1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NDSL R4 SDHC 2GB/4GB Loading Screen (**NO Email posting or banned**)

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by shamster, Dec 2, 2008.

1. iandpain

iandpain Member

Hi Puggwash
    many thanks for all the effort nd hard work that you have put into resolving the R4 card issue and the continuous loading screen problem. I too have a R4 sdhc card and am using a 2gb kingston sdcard. I have tried to follow your link but i cannot get the download to complete, this site is very slow and inconsistent. I was wondering if it would be abl to send the files to me that i require. I have a folder called games on the card but only had the dsmenu .dat file and the ds config file. I have formatted the 2gb chip both in fat 32 and fat but still having issues. I appreciate any help you can offer.

Ian

2. weponx

weponx Member

hey pugg,

as per usual tried all of the above and still no go.

here is what i know about the gear i've bought.

- DS Lite
    - R4 (has the "new" with orange background on cover) on back the first line says it supports SDHC)
    - Kingston 4gb micro schc class 4

dont know what the problem is, i've done all that you've listed above
    still get the loading screen?!?

would love your help

3. weponx

weponx Member

forgot to mention:

r4 didn't come with cd, so i've had to download drivers.

and here is my direct contact:

MSN: *email removed*

cheers

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  4. Jen_LT

Jen_LT Member

ooo finally got mine working last night :)
    Here's what i did:

I downloaded the Panasonic SD Memory Card Formatting Software.
    [link]

Install that and format your card.
    Another thing to check is that the file system is set to FAT32.
    If it's not then you can set it to that in the windows format one.

Then i downloaded the right kennel for me on this website [link]
    My R4 is the R4 SDHC, so i had to download the kennel for that exact one.
    Here's what I needed to choose:
    [​IMG]
    Of course, you all may have different R4s to me, so look for the letters it says on the box ;)

I then opened that, and extracted it to my removable disk.
    What i didn't do was make a 'Games' folder like everyone says to. so if you have been doing that, leave it out this time.
    I then chucked my games and saved files in to the removable disk, and hoped for the best that the loading screen wouldn't freeze.

It was either that method, or hoping every time i turned it on that made it work.

If it didn't work then try again with the Games folder in :)

Best of luck you lot!
    Jen.

5. muffryder

muffryder Member

I dont mean to steal the spot light from Pugg, he has even helped me and I appreciate him for it. But to take it that one bit further, my friend already had a copy of the latest 1.25 and uploaded it to rapid shit for me. If anyone wants it, here it is.

http://rapidshare.com/files/173268261/English-1.25.rar.html

6. shamster

shamster Member

Anyone?

7. Skined

Skined Member

Puggwash and others...

I've read the full threat but I'm still having the same problem.

Here's my situation:

* I have a white DS Lite.
    * I have two R4 SDHC cards (both bought via Divineo)
    * I have two SanDisk 4GB SDHC cards

These are for X-mas presents, so I'd really like to get them to work as quickly as possible.

I've downloaded what is supposed to be the right firmware for the R4 SDHC card from multiple locations including:

* www.r4sdhc.com/download-en.htm (the actual vendor site)
    * http://www.linfoxdomain.com/nintendo/ds/
    * and various rapidshare and sendfile links shared in this thread

I've also tried various versions of the R4 SDHC software. I tried, v1.22, which Pugg recommended; 1.25, the latest version. And many other versions in between.

I've also formatted my micro SDHC card multiple times, including formatting it using the Panasonic SD format tool.

I've tried loading the card with just the firmware... with and withoutincluding a "Games" folder, and with and without actually having games (.nds files) in the games folder. I've, of course, done this using both of my two R4 SDHC cards, and both of my two 4GB micro SDHC cards, just to make sure nothing was bad.

In ALL cases, my DS just sits on the loading screen forever....

I am fairly technical, and I can't figure out anything else to try. If anyone can help me to get these R4 SDHC cards working by X-mas, I'd really appreciate it!! :)

Skined

8. Ownage248

Ownage248 Member

how many games should be able to downl;oad on r4sdhc with 2gb plus does 4gb 8gb and 32gb work?

9. TheDonDon

TheDonDon Member

Hi Skined,

I don't want to step on Puggs toes coz he has been a star, but just to help him out, post your e-mail to me in private and I'll send to you what he sent me.

I was in exactly the same sh*t boat are your are but I was rescued.

Don

10. TheDonDon

TheDonDon Member

Hi Skined,

Just sent you the two rar's that Pugg sent me.
    I went straight for the 1.24 version which worked instantaneously.

Don

11. Skined

Skined Member

Ownage,

It depends of the game size. NDS games vary from 32 Megabytes (don't confuse with megabits) to 512 Megabytes. You could only fit about three 512 Megabyte games onto a 2GB card (can't do four since you tend to use some space for other files, like firmware). On the other hand, you could fit like 60 32MB games... on average, games seem to be around 128MB... so you do the math....

