1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NDSL R4 SDHC 2GB/4GB Loading Screen (**NO Email posting or banned**)

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by shamster, Dec 2, 2008.

1. sario

sario Member

Did you get it from www.r4sdhc.com? It keeps giving me service unavailable GRRRRRR

2. weponx

weponx Member

if you keep getting service unavailable keep refreshing the page...

you may have to do it over and over and over again, but eventually you'll get a save screen come up....

just be prepared, that like me, it still may not work

3. sario

sario Member

Hells bells I have 20 of them!

4. TheDonDon

TheDonDon Member

Hi Sario,

You have 20 of them?

Anyway I've sent you the two files Pugg sent me.
    1.24 was good for me!

Don

5. shamster

shamster Member

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  6. sario

sario Member

I HAVE FIXED IT! Had to use version 1.51. No idea why but was directed to it from the site I bought them off. www.r4ultra.com So the kids wont all be wailing at Christmas!
    So for R4SDHC go to http://www.r4ultra.com and download the kernel for English v1.51 its the only one thats worked for me and God knows I have had them all on!
    Thanks to everyone for your help and emails this is the best site for stupid people like me you are so tolerant!
    Thanks, Sarah x

7. TheDonDon

TheDonDon Member

Sarah,

Yippeeee, I too know the feeling of relief.

Have a nice Chrstmas!

DodDon

8. weponx

weponx Member

sario... YOU LEGEND!

thanks to everyone else for their help, but after trying EVERYTHING...

going to the r4ultra website, and downloading the 1.51 kernal...

IT WORKED... got worried initially, cos the loading screen came up, but then it went away again... and it's yippee from here on out...

cheers guys

9. brownale

brownale Member

Hmm tried the 1.51 kernel as well but still wont work :( is there any way to tell which r4 you actually have ? there seems to be quite a few.
    The hammer is slowly working its way from the tool box and I fear this r4 won't joining in the festivities this year.

Cheers

Dave

10. Skined

Skined Member

My latest issue:

I was the guy that got two R4 SDHC's working with 2 4G SDHC cards, although one of them I have to wedge in with some cardboard to get contact....

Anyway, I just got an 8GB SDHC card in the mail today... To test, I formatted with the panasonic SD formatter, and just did a direct copy from one of my working 4GB SDHC cards... the 8GB one repeatedly gets stuck at loading...

This is why I'm soo frustrated.. there seems to be no rhyme or reason to the issues... The 4GB card still works, but the 8GB card, with a direct copy, doesn't... makes no sense.... :(

11. jennTC

jennTC Member

Help please,
    I bought a R4 last year and it worked fine, then we lost it, so I have bought another two for kids at Christmas.
    Did everything that has been mentioned on here to format them and load all the correct firm ware.
    One of them doesn't work aaaaarrrrgggggggghhhhhhhh ( I really am ready to chuck the thing out and disappoint on of the kids!)
    I think it must be the actual R4 as the card works fine in the other card ( which does work)
    I hope this makes sense, it does in my head.
    I have also tried the small bit of cardboard in the back and no joy with that either!

Jenn

12. brownale

brownale Member

Has anyone actually had an 8gb sd card working yet ? my friends came pre installed and that works on my r4 but copying the files across or installing the newest firmware wont work. Is there something that needs to be done to the sd card ? I have 4 sd cards now (2x2gb and 2x8gb) and I know the r4 works surely I'm not that unlucky to have 4 dodgy sd cards

13. kittymat

kittymat Regular member

Format the sd using panasonics SD Formatter, you should never use windows to format SD cards, then put on the software, Kingston cards are the worst, I have had a lot of problems using windows switch to panasonics and they work flawlesly

Added bonus they spot a hacked SD card as soon as they are inserted - always shows the true size not fooled like windows.

14. brownale

brownale Member

Thx Kittymat

I have 2 Sandisk 8gb cards and they have been formatted with the panasonic formatter. What setting should they be formatted to ? I just used the default settings:
    size 7.39gb - quick format - adjustment off
    I did try the full format once but it takes a while especially if you keep doing it after every kernel you try. Is the size shown in the panasonic formatter correct at default ? TIA for any help

15. weponx

weponx Member

if kingston are the worst then what are the best?

i bought a kingston knowing how good their RAM was and was hoping their SD cards continued their quality of product...

16. kittymat

kittymat Regular member

Sorry Kingston are very reliable, however they seem to suffer the most from being incorrectly formatted. Sandisk don't seem to suffer half as much from this problem. Try the formatter, if it works then just remember to always use it and not to use windows

17. Skined

Skined Member

Ok.. more travails....

After much screwing around, I finally got my 8GB SDHC card at least booting in my R4 SDHC.... However, now I can't get games to work if I load more that 4GB worth of games...

Here's the situation, I got a firmware that got past the loading screen using the 8GB SDHC. I started just loading a few roms... they all worked fine... Then I went crazy and filled the 8GB card with roms (leaving about 300MB free for saves and such)... The problem was, HALF the games showed up as "Untitled" instead of their name... and these ones would not run.

I was certain the ROMs were note corrupts. In fact, to confirm this I removed all the Games from the 8GB SDHC, and just loaded one ROM, specifically one that said "untitled" and did not boot earlier. When I loaded that rom alone, it worked find... My current theory is that my particular flavor of R4 SDHC (we all know there are different versions now) DOESN'T really support higher than 4GB SDHC cards; even though it was advertised to. If I load under 4GB of ROMS, the work fine, but as soon as I pass that level, all my ROMS become "Untitled" and don't boot, despite them being perfectly good...

Anyway, not sure if anyone is having this problem too.. but wanted to share in case anyone else runs into it.

18. kittymat

kittymat Regular member

Don't know if this is relevant but the M3 card cannot cope with more than 128 roms in a folder, put them in a seperate one and it works fine.

Try putting the roms into several folders of 100 games or so, it could be an addressing issue, the card can only address 128 or 256 roms per folder

19. brownale

brownale Member

Which firmware did you use on the 8gb card Skined ? and did you need to do anything else to get it working

20. Skined

Skined Member

PS.. I'm using Sandisk 8GB SDHC micro...