1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Bravia keeps turning off

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by asilay328, Aug 26, 2009.

1. asilay328

asilay328 Member

I have a 46" Sony bravia kdf-46e3000 that keeps turning off after 1-2 mintutes of viewing and power light blinks afterwards but never turns back on. Any suggestions to what could be wrong with it and how to fix it?

2. dailun

dailun Active member

Call it in for service. You have a power problem internal to the TV and something is overheating. Unless you know how to fix TVs you probably can't fix it yourself.

3. asilay328

asilay328 Member

Alright, thanks for the info, I will check out some places

4. riksta72

riksta72 Member

We too have the same model 46" Bravia and recently were faced with the same symptoms you noted. Can you confirm that once the screen goes dark and all sound stops that the green power light eventually stops and the red LED LAMP light blinks? If so, per page 43 of our User's Manual,
    While the manual shows the lamp is easy to replace, this part is not cheap so I recommend a google search for your best deal. You'll be surprised at the price range available.

5. dailun

dailun Active member

I didn't know that this was a projection TV when I initially responded.

My diagnosis still stands from a general perspective. Thanks for posting a more specific diagnosis.

6. riksta72

riksta72 Member

Just ordered a new XL-2500 lamp plus housing for our 46" Sony Bravia online from projectorquest.

Code:
    http://www.projectorquest.com/product_info.php?products_id=4363
    Total cost: $167.75 including 2-3 day USPS Priority shipping. By far the best deal I could find.

Takes less than a minute to remove 2 doors and pull the lamp housing... less than that to pop it all back in. (Carefully cleaned the dust from the housing region and practiced with the burned out one while I await the new arrival.) One might consider acquiring a spare as these do eventually burnout (1-2 years / 6,000-8000hrs) and it appears Sony no longer manufactures this particular television.

Also, after the lamp is replaced, the power cord plugged in, and the TV turned on; the Users Manual indicates the need to set the Lamp Replacement option in the General settings (see page 42). This setting is necessary to inform you when the next lamp replacement is needed.

7. riksta72

riksta72 Member

XL-2500 replacement lamp from "projectorquest.com" arrived promptly and well packed. Lamp took mere seconds to replace and about the same to reset the 'Lamp Replacement' option under the 'General' setting to provide an on-screen visual indicator prior to the next time the bulb needs replacing. In a minute at best the picture was even better than before and I now had the comfort of knowing such an item was safely owner serviceable.

Also worthy of note, projectorquest even addresses lamp recycling by providing a postage paid return label for return of the burned out mercury lamp and housing. Once used lamp is received with original housing, a $10 refund will be credited back to our credit card.

Hope this gives hope and a measure of comfort to others who may be dreading the repair of their 42" Sony Bravia rear projection screen TV after a few years of service.

8. riksta72

riksta72 Member

Correction: Sony 46" Bravia

9. dailun

dailun Active member

Thanks as well. I now know to keep my nose out of questions regarding DLP TVs.

10. enderandr

enderandr Member

I have a KDF-50E3000. The lamp light isn't coming on for me. The TV will power on. I get light and sound for about two minutes, after that, the power light blinks. I can't get an on screen menu from the TV or anything. If I power off the TV for a few minutes, I can power it back on and get the same results.

I'm assuming some internal components are overheating. I can see a fan from the back, which does turn on and spin. My TV is 18 months old, and thusly out of warranty.

I have fixed my PS2, PS3, and original X-Box by tearing them apart and figuring them out. I also do PC repair for a living. I'm considering tearing the TV apart and trying to fix the power supply. However, I'm trying to see if I can find information on what the blinking power light means first.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  11. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

enderandr, hijacking a member's thread is a forum rule no no so start your own thread about your own problem.

12. riksta72

riksta72 Member

Sony considers the KDF-50E3000 and the KDF-46E3000 so similar the user's manual is actually the same for both models. The symptoms 'enderandr' describes appear the same as noted earlier in this thread. While not an electronics technician by any means, it is still my belief this problem is bulb related vice power supply. Pg 19 of the manual clearly describes the three LED lamps resident below the screen and just to the right of center. I first noticed our problem when the picture and sound suddenly went off and the green power LED simply blinked green instead of a steady green as normal. Once I read the manual regarding lamp replacement (pgs 43-45) I decided to pull our lamp out and then put it back in it to see if it might simply be a contact issue. Once I did this, the red lamp LED began blinking and then remained on which I interpreted to mean the lamp was due for replacement.

With this said, I would encourage 'enderandr' and any other Bravia owners in the 2 year timeframe that are now noting these symptoms to refer to this paragraph on pg 43 of the user manual.
    While ours never initially exhibited the exact symptoms noted in the manual, once I took the lamp out and put it back in, the red LED LAMP did light up providing me enough evidence that the projection lamp was burned out. As noted earlier in this thread, projection lamp replacement resolved our problem and was very easy to do with part in hand and following the guidance provided on pgs 43-45 of the KDF-46E3000/KDF-50E3000 user manual.