4GB, 8GB, and 32 GB SDHC cards are supposed to work on the r4 SDHC... but right now I can't even get mine past the loading screen (with a 4GB card), so I can't confirm for sure.

12. Skined

Skined Member

Thanks Donn, I'll let ya know how it goes when I get em :)

13. TheDonDon

TheDonDon Member

Ownage,
    Like Skined says depends on the size of the games.
    I guess that's dictated by the complexity and quality of the graphics.
    My kids 7 and 4 have non-high capacity R4s with 2Gb cards.
    For the games they like they each have about 40 games and there is still a bit of space free.

Don

14. Skined

Skined Member

PS Donn, tried the 1.19 files... still no go (though I'm about to try again with a "Games" folder just in case)...

Hoping the 1.24 will do the trick

As we all know, there are many different versions of the cloned R4 carts....

However, I'm starting to suspect that there are many different versions of the "R4 SDHC" cart... if you go to the various R4 SDHC websites.. they all have different version of firmware as the latest version...

Pugg has been talking about the three files:

_DS_Menu.dat
    _DS_Menu.ini
    _DS_MSHL.nds

While many of the R4 SDHC firmwares have these files, I've also noticed some have:

_AX_Menu.dat and no _DS_menu.ini

so that is what leads me to suspect that we all could have different clone versions of the R4 SDHC card, that actually need different firmwares... not every "R4 SDHC" card is the same...

anyway... just a guess...

15. Skined

Skined Member

Good news bad, bad news for me...

I finally got a firmware that made one of my two R4 SDHC's work!!! :)

Problem is.. it's only one... I have the exact same load on my two 4GB micro SDHC cards... in one R4 SDHC both microSD's work.. in the other, neither does...

Guess that pretty much means that one R4 is defective... or is somehow not making full contact with either the r4 and the micro sd card, or the R4 and the DS contacts..

This does tell me one thing about the R4 clones.. the build quality is not great... for anyone else that has tried many different firmwares, and knows they are doing everything right.. if you do get the "loading" only screen... do know it could just be defective... since I have two, and one works.. I know that's the case for me :(

16. Skined

Skined Member

Finally, COMPLETE success...

This may help someone that is really having endless problems and thinks they have the right firmware.

As you can see above, I had two identical R4 SDHC carts and two identical microSD cards with the exact same load, but only ONE would boot.

I just got the second working! To do so I had to wedge a small piece of cardboard between the microSD card and the R4 SDHC card... Obviously, there is a contact issue between the microSD and R4 cart... So again, a warning to R4 SDHC users, the build quality is not perfect.. While one might work flawlessly, the other could have contact issues... so you may have to fiddle around with the microSD card to make sure it's seated correctly. And, in some cases, you might even have to wedge material in between the microSD and R4 to cause some pressure so that all the copper contacts make full connections. This helped for me for the one card that wasn't booting.

Hope this helps someone :)

Thanks to Pugg for his earlier posts and to TheDon for all his help.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  17. weponx

weponx Member

still no go for me...

tried what's listed above, even the cardboard in the back trick... still nothing different...

how frustrating this is

18. brownale

brownale Member

Ok thanks to all that have posted but I'm still at a loose end. I have a ds with a kingston 2gb sd and an r4 sdhc from here Klickstore I have downloaded all of the kernels from 1.19 - 1.25 from r4sdhc.com (store says to use 1.20 for 2gb sd and 1.22 for 4gb upwards) and none seem to work. My friend has an 8gb sd card with kernel 1.22 on and that works in my r4 (Dont know which version or from where) so I bought an 8gb sd card and copied the files from his across and still it wont work. So the sd cards work and the r4 works but they wont seem to work together. I have also tried the piece of card trick to no avail. Both cards have been formatted using panasonic formatter and windows in both fat 16 and 32 and I have tried with and without the games folder. I know it seems like the same questions getting asked over and over but I'm stuck. I've followed everything from the instructions with the r4 down to everything on here but still the dreaded loading screen. Any help would be appreciated

19. sario

sario Member

Hi there we have this R4 SDHC card too and dumbass hubby ordered 2gb micro sd cards with it. Will it only work with a micro SDHC card? Please help an old lady in distress. I got that firmware link from you tube but it says service unavailable though that could be my rubbish broadband provider.
    Thanks Sarah

20. shamster

shamster Member

Thanks for all your help guys...

I simply formatted my 4GB Card with the Panasonic Software and Downloaded the Latest firmware for SDHC(1.25) and extracted it straight to my card.

Surprised me a whole lot...

Thanks again