's to save space onmy HD.

What I would like to do is to be able to stream these avi's directly to my TV. What I have been doing now is copying the .avi's to a 2gb flash drive and putting that in my Phillips DVD player. Works ok but takes longer to copythan it would to "find" the original DVD in my house somewhere- dam kids.

I have heard I may be able to do this with an XBOX 360 but unless I can get a good quality feed with no interruptions (I have access to anything computer or network I would need)it wouldnt be worth the hassle. I've also heard there are boxes that can do this, I am not interested in paying $3000 for this technology as Im sure it can be done cheaper.

Any help would be appreciated. Thx

2. ugc

ugc Regular member

3. jorooney

jorooney Member

I do exactly this in my house. Get a program called TVersity. this is installed on a PC in the house (with the movies on it). I can then stream movies from this PC onto the xbox360. I think thats what you want - yeah ?

Need any advice let me know.

cheers

Joe.

4. centinall

centinall Member

People seem to love the Popcorn Hour device. Inexpensive, well supported, small and easy to use. There are some reviews about it on Engadget.

Personally, I have a PS3 and an Acer x1200. I'm still trying to figure out the best solution.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  5. savlon

savlon Guest

hi every one, i was looking for a streaming device to send my movies from my pc to my plasma tv and i was talking to a guy who work in the computer shop and he said he hada streaming device that would do this , but i am in my late 60s so i asked himto installed it, the firs question he asked was had i playstation 3 i said yes but i bought it to play blueray movies any way he installed this program called twonky media but it was a trail for a month but he never said and he installed it in 5mins a it cost me £80 pounds but when the the tral was up i had to pay $24dollars but that was not bad and it does work i think its brillant music, movies, photoes, and it goes through my playstation 3 no wires nothing , just one of the we usb things plug into the playstation3 and all i do is load TWONKY MEDIA on my computer go to my tv and click hdmion the tv and it starts all my movies are ther and my daughters music etc and the quality is brillant, it allso plays through the xbox, so its wroth a try this twonky media is on some sites to download free if you look around ok

6. ferguj1

ferguj1 Regular member

If you have a ps3, the best media server that I have found is the PS3 Media Server. It is free and written specifically for the ps3. Works great and best of very little if any (depends on preferences) setup.

7. isey78

isey78 Member

XBMC

...come on people!

8. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Nothing can beat XBMC. You'll have about 90some% of the codecs available. Plus the extras- HULU, youtube, XM Radio,...Get an old XBOX for dirt cheap...You might have one laying around collecting dust while being used as a door stop.

9. Andy7472

Andy7472 Member

Might want to look for a video card that has VGA / HDMI capabilities. I'm using one (HDMI) that the ony drawback is that it shows the limitations of an avi file a lot clearer (pixelation). if you can overlook that... can't say I wouldn't recomend it. Sound comes out as good as the source allows. Maybe not THX quality, but it sounds pretty good on my setup. ( thx certified receiver.)