1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mozilla Firefox will not load when I click to open it!

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by n8dawg412, Dec 5, 2008.

1. n8dawg412

n8dawg412 Member

So I have been having a problem for the past two days regarding my computer and not being able to access certain programs. The computer that this is all occuring on is my work computer, and I have a program called CCleaner by Piriform installed. I thought I had encountered a virus when I click on a link to the internet one day (it most likely was not anything), but I took the precautions to scan for viruses and spyware (did not find anything), and then I used CCleaner to clean temp files. While I was using the program I also saw it had a section where you could scan your registry for problems, so I ran that and fix all problems. I restarted my computer and upon restart when I tried to open applications like mozilla and a program I use at work that has a database called itemtracker... mozilla won't open at all, and itemtracker software does not work. So I did a system restore to a couple days ago and upon restart.... still can't open mozilla.

I am using XP SP3, and have even tried uninstalling mozilla and reinstalling and it does not work.

I feel the problem lies within my registry and wanted to know if there is a solution. PLZ HELP!!!

2. daacekin

daacekin Regular member

do system restore to before it was corrupted.

3. varnull

varnull Guest

Theres probably a segfault issue..

FF has a safe mode, try right clicking and selecting firefox-safemode or launching it from all programs.. Report what happens ;)

Usually this kind of thing is a sign of a stick or ram going faulty or some update or ccleaner use knocking out a config file.. That's what I found anyway.

4. n8dawg412

n8dawg412 Member

So now, my computer I believe has a virus or trojan because it pops up with the fake winweb software and then goes to the blue screen of death. When I boot in safe mode I cannot even click on anythign to run virus scan or malware scan.... urgghhh!

5. varnull

varnull Guest

6. n8dawg412

n8dawg412 Member

I was able to get Mozilla to work by running it in safe mode then changing the proxy settings to allow to automatically detect proxy settings becauses before it was on manual... and it worked.. But now after having this trojan or virus infect my computer by using winweb, my computer will only stay on for about 2 minutes and then goes to the blue screen of death.

7. daacekin

daacekin Regular member

LISTEN TO ME!!! DO SYSTEM RESTORE BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!!!

power on the computer and keep pressing F8 until a secret menu comes up and choose safe mode, from there do system restore. if successful you'll have no problems.

YOU MUST DO THIS IF YOU WANT TO REPAIR IT.

if you don't you'll have to format the hard drive and install windows fresh.

8. n8dawg412

n8dawg412 Member

That is the thing... I have restarted in safe mode and when I try and run in safe mode the system restore it won't complete the setup for the restore. Not sure what will work because I can choose the date that I want to restore to, but after that I cannot go any further.

9. varnull

varnull Guest

These things usually infect/corrupt/delete all the restore points.. windows being the load of rubbish we know it to be..

Hunt out cadfrew and follow his advice.. this malware has been dealt with many times. The BSOD is likely another symptom of a hdd or ram going bad, but it might be malware also.

Whenever you run into a problem like this that your Anti Virus cannot seem to heal or quarantine then do this......

1) Download a program called, "HijackThis" here:

http://www.download.com/Trend-Micro-HijackThis/3000-8022_4-10227353.html

Run the HijackThis program (in safe mode is better) and save a log of the scan where you can find it such as your desktop.

2) Visit this forum http://forums.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/166 and post your HijackThis log on the malware section for the people who know to help you fix it.

@daacekin.. instead of shouting DO A RESTORE (which btw IS a waste of time with winweb) why don't you have a google like I just have and come up with something which doesn't just make you sound like a complete prat?

Clever people don't use windows XD

10. daacekin

daacekin Regular member

excuse me?!? first of all, i didn't google because i have EXPERIENCE with this kind of stuff. it doesn't matter whether or not you have anti-virus or not, sooner or later your gonna get virused. and i have resolved 99% of all viruses on systems with and without anti-virus, so dont call me a prat you idiot.

2nd) i wasn't shouting i was getting noticed, if he had listened to the 1st time (not saying he didn't), he could have gotten away with the problem sooner, some viruses prevent going into the past of system restore. this apparently is one of them.

so varnull, you keep googling and let an expert help.

at this point, there's no point delaying by downloading more software, especially if you have sensitive data. if you want to backup some files up and cant do it, install windows again WITHOUT formatting the had drive, then backup.

then i recommend you format your hard drive and install windows fresh.

don't listen to these people with no experience, they're wasting your time, people like varnull google it and end up with results posted by experts like me who have experience.

11. n8dawg412

n8dawg412 Member

Well I hope this issue can be resolved and not have both of you guys fight... I just need help and I appreciate help from all of you so far.

In regards to downloading and installing HijackThis... I can't install it because even running in safe mode the computer I think is so messed up it won't let me install or run hardly any programs.

So, in regards to reinstalling windows: I think that will be the best option, but you are saying to reinstall windows without reformatting. I would prefer this because I have a software program that I have a lot of data that I was not able to backup (or in truth the backup never worked correctly) and would like to save that data... because it is work related.

My question is: I have never done this before and would like to know how to do this step-by-step so that I do not screw this up any more than I already have

12. daacekin

daacekin Regular member

1stly, i would like to say, if you did system restore as soon as firefox refused to work, you might have gotten rid of the porblem, if you didn't already do so.

basically, at this point, just put windows disc in, restart pc and install it, if at any point it says format, say no and just continue. this will not remove the virus. it will just give you a second windows without an infection. you will still have the infected operating system also. you will now need to go to the clean os and not the damaged one incase of further damage.

in the new os, backup the files you need either via network, usb, cd or any other means.there is a threat of corrupting this os too but only if you activate the virus file or maybe even an infected file but it is very unlikely so relax.

once backed up, you want to format the entire hard drive,

1) make a startup disk, put in a floppy in the floppy drive, from my computer click format with the option of create a boot up disk enabled.

alternatively, if the xp cd lets you use the dos mode of your pc, (by that i mean that you can write stuff before an os starts up) then by all means do this instead of (1).

if you made the boot up disk, ten just restart pc with floppy in and continue below.

2) type "format/q c:" where c is the hard drive. hopefully, i wrote it right, if it's not you'll just get an error message.

3) proceed with format.

4) install the windows cd again.

5) install them drivers again (if you used xp disc). oh no. :)

this is only windows cd way.

if you have a bakup disc then ignore ALL the steps after the bakup of your data and just use the bakup disc.

but in order to bakup your data, you NEED an os disc.

after all this is complete, you may wanna virus scan the data you backed up.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008