1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BD RB Beta released! - now at version 0.37.08 (April 23rd, 2011)

Discussion in 'DVD / BD-Rebuilder forum' started by Sophocles, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

jdobbs just released BD RB in beta for those of you wishing to begin backing up in Blu-Ray format. Haven't had a chance to play with it yet, but you know it's got to be a good time. I received the beta version by email only hours ago, and fortunately I also received some new BD discs for Christmas to practice with.:D Please note that BD RB beta is publicly available for download by anyone interested in giving it a try. To download click on the link under this sentence.

CURRENT VERSION 0.37.08 (April 23rd, 2011)

http://www.jdobbs.net/freeware/BD-RBV03708.zip

Below is some setup info posted by jdobbs and re-posted here with his permission.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

It's certainly not my cup of tea as i don't relish the thought of encoding so many gigabytes of data but i will be keeping my eye on the progress, cheers for letting us know.

3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

So far it seems to be working quite well. The main point of interest is jdobbs attempt at not just getting the movie only but also keeping the menus as well. My first attempt turned out quite erll and 6402 has done three so far and all have worked out.

An encode does take a long time even with a rather powerful system. I can complete most reencodes in under 5 hours but that's with a Q9650 overclocked to 4 GHz. Most people are going to see 7 or more hours which means this something best done while one is sleeping.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  4. Vulcan94

Vulcan94 Member

Can you describe the picture quality you're getting with your encodes for us?

Vulcan94

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I've been doing this for quite some time before BD RB was released and the picture quality is excellent. Think of it like this. X/H.264 is about 3 to 5 times more efficient than standard mpeg 2 format so in theory if it only used as much space and bitrate as a standard DVD then it should be considerably better. The bitrate even in the recorded space of a DVD/5 is still more than twice that of a standard DVD. I've been successful in backing up most 2 hour movies to a single layer DVD with 1080P, no artifacts, and no visual grain or mosquito effect.

6. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

This looks like good news.
    Can you use it to just remove all content but main movie, and then have the uncompressed and unencoded main movie stored as iso or files in a hdd folder.
    I'm interested in doing this, so I can just stream movies from a server and keep the file size down, rather than having to take up space for extras and such or handle the original media all the time.

Also any idea of timescale to first release?

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

It does movie only which has always been my preference. Once the reencode is finished I use Imgburn to create an ISO before burning since Imgburn sets it up to the proper UDF file system for BD. Once the file is dropped onto my hard drive I mount it using Daemon tools and then play it before deciding to burn it.

[​IMG]

8. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Thanks for the info.

I'll certainly be getting the software when its released!

9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

No time like the present click the link below and download. Be certain to read the read-me file before setup.

http://www.jdobbs.net/freeware/BD-RBV01711.zip

10. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Thanks for the link, downloaded and ready to start loading and playing, just making sure I do things in the right order, as per readme.

Looks like another good excuse to upgrade my CPU soon.

My last obsession with having high end PC kit originally came from getting into rebuilding DVDs, so now I'll see how painful it is with BD, should take me back a few years to when the application was started and I had to walk away from the PC.

Do you have the link to where to leave bug reports, I saw a forum thread mentioned in the readme but didn't see a link to it.

Thanks

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I moved to a Q9650 and then overclocked it to 4.05 GHz and that seems to help but BD re-encoding is going to be an overnight venture.:D

The link below leads to the bugs thread.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=143716

12. Vulcan94

Vulcan94 Member

Well, since I use DVD-RB's batch mode, letting it run overnight is a normal thing for me. Looks like I'll have to upgrade to a Blu-ray burner. Any recommendations?

Vulcan94

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

You don't need a Blu-Ray burner just a reader. Here is one that I've been using with great success for a few months now. It even came with two copies of PowerDVD 7.0 BD edition.

Once you've ripped your movie to your hard drive and re-encoded it to a standard DVD single layer then you convert it to an ISO with Imgburn and burn it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106270

Of course I will confess to owning one of these.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136137

14. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Happy New Year to all.

Just finished playing with the software.

Backed up KungFu Panda from BD, to HDD with AnyDVD, then reworked 'main movie only' to DVD9 with BD Rebuilder, this only took about 7 hours, which I was surprised with, CPU usage was at 100% for a fair amount of time, but could still run other apps whilst processing.

Turned Output to ISO using ImgBurn and burnt to Verbatim DVD+R DL at 2.4X speed, with layer break set to auto, and book type DVD DL ROM

Haven't tried it on the TV yet, but on my 30" PC screen the results are stunning, I can't see any difference between the original and the backup using powerdvd 7.3 and GGC H20L BD drive.

Thanks for the heads-up and links, all seems to okay so far.

15. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

that may push me to go ahead and buy anydvd hd before the free lifetime updates are gone. the blank media and the drives will come down in price within a couple years

16. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Offer extended to Sunday, January 11 2009, unless it gets extended again, that will be it for lifetime upgrades.

I tend to always push people into buying AnyDVD when I do a new build for them, as it soon pays for itself, DVD rebuilder tends to be harder to get people into, as even though its simple to use for most people who've got some experience with backing up films, for new people it seems complicated (not sure why)

Blank Verbatim Double layer discs are only about a £1 each for printable, which is good for a high quality backup media. I was surprised how good the quality was, as the film was at 30% of it's original size. I don't ever think blank BD media will cheap, as its just more expensive to produce.

I've also just built a media PC and want to store selected HD movies on there, 1TB drives though are already seeming small, but now I can removed all the unwanted crap, it makes it far more feasible to do.

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

AnyDVD is the only true hurdle left to the MPAA. BD read only drives are already down enough in price to get things going, you don't need a BD burner or BD media. I see no reason to backup a BD movie to BD media if the ones that I'm doing on single and dual layer standard DVD is so close that it looks like the original.

BigDK

Good to hear about your success. I remember when my first DVD burner cost me almost $300 and now I can get a BD burner for under $240 and a reader for a little over $100. I don't think that BD media will ever be affordable but then who cares, no one needs it.

18. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Good points well made.
    I never bought into Dual Layer blank media, thanks to DVD Rebuilder. Somehow i don't think Dual Layer blank media will ever catch on at this rate, never mind BD media.

edit- of course if any BD movies turn out to require Dual Layer media then so be it, but for now i'm happy watching others' progress with BD encoding :)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  19. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

creaky

I've used only two dual layer discs thus far. The size of the final result is determined by the number of total frames in a movie and that can be calculated by looking at the total number of minutes divided into seconds and bits.

20. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

I already have a load of double layer DVDs knocking around, as I backup Xbox360 games already, and certain films.

I will see what the playback is like on a cheaper double layer disc, as I tend to use bulkPaqs for the 360 games, as they work all the time (surprisingly) it may just be the 360 is more forgiving on media, when I backup Wii games, they tend to only work on Verbatim or Tys, and only when burnt at very low speed, otherwise its hit and miss with playback.

I presume that there are no plans to have BD rebuilder working on Linux?

I will run some tests on various versions of Windows and see what the encoding times are like on the same film.