1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you delete Haali Media Splitter?

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by caribgood, Oct 15, 2008.

1. caribgood

caribgood Guest

This question was asked before HERE and was never properly answered before the site's 60 day lock out on forums occurred. Therefore, I am forced to repeat the question: How do you delete Haali Media Splitter from one's computer?

Attar, who obviously has never had to deal with Haali, simply gave the basic instructions of removing most software from Windows-based computers. What he did is a disservice.

Rule 1) Attar: If you have never dealt with a particular software before, do not assume that the methods used for other software will work on Haali.

If nothing else, you have confirmed that we should not listen to your advice.

Haali tags along with other programs and appears on your system without warning or invitation. It proceeds to try and launch itself and crash whenever you browse a directory that happens to have a video file in it. It does not appear in add/remove, gives no clue as to what program installed it, and has over 30 registry entries. Locating and removing these registry entries does not delete Haali from one's computer.

It hangs out under various other names and registry keys and reloads itself within seconds of deletion.

I would class Haali as a very disgusting but so far non-destructive Trojan.

Any help in finding a permanent way to delete Haali would be appreciated.

2. AXT

AXT Guest

Have you tried re-installing the uninstalling again? That sometimes works. Too bad you are having trouble with it. It is a great piece of software.

3. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Attar gave good advice. I haven't had any programs, on my computer, that couldn't be removed through Add/Remove Programs.

Perhaps a Format C: will work for you. :wink:

4. mb4web

mb4web Member

"Format C:" - spoken like a true M$ Windows user. :)

Not all apps will show up in add/remove and not all apps come with uninstallers for third-party software they may add during the uninstall process. Some don't have uninstallers at all. I made the mistake of installing codecs from where there is no uninstaller. I do know where they've been installed and can find some of the registry entries but do I risk partial cleaning. Probably not a big deal but would still be nice to find out how to fully uninstall Haali.

I wonder if installing the true package from then uninstalling it would work. I'll try it and post back later.

MB

5. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Hmmmm. If the program doesn't show in Add/Remove Programs, then I don't want it on my computer. A :wink: for you, too. :)

6. davexnet

davexnet Active member

I took a look at my own install and there is a
    uninstall.exe in the programs folder. Try running that.

When you reinstall it, do not install the shell extensions.

7. mb4web

mb4web Member

Unfortunately, this is all that's found in the install directory:

29/03/2008 03:42 PM 108,032 avi.dll
    16/08/2006 02:53 PM 319,488 coreaac.ax
    16/09/2008 07:19 PM 212,480 coreavcdecoder.ax
    29/03/2008 03:42 PM 245,248 dxr.dll
    29/03/2008 03:41 PM 23,552 mkunicode.dll
    29/03/2008 03:42 PM 148,992 mkx.dll
    29/03/2008 03:41 PM 79,360 mkzlib.dll
    29/03/2008 03:42 PM 141,312 mp4.dll
    29/03/2008 03:42 PM 120,832 ogm.dll
    05/10/2008 08:59 AM 517,120 splitter.ax
    29/03/2008 03:42 PM 163,840 ts.dl

No uninstall. :-|

8. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I'd never heard of Haali before but (on my systems anyway) it's installed as part of the excellent K-Lite Mega Codec Pack - http://www.free-codecs.com/download/k_lite_Mega_Codec_Pack.htm - i've been using K-Lite for longer than i can remember, and can confirm that McAfee Viruscan, AVG Free, SpyBot Search & Destroy nor Adaware flag Haali as a trojan or similar. This is/has been my experience on many machines over many years...

As to it being classed as a trojan, as i say, that's ridiculous. I only know of Haali by name (ie i know nothing of it in itself) due to seeing it listed in the K-Lite configuration but it's clearly not a trojan of any kind. What's obviously happened is that the original poster has a virus scanner and/or spyware scanners that mistakenly flags Haali as a trojan.
    A bit of info from Haali's official site - http://haali.cs.msu.ru/mkv/ -

Upon searching i find the same comments from the original poster here - http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/codecs_and_filters/haalimediasplitter.cfm.

I'm not out to 'push' Haali, nor have i ever experienced a single problem with K-Lite/it's bundled bits and pieces over many years. I can't vouch for anyone who's obtained Haali outside of the K-Lite codec pack, plus it's always possible that some sneaky virus writing degenerate out there has created something disguising itself as Haali.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008