1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choppy playback using DVDFlick, DVDdecrypter, and TY media

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by Repulsion, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Repulsion

Repulsion Member

I simply can't get a burned DVD to play smoothly.

Generally when I download something it's an AVI file, so I use DVDFlick to convert it.

Then I use DVD Decrypter to write the ISO.

I'm using Taiyo Yuden discs.

DVD burner is a Sony DW-Q30A.

I watch my movies on a Magnavox TV with integrated DVD player.

I shut down as many programs as possible and leave my PC alone while DVD Flick converts and while Decrypter writes so I don't take any resources away from the process.

It is not terrible, I can generally get through a full length movie with maybe 2 or 3 choppy sections, but still enough to be a distraction and a disappointment.

Ideas?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  2. attar

attar Senior member

3. Repulsion

Repulsion Member

Okay I downloaded/installed VLC media player so I could load the ISO on my PC and see if it was choppy in the same places, but it plays smoothly, so it's not the ISO itself. The problem is somewhere within the burning process.

Also I am noticing despite the fact that the drive and the media support speeds up to 16x, the highest I'm seeing the write rate go is 2x. What is holding back my speed?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  4. attar

attar Senior member

If it was other than Taiyo-Yuden, I would suspect the media being burned at too high speed.
    Try burning it with Imgburn.

5. Repulsion

Repulsion Member

Well even though I set the burn speed to max, my average write speed is only around 1.5x, so I don't think it's a problem with fast write speed. I'd like to know why it is writing so slow(I have taken my issue about slow write speed to the DVD+R forum so we won't discuss that here.)

Actually as we speak I already had the same idea and decided I would burn a copy with IMGBurn and see if it works any better.

EDIT: Still choppy after writing with IMGburn.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  6. JoQ85

JoQ85 Member

I have the same problem and I can't figure out why. This is usually at really dark scenes or sometimes at the end of a scene when it fades to black, or when there's a lot of action going on. The audio and video get choppy to the point of ruining the scene. I use DVD-Flick to encode and imgBurn or Nero 6 to burn. Maybe I need to adjust settings before burning/encoding? ANY IDEAS?

Media: Memorex DVD+R 4.7GB
    Burner: an ASUS
    Source: ~700MB .avi
    Encoding: DVD-Flick
    Burning: NERO 6 or imgBurn

7. attar

attar Senior member

FAVC has the option to use (the included) HC Encoder.
    It has different quality settings which may give improved output - at the cost of longer encoding time.

8. pieman

pieman Regular member

Are you both sure that your burners are ok?Is your cpu struggling?Is your hard drive defragmented?(and is there plenty of headroom within that drive?)Id throw the memorex stuff in the trash and try another media, but im concerned about the ty, cos its rare that they fail if they are genuine.I recently had probs with burning and a reinstall cured that, but im still no wiser WHY it happened.And that bugs me.Hopefully your probs are as simple as that.

9. pieman

pieman Regular member

@JoQ85....which nero 6 are you using...66016 is the most stable

10. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

You're burning too slow. Check your DMA.

11. pieman

pieman Regular member

@dialysis good call

12. JoQ85

JoQ85 Member

I have version 6.6.0.1. Is that the same or do I need an update?

Either way the problem still exists even when I burn with imgBurn. It most often gets choppy in dark scenes, for instance when end credits roll. I am going to try encoding with a second encoding pass and see if that does anything. Anyone think that could that be the issue?

PS

...I forgot to mention I am encoding from and onto, as well as burning discs from an external USB HD. Could this affect anything?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  13. bryston

bryston Regular member

Hi,

sounds like the setting is PIO and not DMA

Jo

14. pieman

pieman Regular member

I would visit the nero site and update to 66016, but first i would try burning from an internal hard drive as opposed to the usb drive.That could eliminate one possibility, but also check as previously suggested your dma settings ie:control panel>system>hardware>device manager>click the + sign next to ide/atapi contollers>(do the next for each primary and secondary IDE channels)right click on channel>properties>advanced settings>ensure transfer mode is 'dma if available'.Let us know how you get on.

15. pieman

pieman Regular member

Hows it going?

16. pieman

pieman Regular member

Earth calling repulsion over!!

17. Repulsion

Repulsion Member

Sorry for disappearing, I had given up for the time being.

JoQ85- It's funny that you mention that, that's exactly how my DVD's behave too. The choppiness normally comes in when the picture is black, almost like the audio doesn't know what to do when there's no image happening at the same time, I know that sounds stupid but that's the best I can explain it. Like when a movie ends and fades to black, I can hear the final song playing all choppy, but as soon as credits start to roll on the screen, it smooths out. Or when there's a dark scene in a movie, that's when the audio will get choppy.

I have all drives/channels set to "DMA when available".

My burners should be in good shape, especially the DVD drive which I added not too long ago. The CPU shouldn't be "struggling", I turn off as many applications as possible and leave the PC while encoding/burning. 2.4GHZ with 1.50GB RAM.

As far as burning too slow? I've never heard of that, I always thought burning too quickly was more likely to cause playback issues. But like I said I have DMA enabled so I don't know why it burns that slow.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  18. davexnet

davexnet Active member

Often, DVD players screw up if the bitrate falls too low,
    which you see when it fades to black.
    Some encoders, such as Tmpgenc & CCE, have a minimum, which you can
    set, say to 2000 kbps - and that will be maintained with padding,
    if necessary. This usually fixes the problem.