AfterDawn: Tech news

Zenith creates desktop countdown to US DTV transition

Written by Rich Fiscus @ 29 Jul 2008 4:34 User comments (10)

Zenith creates desktop countdown to US DTV transition Zenith has already shipped more than 1 million DTV converter boxes to retailers across the US. Today they announced a deal to sell more of their $60 through K-Mart.
"Today, we're pleased to announce that K Mart has joined the list of large retailers now carrying the Zenith DTT901, a remarkable product no bigger than a hardback book that can bring the wonders of digital TV broadcasting even to the oldest of analog TV sets," said Zenith Senior VP Richard Lewis.

"Sales to retailers have already exceeded a million units at a wide assortment of stores, from national retailers Circuit City and RadioShack to regional dealers such as Fry's, h.h.Gregg, Abt Electronics, Brandsmart, PC Richard, Nebraska Furniture Mart and others," Lewis said, adding that production is increasing to meet the growing demand.

With just over 200 days remaining before the mandatory shutoff of nearly all analog TV signals in the US they're also offering a new widget for Google Desktop and Yahoo Widgets. Called the DTV Countdown Clock, it's a timer that counts down the number of days, hours, minutes, and seconds until the official cutover on February 17, 2009.

Previous Next  

10 user comments

129.7.2008 16:54

What kind of news is this?

We already know about the analog TV cutoff, it's pointless to let us know "ohh there's a counter now you can download and waste some desktop space!".

Sorry, but there's free websites where we can make counters ourselves. This is a pointless newspost.

229.7.2008 17:19
varnull
Inactive

And what about the digital coverage? DTV signals don't cope well in "fringe" areas, where analog is just about acceptable most days a digital signal will be unusable (I'm talking from experience here.. I live in a poor reception hole.. with bad co-channel interference from a couple of sources)

When DTV broadcasting works it's great, but when your reception is marginal due to distance or local conditions it's intolerable. Wait for the kicking off from all those rural users who live 40 or more miles from their local transmitter and currently put up with marginal analog reception.. I can see some very red faces in government this time next year.

330.7.2008 00:13

I'm in the same boat... I live around 60 miles give or take from the nearest stations... Analog comes in no problem but digital comes in like s**t... I get one station instead of 12!?!?!

430.7.2008 00:17

Originally posted by engage16:
I'm in the same boat... I live around 60 miles give or take from the nearest stations... Analog comes in no problem but digital comes in like s**t... I get one station instead of 12!?!?!
Same here. I've got one channel now, which does not bother me so much as the lady of the house.

530.7.2008 00:49

Hurray for Canada! Four more years to go!

630.7.2008 06:01
1bonehead
Inactive

Originally posted by rvinkebob:
Hurray for Canada! Four more years to go!

Don't rub it in as I'm in the US.

730.7.2008 16:42

Well fellas, I live a half mile from two different towers and no more than 1.5 miles from my local NBC affiliate.

I recently purchased DirecTV's OTA AM-21 device, so I could get my digital HD locals integrated into DirecTV service. Let's just say that indoor "rabbit ear" antennas aren't going to get the job done anymore. Because of the close proximity of the CBS/FOX and ABC towers, it drowned out the NBC signal. Yes, it would come in, but usually with heavy pixelation, to the point where it was unwatchable, and this is at no less than 50% signal from a tower 1.5 miles away!

Fortunately for me, the house I just purchased still had the good old UHF/VHF antenna hookup outside, and all it took was a wire run to my AM-21 OTA tuner to fix my situation. Now the broadcasts come in flawless.

My next step is to hopefully beef up my equipment, since I live 60 miles or less from 3 other metro areas, and hopefully can pick up their OTA broadcasts as well (esp for NFL games!) For those who have this luxury, it's icing on the cake, however...

I cannot begin to imagine the nightmares this will cause for those without access to outdoor antennas, or where reception is weak due to distance or line of sight. My uncle cannot get ANY of his digital channels to come in without pixelation, off his indoor "powered" antenna, and he's only a 15 minute drive away.

830.7.2008 16:48
theridges
Inactive

Everybody complaining should understand that when everything goes digital the broadcast are going to be much stronger.....

930.7.2008 21:40
1bonehead
Inactive

Originally posted by theridges:
Everybody complaining should understand that when everything goes digital the broadcast are going to be much stronger.....

We hope.

102.8.2008 16:00

Digital is much stronger I get long distant signals much better then analog ones. Go DTV wish they would have transitioned earlier as they intended too.

This countdown is sooooo lame lets get a life here and quit crying about it!

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive