AfterDawn: Tech news

Time Warner receiving more protests over tiered bandwidth caps

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 16 Apr 2009 2:33 User comments (13)

Time Warner receiving more protests over tiered bandwidth caps

Last week we reported that Time Warner Cable was planning to test "tiered" Internet access, each with bandwidth caps.
The plan received significant backlash from Rep. Eric Massa of New York, who promised to draft a bill completely eliminate "unfair" tiered pricing structures from ISPs. Massa added at the time: "I am taking a leadership position on this issue because of all the phone calls, e-mails and faxes I've received from my district and all over the country. Time Warner has announced an ill-conceived plan to charge residential and business broadband fees based on the amount of data they download. They have yet to explain how increased Internet usage increases their costs."

That criticism continues to come from all areas now however, notably in the areas where the tests are set to start soon, Rochester, N.Y.; Greensboro, S.C.; and San Antonio and Austin, Texas.

In Rochester, the city's largest newspaper has publicly called on Time Warner to explain its actions, and company executives recently met harsh criticism at any open public forum. The new website, StopTheCap.com is currently running as a way for users to protest the caps.

Alexander Dudley, spokesman for Time Warner Cable, added:
"Consumption of bandwidth is exploding, and that's good, but it requires a substantial investment in infrastructure. There's a vocal minority of heavy bandwidth users for whom this plan is unappealing, but we're not hearing from the overwhelming majority of our customers who will be unaffected by this."

Previous Next  

13 user comments

116.4.2009 10:04

Quote:
There's a vocal minority of heavy bandwidth users for whom this plan is unappealing, but we're not hearing from the overwhelming majority of our customers who will be unaffected by this.
Yea, but wait until the caps actually start and customers receive their first bill. "we went over our cap last month how much?!?!"

216.4.2009 10:05
LissenUp
Inactive

Quote:
Consumption of bandwidth is exploding, and that's good, but it requires a substantial investment in infrastructure. There's a vocal minority of heavy bandwidth users for whom this plan is unappealing, but we're not hearing from the overwhelming majority of our customers who will be unaffected by this."

Call me pessimistic, but somehow I think this statement is F.O.S. and so is the exec. "Not hearing from" my ass. I just don't think people are going straight to their political rep before registering a complaint with their provider.

316.4.2009 11:53

Glad to see an uprising... now do the same with the nickel and dime landline and cellphone charges!

416.4.2009 14:58

According to Stopthecap! TWC has shelved their metered billing plans in all test markets!

516.4.2009 15:13
david89
Inactive

i think they are lieing because they want make $1000 amonth or more internet service pay for what you use very bad idea only people won't affect is people don't know how use the pc and if want just check emails they should just bought the slow speed and not fastest speed or they could just use dial up. they just want find away charge 3 times amount per month for nonething.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 16 Apr 2009 @ 3:15

616.4.2009 15:40

Originally posted by david89:
i think they are lieing because they want make $1000 amonth or more internet service pay for what you use very bad idea only people won't affect is people don't know how use the pc and if want just check emails they should just bought the slow speed and not fastest speed or they could just use dial up. they just want find away charge 3 times amount per month for nonething.
You might want to proof read your comment before posting. I have to read this five times before I could understand it. And I thought my English was bad.

716.4.2009 16:27

Originally posted by david89:
Are you 13 years old?

816.4.2009 17:17

Originally posted by Run4two:
According to Stopthecap! TWC has shelved their metered billing plans in all test markets!
Thank god, I was planning on calling my representatives soon but now it looks like I don't have to :D

916.4.2009 18:39

Here is an article at PC mag

Originally posted by Time Warner Company:
"It is clear from the public response over the last two weeks that there is a great deal of misunderstanding about our plans to roll out additional tests on consumption based billing," Time Warner CEO Glen Britt said in a statement. "As a result, we will not proceed with implementation of additional tests until further consultation with our customers and other interested parties, ensuring that community needs are being met."

From this article
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2345430,00.asp

1016.4.2009 21:40

Well if my ISP started to introduce bandwidth capping my reaction would be very simple I would ditch them and go with the competition, and if 35% of there customers did just that they could end up the same way as GM

1121.7.2012 18:52

You sound like a spammer.

1221.7.2012 21:30

Originally posted by JST1946:
You sound like a spammer.

I hate to disrespect a Veteran, but pot meet kettle. You bumped a 3+ year old thread for this.

1321.7.2012 22:04

Well someone posted before I did I guess they removed it aleady.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
7 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive