1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to remove a file that doesn't exist?

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by Tsun, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Tsun

Tsun Member

So apparently im stuck with 2 files that doesn't exist.

When i try to remove/rename them, it just says "object couldn't be found" or something like that. (my pc is in finnish and it says "Tätä kohdetta ei löytynyt.")

I've had numerous of these cases, but this time the problem is that the file type is just a "file".

I.E, i normally fix it by "copying" it, giving the copy the excact same name and place it to the same folder along with the "missing" file. Then the copy replaces the missing file and i can delete the copy normally.
    But since this time the filetype is a "file", i cannot create such thing and it just goes there with the missing one.

Please don't suggest any silly "unlock" crap because it's not locked/in use/whatever. It's just missing while the icon remains or something.

I've restarted the computer and all, doesn't work.

I could fix it if i just knew how to create a file with no extension(if it's even possible).

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

do you know how to use regedit?

3. Tsun

Tsun Member

Well, that depends.
    I never used it but i just opened it and looks pretty simple.
    But i have no idea what i'm supposed to do with it :S

4. ooZEROoo

ooZEROoo Regular member

Well as a novice I would not go messing around in the registry. While in school for networking and IT I was always told to go to the registry last and to only go there if I knew what I was doing. If you choose to go messing around in the registry make sure you make a backup of the registry.

5. Squirt007

Squirt007 Member

I have the exact same problem. Two files that still appear as being there (but with no extension), but if I try to delete them or rename them etc, windows tells me the file doesn't exist.

I have had them for about 4 months now. I just can't get rid of them. I am comfortable editing the registry, but I don't see how that will help me with these two files.

Any help would be great.

6. loood

loood Regular member

i worked a roundbout once for that problem (vista fun). i added files to rar archive, renamed the archive and checked option "Delete files after archiving". after that i just removed the archive

7. Tsun

Tsun Member

WinRAR says the same thing :/ The files do not exist.

8. loood

loood Regular member

im interested in that registry fix if anyone can link me to it. thx