1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New AMD Building Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by theonejrs, Nov 18, 2008.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I know that a lot of AMD owners feel left out because no one wants to discuss building an AMD machine. I've created this thread as a place for people to go where we can discuss building options.

Attention, all Socket AM2 owners! Did you know that you can improve the performance of your Socket AM2 CPU abot 15% just by replacing the Motherboard with a 780G chipset MB? I did just that late last week with a 64x2 4400+, and it almost equaled the performance of a 64x2 4800+ just by switching the old tech AM2 motherboard for a Biostar A780G M2+SE. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138134

This $65 motherboard gives you quite a lot for your money. It has HD 3200 on-board graphics that leave any other OBG in the dust. In fact, this MB can render full HD video with any CPU from a 3500+ single Core Sempron on up. Magnificent, Lush colors with simply amazing color depth, Clarity and Detail never seen with on-board-graphics before. The MB also supports Hybrid CrossFire. What this does is if you add a 16x PCI-e video card and turn on Hybrid CrossFire in the setup and it uses both the on-board and the 16x video card, so nothing is wasted or thrown away. Buy something like an inexpensive HD 4850 video card and Game away! Lots of adjustments for overclocking as well. Want to overclock, but know that the OBG can't take it? No worries as this little MB has settings for the OBG to overclock the video. It also is a good MB to use as a Media Center PC. Quite a bit of bang for very little bucks. I know I want one for my 64x2 4800+.

Here's some information on the 780G chipset from Anandtech.
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3258

Theonejrs

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Good stuff. Stickied, enjoy :)

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Thanks creaky!

Russ

4. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

I Guess we are all gonna be here! I'm gonna be the 1st one to mention Intell....HAHAhahaaaaaa
    Good talkin to ya Russ

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

WHOOO

GO CORE i7!!!!!

Any one with any Phenom systems around here?

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Hey Boozer, they'll be along once the word gets around. Thanks for dropping by!

Russ

7. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

Nice going Russ

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Thanks Chris. Hope the word gets around!

Russ

9. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

I was thinking of purchasing an AMD board and CPU ever since my 939 rig died a few months ago. I have everything else, I'd end up with a spare 7600GT since I'd use OBG probably. Are there any links to what I should be looking for in CPU's? I need a second computer in my workshop to make it easier for my server admin and networking training so were talking price vs. performance and not the best out there (I still have my OC'd Intel Q9450 build so thats my workhorse).
    An AMD build was one of my first that wasnt a pre-packaged barebones deal, I actually took the time part by part and when I did it was better than any Intels out there so I'll always have a soft spot for the brand.

10. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

No problem. I'll try to keep up. I still remember when AMD used to be the king of performance ;)

Hopefully gets back the crown.

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Deadrum33,
    Welcome to the New AMD Building Thread! I think the most bang for your buck you can get for a 64x2 at the moment is the 5200+ 2.6GHz Brisbane! $64 w/free shipping from Newegg. Couple that with the Biostar I mentioned and it should be one hell of a machine. Throw in a Freezer 64 and you are looking at $155. If you have a decent cooler already, The MB and CPU will run tou $129 + T&S.

CPU 5200+ brisbane 2.6GHz $64
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103210

Biostar 780G MB $65
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813158005

One thing I did discover about this MB is that Biostar was a bit conservative with their voltages, and it would randomly shut down abnd re-boot. Some times it would run for 5-6 hours and do it, and sometimes it would do it 3 times in a row. 1 click up on the CPU and HT voltage solved that. Solid as a rock after that, and the graphics are stunning. I also have a 7600GT overclocked to 1650/850 and the graphics are superior with the HD 3200 OBG. I think you will be very surprised at the overall performance this combo should deliver.

Best Regards,
    Russ

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I only built one socket 939, and that was a 4000+ single Core on a Biostar 939 6100 M9 MB for about $100. At the fire sale price of $39 for the CPU I couldn't turn it down. Pretty good machine for what it was too! Even made money on it a year later when I spruced it up and sold it!

Russ

13. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

Russ, thanks for this thread!! I think I'm going to try another AMD build with that MB...you've got me all excited again about AMD.

Many thanks.

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Thanks my Friend,
    Welcome to the New AMD build Thread! I got pretty excited myself when I compared the performance of the 64x2 4400+ on the AM2+ 780G and the 64x2 4800+ with the old tech AM2 (less than a year old) and came between 400-500 MIPS of it's performance both at stock speeds. What got my attention most was that I had just finished fixing a HP Slimline 4400+. I was so stunned at the difference I looked in the system to see if Newegg accidentally sent me a faster processor. The difference was that great. I managed 16687 MIPS with a stock 4400+ 2.3 GHz on it, and that's definitely 4800+ territory, stock! All I know is that I was impressed enough to want one for OxiMoron, and maybe a future AMD Build for me if I can scrape up the money!

Best Regards,
    Russ

15. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well i know absolutely nothing about the AMD world. but as before i can learn alot from all this wisdom in here. plus i dont wanna be a loner....lol

let the knowledge flow....

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Welcome to The New AMD Building Thread! Thanks Rob. I'm here to learn too. I'm way behind on AMD at the moment as there's not many places you can get any information about AMD these days. I got the idea for this thread from another forum. Drop in anytime.

Best Regards,
    Russ

17. navskin

navskin Regular member

think of upgarding to the AMD phenom but what would the impact be if i was to put cpu in a non am2+ board. my Asus m2n sli deluxe support the cpu but only has am2 chip so what that slow it down alot or would it be mineor.

Finaly a thread just for amd. i am home lol.

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Welcome to The New AMD building Thread. Good to see you, navskin! As the thread grows, all of us will learn more. Judging by the sales of AMD MBs and AMD CPUs, there's a lot of information out there I'd sure like to see come here.

Best Regards,
    Russ

19. navskin

navskin Regular member

thanks theonejrs

always welcoming new knowlage of AMD and ATI because they are the same company.

EDIT: Spelling & Grammer

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Here's another bright spot for Future AMD Builds.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128090
    Anandtech reports this MB as the most feature laden of the 780G motherboards. Given that it's only about $13 more than the BioStar, I may well consider it for my future build as I have been very happy with gigabyte MBs It also says a lot that AMD provided this MB in the Press Kits given out to places like Anandtech.

I would also recommend a fan on the heatsink for the NB, as it gets pretty hot. Modding the one on the Biostar by removing the heatsink and cleaning all the sticky goop off the tiny 55nm chip, and the center portion of the heatsink and using Arctic Silver MX-2. Do not remove the outer square foam looking stuff as it helps protect the chip. I fully recommend this Antec 40mm fan, as it's very quiet, only turns at 2200 rpm and moves 6.5 cfm of air. Very quiet and works well on my Enzotec NB cooler on my P35.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835129036

theonejrs

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008