1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD Phenom II X4 810 match with OCZ or Corsair DDR3 in a M4A78T-E help?

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by echidna_n, May 7, 2009.

1. echidna_n

echidna_n Member

Hi,

I’m doing a upgrade (Motherboard, CPU, Memory) as my old Asus A8N-SLI has died.
    I’ve decided to go with onboard graphics as I’m not a big gamer looking for SLI anymore and I want to have a much quieter machine. I’ve chosen the Asus M4A78T-E and the AMD Phenom II X4 810 purely on personal preferences and budget. I do a lot of video encoding and playback of 1080p with Media Center therefore I’ll be using my old components:
    Windows XP Media Center Edition (32bit)
    WinTV-HVR-2200 PCI-E Dual TV Tuner
    PCI 56k Modem
    Creative Aduigy 2 ZS 24bit Sound ? or Onboard I don’t know what’s best but that’s another topic.

Since I don’t know much about computer overclocking and CPU bus/memory matching my question is about DDR3 1333 memory. After searching plenty of review websites and forums I think I’ll go with OCZ or Corsair and not G.Skill, what do you think? Also I can’t get Mushkin or some of the others in DDR3 here in New Zealand.

So here’s what I’ve been looking at:
    Corsair TW3X4G1333C9DHX 4GB XMP XMS3 DHX 9-9-9-24 $210
    Corsair TW3X4G1600C9DHX 4GB XMP XMS3 DHX 9-9-9-24 $235
    OCZ OCZ3P13334GK XTC 7-7-7-20 $250 ?
    OCZ OCZ3P16004GK XTC 7-7-7-24 $273 ?
    HyperX KHX11000D3LLK2-4G 4GB 1375MHz DDR3 7-7-7-20 $290

I’ve read about Corsair voltage going above 2.0v is this why it’s only a 5yr warranty?
    Quote from OCZ “OCZ's hand-tested DDR3 solutions enable ardent enthusiasts to take advantage of the highly-anticipated Intel P35 platform” so is this no good for AMD Phenom then?

I have seen the OCZ OCZ3P1600LVAM4GK DDR3 PC3-12800 Platinum AMD Edition mentioned in another topic here so is this the memory I should chasing? If so why because I can’t get it here yet in N.Z anyway and I don’t suppose Newegg.com would ship to me either?

Any help and suggestions welcome please.
    Regards,
    Simon.

2. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

Saying "For Intel I7" or "tested with AMD" is just a marketing strategy. It does not make any difference. All that matters are the capacity, the timing (7-7-7-20, etc) and the MHZ.

A 5-year warrantee is a lot; the memory will be sitting unused in your closet by then.

Corsair still has a better reputation, but lately OCZ has stepped up their game, and I think when I goto DDR3 it will be OCZ.

Don't cry about Muskin not being available; it has been low quality trash for a while.

If you plan to overclock, you are probably going to want a better mainboard; ASUS has terrible quality these days (your old asus burned out on you after all). Gigabyte and DFI are both great options.