1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't uninstall IE8 Beta

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by maxgizmo, Nov 10, 2008.

1. maxgizmo

maxgizmo Member

Hello.

Please i really need someones help on this. It's about Internet Explorer 8 Beta.

I've tried unistalling IE8 Beta but it doesn't completely uninstall.

I've tried going to Add and Remove Programs, clicking unistall IE8, it starts the process but then i get a message :-
    The File 'ieencode.dll.000' on windows NT Service Pack Unistall Directory is needed
    I typed the path where the file is located and clicked ok, but it doesn't locate it. I've tried browsing C:\Windows\ie8(2), but still,it doesn't come up. Then i had to cancel the uninstallation. When i tried opening Internet Explorer after that, it doesn't work anymore.

Then I tried System Restore. It(Internet Explorer)worked after that, but it had a lot of the tabs missing on the page like Files, Tools, Favourite etc. I can't even get to Internet Options in the drop down tab. At the top of the page, it only has the IE icon without the details.

Would really appreciate anyboby's help on this.

Thank you.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  2. maxgizmo

maxgizmo Member

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  3. onya

onya Guest

If I've got the story correct, IE8 isn't a program per se, it's an update. Export all your bookmarks/favourites to desktop, then uninstall IE totally. Run a cleaner like ccleaner (in registry mode) then restart your system and download IE again. Firefox not an option? just asking. :) Import your favs and away you go.

Help at all?

4. cdavfrew

cdavfrew Regular member

In IE without the Files, Tools, Favorites, you have to right click on the space below the address bar, and then click on Menu bar to make sure it's checked.

Best Regards :D

5. maxgizmo

maxgizmo Member

How do you export favourites/bookmarks to your desktop?

I've tried right clicking on the space below the address bar but nothing comes up. Most of the toolbars are missing.

I think when i tried to uninstall IE8 the first time, there was a message (It went something like this):

Some of these programs(there was a list) were installed after IE8. If you uninstall it now, these programs and IE8 might now work properly.

I then went ahead and uninstalled. I think that's where the problem is. The uninstallation must have deleted some files related to IE8.

I've also tried downloading windows updates but it asks me that i have to install ActiveX controls. IE8 won't and can't download anything right now.

I hope i answered your question.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  6. kaspian27

kaspian27 Member

Hey guys,

I did da following

- went into C:\WINDOWS\ie8updates\KB961813-IE8\spuninst
    - performed da uninstallation
    - restarted da PC
    - installed IE8

worked for me:)