1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem Using Video Studio 10 - Start Time After End Time

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by rickland, Jul 31, 2008.

1. rickland

rickland Member

I have this problem with Video Studio 10 from time to time and it usually occurs within the first one minute of video capturing but this time it occured at 1 hour and 15 minutes into the capturing. Needless to say, all that capturing was wasted time; it doesn't save what has already been captured before the error strikes.

I have absolutely no idea what it means, no idea what causes it, and no idea on how to prevent it from occuring.

I hope someone here has VS 10 experience and can give me the lowdown.

The error goes like this:

Unexpected error: The sample start time is after the sample end time.

Most of the time it does not occur but it will from time to time. Usually, I allow 2 minutes of capturing as I watch it just to see if the error is going to occur. If within the first 2 minutes nothing happens I can generally assume it will be OK so then I can leave for about an hour or so. But last night it occured after 1 hour and 15 minutes into the capturing. Not good! The .AVI file is in the folder and it has a hugh file size (like about 24GB) but it has a duration time of 00:00:00:00. So, it's wasted.

Even if no one has had VS 10 experience with this problem I hope that someone could tell me what the statement means in terms of video capturing.

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I don't know about that software, but I have made it a practice to capture no more than about 20 minutes of video at one time.

I then back the tape up a few seconds and capture the next 20 minutes, and repeat until I have captured the entire tape, which in my case, is only 60 minutes with my minDV tape camcorder. Then, when I edit the videos, I cut out the overlap on the second capture session, and the video production is seamless.

The reason that I do this is, no matter how fast your computer is, there can be a hiccup when capturing a long tape, and if there is, that is where most folks have the A/V sync problems.

I know that this isn't the problem you are having, but the scenario may work out better for you, too.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  3. rickland

rickland Member

Well, now that the problem is occuring quite often; yesteday about 10 times during a 120 minute capturing, I too have to capture approx 20 to 30 minutes at a time. I did that yesterday and like you backed up the next segment about 1 minute and started the next capturing. Using Video Studio it is quite easy to edit and splice together the segments. But the hang up here is that I can't start a capture and then walk away for the full duration of the video. Now I have to stay around and thats another problem.

As far as the problem goes it used to do it just once in a while and then only within the first 1 to 2 minutes but now it occurs several times during a single capturing session. Totally unrealiable.

I really don't think it's the software, per se, but rather something else that is triggering it to occur.

I have searched Google for a hint about this problem but so far no explanation. It won't do any good to post this problem with Ulead Video Studio Support since thay have never responded to any of my questions. I even went to the Video Studio Forums and searched for this particular problem but came up with zero hits.

I don't even understand the syntax of the error message. When it says Start time is after end time has absolutely no meaning to me. I mean I can reason with it abit but to try and visualize it in my head I come up blank.

4. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software? That error message certainly is perplexing.

Have you defragged your hard drive lately? Just grasping at straws.