1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Use Router as Xbox WIFI Adapter?

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by bkling, Aug 10, 2008.

1. bkling

bkling Member

Got a modded Xbox and 2 wireless router modems.

One of the router modem is being used for internet acess with my notebook and located at 2nd storey.

My problem is this Xbox does not have WIFI and is located at 1st storey. I do not wish to run cable all the way to second storey for internet connection. Can I use my spared wireless router modem to connect to this XBOX and communicate with my internet modem at 2nd storey. How can we do it and can experienced forumer give me step by step tutorial?

Thanks

Allan

2. mrgooey

mrgooey Regular member

3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Another option to consider is (if routers are compatible and you feel a little brave) is to use DD-WRT firmware and have both routers connected together via 'WDS' (Wireless Distribution System). This might be more work than mrgooey's suggestion but i'll briefly detail it just in case.

Downstairs i have my cable modem, hanging off that is a Buffalo wifi router. A couple downstairs pc's are ethernet connected into this Buffalo.
    There's many pc's and xboxes upstairs and some of the pc's didn't used to get reliable enough connection to downstairs wifi router (the Buffalo and the same happened with the Buffalo's predecessor, a Linksys running stock firmware). Anyway, now there's a Buffalo upstairs that talks to the downstairs Buffalo via WDS, and this spreads the wifi/internet connection throughout the upstairs.
    All the pc's and xboxes upstairs are ethernet connected into the secondary Buffalo (and with a few standard ethernet switches as there's so many pc's and xboxes).

I used a wifi gaming adapter previously, on the one xbox and i didn't find it reliable, hence moving to wired connections, but the way i have things setup means i can still add wifi machines to the mix if i don't want wires in certain rooms.

As i say this might be much more work than you need or want, it's just my 2 pence :)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  4. drock1286

drock1286 Member

If you do go with using DD-WRT then I would suggest following this wiki tutorial for it...
    HERE

WDS will cut your distance and speed of transmission in half because it has to make an extra hop and the middle router has to take turns talking and being talked to from both sides...its well documented and if all you are wanting to do is connect you xbox to your network, the Wireless Bridge is recommended. Just be sure to use IE when setting up your router as Firefox 3 wouldn't work for me for some reason...

5. creaky

As i said, my method wasn't necessarily the best for the OP's problem; nevertheless, living in a huge Victorian house with 50ft thick walls i can vouch for the fact that WDS works very well indeed, regardless of distance and speed lost by the WDS itself.

6. drock1286

drock1286 Member

To each his own I guess. :)

7. creaky

Absolutely. The OP may well be better off with the bridging suggestion, i personally find the WDS type idea is more flexible, if more pc's/xboxes/etc are to be added to the mix later on.