Original R4 / Mario and Luigi Bowsers Inside Story

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by Luke9389, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Luke9389

Luke9389 Member

I have an ORIGINAL R4 (not a clone) and was wondering if there is a way to play -Mario and Luigi Bowsers Inside Story- on it. I know I should probably update my card but for know does anyone know If I can play this game on there and if so HOW???

2. dailun

dailun Active member

That game will not currently (and will quite probably NEVER) work on an original R4.

Original R4 software is no longer updated and therefore will not be able to defeat the new anti-piracy measures.

Many currently shipping and SUPPORTED flashcarts can't even support this game.

Time to buy a new flashcart.

3. Luke9389

Luke9389 Member

Thats what I thought. Any suggestions? Cyclo, M3,????

4. dailun

dailun Active member

Cyclo if you can afford it, M3Real or EZ Flash V+ would be my second choice.

5. keeks750

keeks750 Regular member

I'm confused about this game. Does this game play on any flash cart yet or just not the original r4?

6. dailun

dailun Active member

It does play on certain flashcarts. I can verify that the patched version plays on a G6Real. I can verify that the full ROM plays on a CycloDS running 1.56beta3 firmware. I can verify that it does NOT run on an EZFlash V.

I can verify that it doesn't run on an ORIGINAL R4DS and probably never will for the reasons above.

I quit purchasing any flashcart with R4 in it's name a long time ago and will never buy another.

7. domdom87

domdom87 Member

i can't be bothered with flashcart updates anymore because it seems nintendo is stepping up its game. i'll probably just buy this game and any worthwhile and AAA title game in the future. i originally R4'ed my games not cuz im a pirating cheapskate but there are just times where i dont wanna fork out 60 bucks (au) for some crappy game that i'll play for 5 minutes (like air traffic control)

8. MaryD7

MaryD7 Regular member

EZFlash Vi works with patched rom on kernel 2.0 RC6
    Acekard 2i works with unpatch rom on kernel akaio 1.5
    played upto first save point and restart ds, can continue from save point.
    ;)

9. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Can confirm this game doesn't work on the 'R4 SDHC Upgrade Revolution for DS'. Every game before this does work (that i know of), so that's fine, not really fussed with newer games to be honest. Can always replace the R4 with a better supported card in the future..

10. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Found this when doing a search for a fix for Mario and Luigi Bowsers Inside Story and R4DS and it worked for me.

It is a Third Party firmware for R4DS called YSMenu.

You will need to delete any other type of firmware off the card (Just leave games and game saves on and delete everything else).

Now download this file HERE and extract it to the root of the micro-sd card.

Have fun playing.

If you happen to have patched the game with the supposed patch that has been around then you could get a white screen still. Make sure you have an unpatched version of the game.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  11. creaky

Nice one. I half-stumbled onto some info on that firmware by accident the other week, but as most of it was in Japanese i lost interest.
    Have downloaded from your link and will try it out and reply back when i've had a play around with it..

edit
    - doesn't work on my R4 'SDHC Revolution'. Also followed this link to the letter ~ http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/731812

..all i get is a white screen with a red 'MENU?' icon in the middle of the screen. Will have to do some googling..

12. larrylje

larrylje Active member

You sure you have an unpatched version?

I patched the game before with a fix and got a white screen. After that I downloaded a clean copy and didn't patch it and it worked.

13. creaky

No i don't mean the game, the entire firmware isn't working for me, the DS boots up then all i see is a red icon similar to this in the middle of the screen ~
    [​IMG]

..well it's not really that similar, i get a red outline which i guess almost resembles an SD card with the word 'MENU?' inside it.

The game itself is unpatched, but obviously can't get that far until the menu works..

Haven't googled yet, i tried the guide by woof811 that i linked to, same result.

14. godpo6

godpo6 Member

where exactly do i extract it? tat way i don't mess my r4 up

15. Mickoz74

Mickoz74 Active member

16. chenci

chenci Member

Hi, i have Original R4, i tried YSmenu with Mario and Luigi Bowsers inside story. But the games frezees at when Bowser tries to enter the ship at the beginning of the game, it's the second time when you play with bowser. I also tried Wood R4 and it freezed on the same place. The game is NOT patched. Any guess?
    Thanks

17. Mickoz74

Mickoz74 Active member

try another flash cart not an R4 one, acekard 2i with akaio 1.6R2

18. Cameron34

Cameron34 Member

If You Have 'R4 SDHC Upgrade Revolution For DS' Then Format The SD Card To A 'FAT32' And Then Download And Extract This File (http://www.r4i-software.com/r4i-sdhc-english-v1-22b-software/) Straight To The SD Card. If You Have The Original R4 Then I Don't Know! =P

19. disneybeb

disneybeb Member

That game words with my gen r4 using wood for r4 firmware http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=219894

i have found this firmware a god send since the r4 firmware is no longer updates tested many new games using it not run into any problems other than jam with the band.

20. Bonovox40

Bonovox40 Regular member

I got this game to work with an original R4 and FW using YSMENU to boot up the game. Cheats are even working fine.