1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Bravia keeps turning off

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by asilay328, Aug 26, 2009.

1. riksta72

riksta72 Member

j_s...

My bad. Didn't realize you were quoting the OP before responding. Proves I shouldn't multitask while checking email I suppose.

2. djstiles1

djstiles1 Member

Hello.
    I am getting the on screen warning that the bulb is reaching its lifetime, which I sense is about right. I would like to get a replacement on order prior to losing the TV altogether, however is it possible just to replace the bulb with the existing housing or must I purchase the entire housing and bulb replacement. I see both available online and it appears there is about $20-30 difference.
    In advance I appreciate any responses!
    djstiles1

3. riksta72

riksta72 Member

It appears possible to replace the lamp only as long as you feel comfortable removing the old lamp and replacing the new one without touching the new lamp with your fingers. If I recall when researching ours, I ran across several warnings about not touching the bulb during replacement as this could damage the bulb. You might try pulling your old lamp unit (it comes out installed in the housing) and try disassembling and then reassembling (with latex gloves perhaps?) to determine if you feel comfortable with the process involved with lamp replacement. If so, it appears you could save yourself a few bucks.

Good luck and please keep this thread informed of your findings as it offers useful insight to others with similar issues.

4. mmittner

mmittner Member

Just received my Phillips lamp with housing yesterday. Easy install, and no longer shutting off by itself!!!! Yay! Bought the lamp on Amazon.com for 129.00 brand new. By far the best price I could find that wasn't a "knock-off" Thanks everybody for all of your help! :) Its like having a brand new TV!!!

5. riksta72

riksta72 Member

mm,

Glad you were able to find an even better deal than I for your lamp replacement. Also, I can tell you're quite pleased with your results. It's a nice sense of satisfaction learning one can replace such a part and then experience that brand new TV look once again. Hope your experience will encourage others to make similar efforts as they find their way into this thread.

"Not knowing something is often a mile stone on the way to knowledge." ~ Anon.

6. lizaroy

lizaroy Guest

Hi

Could someone please help me my Sony Bravia tv keeps switching itself on and off every minute or so, had trouble with my cable services had to reboot it since then the tv has gone haywire. I have checked in my manual and it said to check the timer was not activated which it wasn't ,it doesn't even stay on that long for me to check any of the settings. Although it goes off the green light still stays on.

Hope someone out there can help me solve it.

7. riksta72

riksta72 Member

Hey lizaroy,

When I initially read your concern I felt yours might be a different problem entirely. However, your last few statements led me to believe it might indeed be lamp related after all. You didn't say how old it is or approximately how many hours you have on your current lamp so I'm merely making a guess at this point. With that said...

First, if you feel your lamp might be at the end of its life cycle, I recommend you read this entire thread for familiarization with other Bravia lamp issues and results.

Second after doing so, take special note of my reply dated 14. September 2009 @ 10:29. Note our green LED remained blinking even though the set kept shutting down. (This condition wasn't identified in our manual either.)

Third, I highly recommend you carefully follow your manual's instructions for removing the lamp and housing for cleaning as an initial step. Next, carefully vacuum your lamp, housing, and this compartment well with your dusting attachment including the cooling vents on back. Then, replace your lamp and housing. Afterwards, plug your set back in and turn it on noting which color LEDs light and whether they remain steady or blink.

Fourth, after completing said recommendations, see if your LED lights reflect any of what is written in either your manual or in this thread. If so, your lamp is probably your problem and needs replacement. If so, please note mmittner's reply posted 11. February 2010 @ 16:56 in which Amazon.com was noted as the best deal found at that point. (You may want to conduct your own research for a better deal like they did which beat the one I found when searching for ours at an earlier point.)

Fifth, If not, your issue may be an entirely different problem requiring either further research or perhaps technical advice or repair.

Hope this at least gives you a direction to head toward resolving your dilemma. Please consider keeping the thread informed of your findings as it appears others are starting to experience similar issues with their Sony Bravias.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  8. nykonoleh

nykonoleh Guest

I have same problem, I contacted my vendor many times due to warranty period and still it problem remains. I don't have any idea what exactly the problem is. If any people get same problem and have better solution will be really appreciable.
    Thanks in advance.

9. riksta72

riksta72 Member

It would be most helpful if you could accurately describe the problem your Sony Bravia is experiencing. It's hard to offer potential solutions without specifics.

10. usherMK

usherMK Member

very helpful

11. riksta72

riksta72 Member

usherMK,

Glad you're finding this thread helpful with whatever issue you're experiencing. If you resolve, please consider posting your resolution so others can be encouraged to do the same.

Thanks and good luck!