1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do i need both .nds and .SAV file on my r4 card?

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by jodielou, Jan 18, 2009.

1. jodielou

jodielou Member

Hi there i am new to this technological stuff and am trying to learn, and fast :) Hoping someone will take time to explain things to me, thank you.

My friend managed to transfer all of my games onto my R4 for me so i am not doing any piracy shenanigans. My other daughter would also like her own R4 so i have managed to download all the software etc and duplicated the R4 data, upon doing this i noticed that there are two files of each game, one a .nds file and the other is a .SAV file,

Q1)What is the difference between the .nds & .SAV files?
    Q2)What is the importance of them? (prob answered with the 1st answer???

Some of the games have taken up all the memory on the microsd and i would like to put more on the 2Gb

Q3) Can i delete one or the offer .nds or .SAV file to create more more memory?

Sorry if these seem like stupid questions and it sounds as though all my questions will be answered with a simple explanation of how these files work, but im totally new to this 'scene'.

P.S. i know it makes sense to buy a bigger microsd which i probably will do but i would just like to know all the information i can.

Hope someone can help me please.

2. dailun

dailun Active member

The .nds file is the ROM.

The .sav file is the gamesave file.

Yes you need both, unless you like starting games from the very beginning each time you play them.

3. jodielou

jodielou Member

Okay, well that was simple enough, Many thanks for replying.

4. dailun

dailun Active member

Depending on which r4 you are using you may be "maxed out" at 2GB.

The Original R4 Revolution supports a maximum 2GB microSD.

There are several variants of R4 currently being sold. You should determine which one you have before buying a memory card that might not work.

5. jodielou

jodielou Member

ahhhh, well thanks for that, as i believe from the reading i have done so far that i have the original r4 which i purchase from amazons market express uk, i used v1.18kernel?.

i was looking at getting another r4, but they now only have a version 3?? is this any different/ what are your views on it?

Also can i still use the data from the original r4 to put directly onto the v3 r4? would the same 2 files 2 folders moonshell/data etc be the same?

and can i then on the v3 get a larger than 2gbmicrosd?

Sorry to b a pain in the jacks but you seem to know your 'stuff', could you tell me a little about sd/sdhc?

Many thanks for your help, its much appreciated. Jodie

6. dailun

dailun Active member

I recommend that you not buy an R4.

The R4 is no longer officially supported.

There are other flashcarts that have better and ongoing support.

My two recommendations

CycloDS Evolution
    EZ Flash V Plus

7. virgo1986

virgo1986 Member

my favorites
    m3 DS real
    G6 DS real
    gbalpha.com

8. penguin98

penguin98 Regular member

I used to have a G6, but the lack of upgradable memory was a problem for me. And I had occasional problems with the USB adapter. If the card wasn't inserted in the socket exactly right the whole memory could be corrupted. I only had that problem with it a few times, but still it was VERY upsetting when it did happen.

My recommendations are the M3 Real, the CycloDS or one of the new DSi-compatible flashcarts.