1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blu-Ray Compression ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by binmax, Feb 22, 2009.

1. binmax

binmax Regular member

I have skimmed through some of the posts about compression and haven't seen an answer I am looking for.

(1) I have a 43gb blu-ray disc, but I only have 25gb blank discs. Is there a compression software out there that can do this? I have used imgburn to get the movie onto my hard drive with no problems.

(2) I have seen lists of dozens of softwares to use while burning/ripping blu-ray. Can Imgburn compress to under 25gb or is Imgburn strictly an exact copy software?

With DVDs, shrink would compress the files to 4464MB, and then you could use Nero to burn to disc. Is Blu-ray not that simple yet?

Sorry if this has been posted before, but I am racking my brain trying to figure this out.

2. syxguns

syxguns Active member

binmax,
    ImgBurn is a very nice building and burning engine but it can not reduce file size. For BD DVD you should use the following. AnyDVD HD, or DVDFab HD to rip. RipBot264, and BD Rebuilder (Beta). With the use of these programs if you want movie only you can normally reduce the file to fit on a DVD-5 instead of a BD, or DL disk with great quality.

AnyDVD: http://slysoft.com
    DVDFab: http://dvdfab.com/free.htm
    RipBot264: http://www.bontragerphotography.com/psp/RipBot264.php
    BD Rebuilder: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=143716

3. binmax

binmax Regular member

So let me get this straight. You are telling me that you can shrink a 43gb BD movie down to a 4.7gb DVD-5 Disc? I can't see how that is possible?

I already have AnyDVD HD. I used it in conjunction with Imgbrn. That's how I thought I was able to put the 43gb movie on my hard drive in the first place. I will try the other softwares you recommended and see what I can come up with.

4. djkrishna

djkrishna Regular member

with BD-REBUILDER u can compress the movie to 25gb disc with true-hd
    even though the disc or the movie said 43gb the main movie isnot necesasarly to be 43gb
    Its all depend on the movie

which movie u r trying to back it up...!!!???

5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

6. binmax

binmax Regular member

I am trying to back up Gangs of New York BD. I was actually pretty fluent at using all the softwares used for DVD ripping/burning. I just received my BD burner and knew that this new format might be a struggle at first. This is my first and only rip so far. I figured I would try and dissect all of the information on this movie first before I started tackling anything else.

7. djkrishna

djkrishna Regular member

u can use bd-rebuilder once u open the moviefrom bd-rebuilder
    it lets you choose the audio format and then u r able to choose 25gb(bd-r)and then process then it will show u the original size of the disc and bd-r size which we can tell how many gb its compressing?
    ttp://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=760714
    check this site out u can get all the movies info
    what are the playlists and whihc file is the movie -only

8. binmax

binmax Regular member

Okay I will look into that. I tried installing the BDRebuilder and it said it was out of date. I can't win for losing. Not for sure why there would even be an out of date version available for download.

9. creaky

You haven't checked out the last link posted above by syxguns, the current version (from his link) is 0.19.06, dated Feb 21, 2009.

Plus a little googling revealed ~ http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/BD-Rebuilder-Download-117797.html

10. Shinrai

Shinrai Member

Only legacy AC3 and DTS is supported at this stage (not TrueHD/DTS-HD) with BD Rebuilder.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  11. djkrishna

djkrishna Regular member

if u go to the preferences there ian option to keep the true-hd audio...

12. Shinrai

Shinrai Member

No, there isn't. The option "do not reencode AC3" does not mean keep TrueHD... It simply means do not reencode 640 Kbit/s AC3 to 448 Kbit/s AC3.

13. djkrishna

djkrishna Regular member

oh ok my bad
    apologies

try the new version of tsmuxer

14. binmax

binmax Regular member

Okay, I have been able to rip the Blu-Ray movie to my hard drive with AnyDVDHD. I ripped the movie as an ISO image with flying colors. Now the ISO image is just slightly bigger than my 25gb disc.

I never liked menus so those won't be an issue. What is being used to to get the stand alone movie down under the 24gb mark in order to fit on the disc? I have Imgburn and NERO 9 to use to burn to disc, but of course the disc isn't big enough.

Does anyone have a refined 5-step user's guide for this, or does everyone have to go to 20 different pages to find all of the software needed?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  15. creaky

Eh ?, it's behind you (well above you) ~

16. edeg02

edeg02 Member

I have been sucessfully backing up my blu-ray disc to a dual layer dvd for sometime now using Anydvd, Ripbot264, and Nero. The process takes about about 22hr from start to finish, but results are amazing. I'm pretty sure by using these programs you should be able to back up your blu-ray movie to blank blu-ray disc with no problem.

17. syxguns

syxguns Active member

His problem is that the movie is on a 50GB disk. He would have to purchase the new 50GB BD disks to fit the entire DVD on it. That is why I suggested that he use RipBot264. Then just record the movie file.

18. binmax

binmax Regular member

I will try that out. I have no interest in backing up a copy with the menus. I am trying to take the movie off of the 50gb disc and put it on a 25gb disc, with nothing else but the movie.

19. djkrishna

djkrishna Regular member

ripbot will compress
    bd-rebuilder will compress
    Tsmuxer will elinimate the unnecessary aduio formats and subty's to get the lowets GB and highest quality
    If i were you
    I use tsmuxer first and elinimate the unnecessary formats like sapnish,french,
    I would keep main movie with one audio and one subty and let see how big will be file 9Make sure you choose bd- structure as output file)

Most of the time 70% of the movies willcome under 25gb
    Ganges of newyork will be more than that and i will take that stripped file and ran it inot Bd-rebuilder o r ribbot

20. edeg02

edeg02 Member

Ripbot will do everything you need it to do, and you can make the file any size you like. After which all you need to do is burn it to a disk and watch your movie.