1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chat with AfterDawn.com users! (on IRC)

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by varnull, Jan 8, 2009.

1. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Glad you got in, I'll be around later this weekend. See ya there.

2. varnull

varnull Guest

I'm back now.. had a couple of days quiet because there has been a lot going on in the real world :)

I hope everybody is ready, because the old chan will get killed in the next couple of days. I haven't been able to get the java frontend to work.. it would help if I could see the original code.. but it's working and running as designed. Just needs it's page tidying up a little.

The irc guides may be out of date.. but surely people have the brains to google a setup guide for whatever application it is... I would suggest kvirc http://www.kvirc.net/ (freeware and effective) rather than that clunky outmoded (and usually cracked) mirc thing. Just because everybody uses something doesn't make it any good.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2009
  3. varnull

varnull Guest

The java applet has screwed up.. or the hosting is having a problem.... not sure which as yet.. so people will have to use a proper irc client (see my link earlier.. it's too easy and freeware) or use chatzilla XD

old channel now closed...

4. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

5. varnull

varnull Guest

No it isn't ...

anyway.. chat fully up and running now .. CoZZ showed up the other day but I didn't get chance to have a proper word with him.. If anybody catches him I need to have a word about something.. soooo.. if one of the friendly mods would care to keep an eye on the channel and pass a message that I need to speak to the buddies guys about changing the applet links it would be mucho appreciated.

6. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@Var

I misspoke. The site comes up but I can't download the program. After searching how to install it, I got lost immediately. So I guess this way is out. And I'm not paying $20 for mIRC.

7. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Mooney....as much as you are probably going to use IRC you could probably just use Chatzilla for the time being. It's a addon for firefox.

8. varnull

varnull Guest

What is the problem with kvirc??.. I just downloaded and installed it on a repair xp lappy in minutes here... no problems. no fuss.. i use it all the time on xp when I'm away from home, I have built a portable version on a flash drive.

Just download the installer xxx.exe and double click like any other piece of windows crap.. then don't even bother configuring it.. I never do..

remember these commands

/server irc.villageirc.net
    /join #afterdawn
    /nick whatever-you-want

easy as that.. quick and dirty irc connectivity.

9. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Thanks scott and paula

10. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

back up after a large gap... (people are there 24/7 until they become owners.. then they vanish) no bloody consoles tho.. unless it's sensible not the "wtf du i du w psp 4 play dl gams?" that gets klined instantly.. hahahahaha.. we can help with the more technical aspects tho like patching wii isos and stuff like that.. even tho we don't own one or anything.. a procedure is a process that can be understood.

the network is being strange.. connection problems can be solved (timeout.. only happens to windoze clients) by naming the server.. seems loopy is up. /server loopy.villageirc etc....

11. Ripper

Ripper Active member

IRC is on my desktop which has some dodgy RAM in it, so combined with finding a house for uni and general preparations, I don't have a lot of time at the moment - sorry P. I will pop by soon though, should probably get a client installed on the laptop!

12. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

stick kvirc on a stick.. simples ;)

13. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

hey paula and ripper

14. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

hey hey .. well it's back up in the usual place.. and also has a new addon..

http://www.facebook.com/pages/edit/...ages/afterdawn-community-chat/175066925857151

note to ~cxp@27ea28c2.3a1d2920.res.rr.com

you have been noted .. your ip has been logged.. further attempts to hack the channel will be k-lined and you will be blocked from the entire village irc network and reported to your isp ..

wasting your time anyway.. I've been at this irc lark for years and years.. it's locked down solid.

Only reason your IP isn't listed is because I'm nice.. your host mask doesn't hide you from netops ;)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  15. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

16. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

same to you.

17. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

cheers.. it looks like Canada here.. snow fell last week.. and it's still on the ground 8 days later

18. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Merry Christmas one & all!

[​IMG]

19. retro78

retro78 Member

Hey ya'll

Bit late ... :D hope ya'll had a great X-mass this year .. and for the upcomming days : dont blow ya fingers of with them fireworksies :p Happy new years to you lot !!!

greets and love

Retro

20. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

never as almost did that when i was 15, 1st to almost 3rd degree burns on right hand.