1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Viore Design Flaw ... Possible Override?

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by spirittoo, Sep 1, 2009.

1. spirittoo

spirittoo Regular member

Hi there ... I purchase a Viore V32NAFC HD wide screen LCD TV. The problem is Viore in their infinite wisdom didn't bother to have the "-" key on the remote functing when I have the TV in a mode to look for an individual digital channel. I can only scan channels with the remote. Now it has no problem looking for individual analog channel, but not an individual digital channel, because the key that gives me the "." will not function in that mode ... even in the owners manual it shows only the number keys functioning during the search mode ... if I want to find more digital channels I have to have the TV do a complete search ... which mean I lose all the channels I had before the search and I don't want that.

I contacted Viore, they gave me the run around, they would not admit to the design flaw ... after weeks of getting the run around they sent me a new remote ... claiming that was the problem ... of course it was not. I wanted to find a way to over-ride the function, the Tech had me try a few things with the remote, but nothing worked.

Is there anyone here that may knows what I can do to get the "-" key to give me that "." so I can look for one digital channel at a time? Is there a way to override that or am I stuck with it?

If you would like me to post the manual ... I think I can.

2. dailun

dailun Active member

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  3. spirittoo

spirittoo Regular member

Hi ... thanks for replying ... the review you saw was mind ... I'm not saying the "-" key isn't present ... only that it doesn't function in the mode I described. I just want to see if there is a way to get the function to work some other way.
    Thanks anyway.

4. dailun

dailun Active member

I have read your problem description and I am still not sure what your problem is.

That (- or .) key only functions to allow you to manually select subchannels.

2-1 (or 2.1 on Sony), etc.

If that doesn't function then the TV is defective.

My Sony and Samsung don't do what you appear to be describing, although they do allow a choice of analog scan only or digital scan only.

Full channel scan (digital, analog or both) is the only way that I know of to scan and detect digital subchannels.

5. spirittoo

spirittoo Regular member

Okay I will try and explain again. Everything on the tv works fine except when I want to do an individual search for a digital channel. You see if the tv doesn't find the channel by scanning it will not recognize that channel. Say for instance I want to watch 19.1 or 19.3 if the tv didn't find it during a complete scan it will not bring up that channel. Now the "-" key that provides the "." works when I want to put in a particular channel during normal tv mode, as long as that channel was found during the complete scan. If not and I try to punch in a digital channel it will simply go back to the previous channel. Now if the digital channel was found during scanning I have no problem punching it in on the remote during normal mode. The "-" will function then. But if I want to find another digital channel that I don't currently have I have to do a complete scan, which I don't want to do because I lose all the channels that I found during the last complete scan, and if a channel that it found during the last complete scan is not found during the current complete scan, I will lose that channel.
    Now I have no problems doing an individual channel scan for an analog station, because I don't need the "-" key, but to do an individual scan for a digital channel in the individual scan mode will not work because the "-" key will not function in that mode. Do you understand what I am saying now?

6. dailun

dailun Active member

Yes I do.

If you punch in a channel, the tuner should go to that channel whether or NOT it was picked up on the channel scan.

Whether or not the TV STAYS on that channel if there is no valid signal is also dependent on the design of the tuner.

In every TV I have ever seen, even if there is no signal, the TV will stay there and just display snow. On digital channels, the TV will typically display "no signal".

What you are describing is "the way that the TV was designed", and unless the manufacturer decided to change that logic and provide an update in firmware, that's the way it will stay.

IMHO, your digital channel lineup shouldn't be changing so much that rescanning should be a problem. As far as "losing" already acquired channels, your channels shouldn't be changing like that unless you are trying to watch ATSC channels that broadcast over analog cable without a digital cable converter.

BTW, I would suggest that in the future you do not use bold in your replies. In many circles it is considered the same as ALL CAPS (i.e. shouting).

7. spirittoo

spirittoo Regular member

Sorry about the bold, but it is easier to see. I mean no offense. I told Viore it was a design flaw, but they refuse to admit that. Instead they sent me another remote. Which of course did the same thing as the remote I had. I don't want to do a complete scan because there signals from each direction and I have to get the antenna just right to get as many as I can, and just because I got it that time doesn't mean I will get it with another scan. It took me a while to get all the channels I have now and I don't want to lose them. Weather plays a big role in OTA signals. I guess I must accept this design flaw ... other than this the tv is fine. Thank you for your post.

8. dailun

dailun Active member

The only workaround that I can think of is (if the TV has this feature) to manually discover and add channels.

I don't know of any TV that will scan and append.

I will check my Sony and Samsung tonight to see if that feature is even available.

9. spirittoo

spirittoo Regular member

I think that would be the same as doing a complete scan with my TV ... thanks for the input anyway.