13. enderandr

enderandr Member

Thanks. I'll try reseating the lamp and see if the lamp light comes on.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  14. riksta72

riksta72 Member

Sounds good. Afterwards, if you believe your projection lamp to be the issue, please note the link to the site where I acquired our replacement lamp earlier in this thread. If you go this route, remember to set the 'Lamp Replacement' option under the 'General' settings once you've replaced your lamp with a new one. Doing so should provide for an onscreen indicator next time your lamp approaches its life expectancy. (See pg 45 of KDF46-E3000/KDF50-E3000 user manual.

Finally, please post your findings as others may well benefit from your experience. Good luck!

15. enderandr

enderandr Member

Sure enough, after reseating the lamp, the red lamp light is on now. I just ordered a lamp. Thanks for the help.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  16. mmittner

mmittner Member

Im having the same problem, only my red LED light doesn't come on. So here's the story.....

I bought a Sony 3 LCD Projection TV - KDF-50E3000 in November of 2007. I noticed this problem a couple months ago, but went away till a few days ago. My problem is that when watching the TV, the TV will all of a sudden turn off, while the green LED light in front flashes approx 67 times (instead of staying on constant) and then turn back on. The red LED "Lamp" light NEVER turns on, so I dont know if its the lamp even though it is over 2 yrs old and has about 7000 hrs on it. I noticed that if I turn the TV on for the first time that day, it will say on with no problems for about an hour or so, but after that hour it repeats the off and on process about every 2 min or so. Its now been happening for frequently as the days go on. Also when the TV starts back up the screen/lighting faintly flickers for a few seconds then is at the normal picture. I thought it might have something to do with my Directv HD DVR (HR21-100) because it has been freezing and sometimes even rebooting itself every so often, but I dont think that would cause the problem. (BTW its connected via HDMI from DTV HD DVR to the TV.) Its very frustrating because I cant watch anything without being interrupted and the TV is only a couple yrs old. I contacted Sony tech support, but they want me to get a licensed Sony technician to come look at it, which is $100 just for a service call, and dont want him/her to come out just to tell me the lamp needs replaced! Could someone please help my on this issue, to avoid a 100 dollar service call. Thanks in advance for your feedback!

17. riksta72

riksta72 Member

I can relate to your frustration and regret you are experiencing such issues. Something you might try if you haven't already would be to pull the lamp and carefully vacuum all the residual dust from the lamp, lamp housing, rear facing grill and lamp socket being careful NOT to touch the lamp itself. You should be able to clean it by holding the housing. Once throughly clean, replace the lamp via the instructions noted in your manual (or the ones I've included earlier in this thread. Then turn the set on and note which lights are doing what. This should give you some idea of what's going on.

Here's what our manual indicated we should expect as the lamp's life winds down:
    While ours never initially exhibited the exact symptoms noted in the manual, once I took the lamp out and put it back in, the red LED lamp did light up providing me enough evidence that the projection lamp was burned out. As noted earlier in this thread, projection lamp replacement resolved our problem and was very easy to do with part in hand and following the guidance provided on pgs 43-45 of the KDF-46E3000/KDF-50E3000 user manual.

Considering our red LED lamp didn't light up until I pulled and cleaned the lamp; I suspect this feature wasn't initially set during the manufacturing process. Can't say for sure but judging by the hours you note on your set it sounds like your issue may indeed be lamp related.

Hope this at least gives you some steps to try yourself before having to send up the costly repair flag. Good luck and post your findings.

18. jedi_skum

jedi_skum Guest

Some of the Bravias have this issue and sony has released a firmware update to address this problem.

19. riksta72

riksta72 Member

jedi_skum

Based on your brief problem description it sounds similar to the core lamp issue discussed within this thread. I can't speak for everyone who posted here but hopefully my postings clearly addressed what worked to solve our particular problem. I've noted several suggestions in this thread that may be of some assistance in further diagnosing your issue.

First, I recommend checking your manual about lamp replacement. Second, following those instructions, pull your lamp (being very careful to ONLY handle it by the housing) and throughly clean (vacuum) the lamp, housing, and socket area plus cooling slots on the back of the set. Third, replace your original lamp and see if the red LED lamp blinks after turning the set back on. Doing these steps confirmed our need for a lamp replacement. After you try these simple steps you should have some indication whether your lamp is at issue.

Good luck and keep this thread informed of your findings as it appears many of these sets are starting to exhibit similar symptoms.

20. seoservic

seoservic Guest

spam edited by ddp

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2010