1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

vga to rca wiring diagram

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by oldwombat, Sep 24, 2008.

1. oldwombat

oldwombat Member

has anyone got or know where i can get a wiring diagram for vga to rca
    please

2. dailun

dailun Active member

Please restate your question. VGA is a standard with pinouts. RCA is manufacturer, not a spec. If you are trying to connect a VGA video card to a monitor with RCA input jacks, you need to know the specs of the monitor to see if it will even work. What are the RCA jacks marked for inputs?

If the monitor has RCA jacks for input it is probably not a compatible monitor and you are wasting your time trying to connect it to a VGA output.

3. phill2000

phill2000 Guest

Actually RCA is another name for the typical "Phono" plug. It tends to be the American name for it.

If you are trying to make a VGA - RCA / Phono cable you need to know what pins [look here] you need to take from the VGA output. I would suggest looking at the device your trying to connect the phono connectors to, and see if that indicates anything.

I have seen a VGA > RGB connector which basically takes a VGA output, and provides 4 / 5 outputs in the form of phono connectors. These are red, green, and blue, and usually either a v-sync on its own, or including a h-sync output. Please do not get these outputs confused with composite outputs used in HDTV's!!! They are NOT the same!

These VGA > RGB were more commonly used with older VDU's but I know a few plasma / LCD TV's are using them!

If you want the schematic for the VGA > RGB convertor then you can look here.

Let us know how you get on.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

VGA to Component is easy as both are RGB signals. VGA to composite (yellow plug) is not so easy as Composite I believe still uses L/C. Some displays can accept a composite L/C signal through a VGA plug, but not the reverse. In order to connect a PC to a TV that only has Composite inputs (which it sounds like you're doing) you need to start with an S-Video output, not VGA. If you have integrated graphics, and therefore no S-Video connector to work with, you will have to buy an adapter box for this purpose, hacking a cable apart won't do.