1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to transfer recording on PVR box to laptop?

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by smudger24, Oct 6, 2008.

1. smudger24

smudger24 Regular member

I am using a TheBox PVR and want to know how to transfer a recording to my laptop.
    I have the null moden cable just need instructions on how to do this please.

Ta.

2. jbvideo

jbvideo Regular member

Hi
    Not with Null Modem Cable.
    You transfer via USB to USB and use the PVR's menu system for Data transfer, A correct ended USB lead is needed between PVR and PC.
    Then you will need some software to convert the PVR files to view on the PC, I find it a right pain to do it this way and far, far easier and much, much quicker to get a cheap DVD recorder and scart your recordings from the PVR to a DVD, then from DVD to PC if needed.
    jbvid

3. smudger24

smudger24 Regular member

I have just ordered a USB to RS232 cable. Is this the correct one?

I will look to but a cheap DVD recorder in the future.

What software do I need to convert the PVR files? What format are the files?

And last question, do I just go to HDD Mode Change, then put in password? If so, what happens then, how do I transfer the files? I have tried this to see what happens, but it just changes to PC and no other menu appears. Please advise.

Ta.

4. jbvideo

jbvideo Regular member

Hi
    Your keen, slow down a bit, too many questions, no reading.
    I told you which cable you want in my last post (did you read it at all????) USB to USB, (Not USB to RS232) but you may need one of those to update your firmware. (Read up about updating firmware) You can start by useing the 'Search Messages' box at the top of the Forum as you need to learn a lot first, its all been told before then take a look back at some Starview PVR threads, it all there.

Not sure what the conversion S/W is, files are *.PVR
    Yes to last question, then drag n drop as you do with USB files.

Here is one I searched for you.
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/664753
    jbvid

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  5. smudger24

smudger24 Regular member

Thank you. I did read your last post. Don't see it as wrong to ask if the other cable will work.
    Shame about the tone of your reply. A bit unnecessary I thought. Surely asking a couple of questions would save endless posting and replying by us both when this way it could get resolved quicker.
    I am very grateful for your help, but get very frustrated, when using sites of this nature, to get replies that make you feel that you are being treated like a stupid school child.

"Yes to last question, then drag n drop as you do with USB files." doesn’t really answer my question either. Does another menu appear? What does drag n drop as you do with USB files mean?
    Judging by other replies I have read on other posts I am guessing that you will take offence to this post and come back with more unnecessary comments. I am not trying to offend you but just to put our position when requesting the help of you blessed people.
    We are very grateful for your time and effort but don't want to have to worry how to phrase all of our posts in case we get another cantankerous reply.

Thank You.

6. jbvideo

jbvideo Regular member

@smudger24
    I am not trying to offend you either and these are not unnecessary comments but, you don't know enough about basics, You need to go on a PC course if you don't know how to drag and drop files.(even Google knows what drag and drop is)
    I'll leave it to someone else to spoonfeed you, then you won't need to see my tone or worry about any future cantankerous replies.
    Bye jbvid

7. smudger24

smudger24 Regular member

I think your reply says it all!
    I rest my case.
    It there for all to see!

jbvid = sad/bully

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  8. smudger24

smudger24 Regular member

9. gary2005

gary2005 Regular member