1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Corsair 450w VX + HD5870 ?

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by xChronox, Sep 26, 2009.

1. xChronox

xChronox Regular member

Alas, the DX11 cards are released.

With the amazing benchmarks of crysis we've seen, using a bottlenecked CPU, there's no doubt it outperforms even a 4870x2.

But will it work with a 450w VX PSU and a Quad-Core CPU?

Does anyone know?

It uses 2x6Pin.

It's probably too early to ask, but I'd love to see the power consumptions of these BEASTS.

~S

2. Knuck1ez

Knuck1ez Regular member

It requires a 500W minimum PSU but since you got a corsair PSU 450W SHOULD be enough, but I would go for at least a 550vx. If you already have the 450vx try it first, but if not get the 550vx or 750w if you want a 5870 crossfire (Overkill though)

3. xChronox

xChronox Regular member

Thanks for the somewhat fast reply heheh :).

I already have the 450w VX and it's been great for the 2 years I've had it.

Well, I'm not one of those crazy rich PC builders who preorder 4 5870's for crazy amounts of money.

I have a 3850 at the moment and when I bought it it was like, the best out, then the 4800 series came out, then the new games came out and I was screwed for FPS :(.

It's a good card though, but I just want THE-BEST. This time.

But yeah, I have a Core 2 Duo at the moment, I said Quad-Core because I'd be bottlenecking my CPU with a C2D.

Sorry for the long post, one more thing though..

How are GPUs for falling prices? ATM a 5870 is like £300, the sapphire one (the one I want) is 322, that'll go down by the end of October right?

Thanks.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Power consumption of the 5870 is exactly the same as a 4870 (singular), but it uses less at idle, much less, 27W versus 60W or so.

A Corsair 450W VX PSU will power one if you use a molex to PCI express power adapter, but you should really upgrade to something like a 520W HX with two connectors.

If you want lower prices, you'd be wise to wait until the 5850/5870X2 cards and nvidia's offering come out, the 5870 price is likely to drop substantially then.

Oh, and the 3850 was never the best out, it came out at the same time as the 3870 :p

5. xChronox

xChronox Regular member

Nice to see you again Sam ;).

Yeah that's exactly what I've been going over in my head for the past week or so, so I decided to just gather all the money I can get until the new year and then purchase one.

I hope they still offer Dirt 2 for free though, because that should be awesome.

I was thinking of upgrading to a PSU like this http://www.ebuyer.com/product/135514

But of course with quality comes price. And Corsair definitely has the most priciest of PSUs, so if I WAS to get one, I would make sure it would be enough to power a GTX295, so in the future when new cards come out I wouldn't be screwed :).

So far, I have £250 to spend. So when the 5870s go down to like, 250, I should be able to afford it. It's just fitting the 11" beast into my case I'm a bit worried about. (Using an Akasa Zen) :p.

Thanks.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

They may well do so chrono, as DiRT 2 is going to be one of, if not the first DX11 game title, and ATI have 'booked' it to showcase DX11 for them, as they did with HAWX with 10.1.
    The 650W TX is a fine unit, but you do sacrifice modular capability and to a lesser extent low noise in favour of more watts than most people will need. Remember I ran an overclocked Q6600 and 4870X2 off a 520W HX with 3 HDDs and had 100W to spare. The 5870 is no more power hungry than the 4870, so you could conceivably run a 3.7Ghz Core i5 and two HD5870s off a 520W HX, at which load it still runs at its supersilent c. 18dB noise level, or very near it, such that even I couldn't tell the difference.
    Corsair PSUs aren't anywhere near the most expensive, look up some Enermax, Tagan and Thermaltake units - you'd be surprised how much they can fetch - Corsair's 1KW unit is in fact one of the cheapest.
    I reckon you might JUST fit a 5870 into a Zen - it's gonna be tight though, and more to the point, it's going to get HOT in there.

7. xChronox

xChronox Regular member

Haha, yeah I'm not really bothered about how much noise the PC makes really, because I have my headphones on and I'm listening to music or playing a game usually.

Yeah I should be able to afford a Case, so I've been looking around on Scan for one, do you know any good cases that I could check out?

In the Zen my second HDD is hanging out because I can't fit it in :S.

- One quick question, I've been seeing the Antec 900 for REALLY cheap now, around £75, do you think it's wise for me to buy that?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not unless it's the nine hundred two (which I doubt), the original isn't that great a case, I owned one. I much prefer the design of the NZXT Tempest, which is only 80 quid at ebuyer. That can fit 8 hard drives without any hanging out :p

9. xChronox

xChronox Regular member

Nice! I'll check it out.

I was looking at this as well http://www.ebuyer.com/product/131551

I can't really judge the size though (looked on google), it looks pretty small right?

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The RC-690 isn't that small really, but I'm not sure I'd want a 5870 in it.

11. xChronox

xChronox Regular member

Ah.

I bookmarked the Tempest, but I don't think I'll ever have more than 2 DVD Drives and 3 Hard Drives, so I don't really need 50 BAYS OMG SO HUGE, I'm more about ventilation, fans (of course that comes with the space..) and a PSU in the bottom of the case rather than the top, like the Akasa Zen has ¬_¬.

I bookmarked all the options I have and when I'm ready to order the GPU I'll come back to it again, which is EXACTLY what I say every 3 months I make a thread on this forum.

I should stop doing this really, it's like a crack injection though.<3

PS : http://www.ebuyer.com/product/165238 , is this better than the Tempest?

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The NZXT Tempest isn't really any bigger than the RC690 really. It could even potentially be slightly smaller, but it's better designed, better built and more suitable for high end hardware than the RC-690 is.

The Storm Scout is in my mind a slightly worse version of the scout. It looks reasonable, costs a similar amount, but CM build quality is soso, and it's not as well cooled, neither does it come with almost any of the fans it fits whereas the Tempest I think comes with all of them.

13. xChronox

xChronox Regular member

Hmm..

So you're saying I should go with the Tempest, which is £80, or the CM690..Which is £60...

which is better ventilated? Sorry if you meant the 690 when you said CM, both the cases have CM in them :p

Edit :

Upon further inspection, the Tempest does look much nicer, it looks like it has more fans than the 690 as well.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

CM = Coolermaster, it meant both coolermaster cases. Really, if you want a full length DX11 card you should be buying the Tempest.

15. xChronox

xChronox Regular member

Ah sorry, I'm a bit slow/dumb today, I forgot the Storm Scout was made by CM for some reason :$.

Yeah, I'll go with the Tempest, it has lots of space, 6 fans and it looks really nice. 8 Slots for HDDs? Yes pls.

The lights and Fans shouldn't bear too much of a burden on my PSU though, right? And my GA-P35-DS3 mobo should fit nicely in it I think.

:p

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Even if you had 10 very high power fans (which NZXT's are not) you're unlikely to be using any more than 15W for the lot, even if they're all LED ones.

17. xChronox

xChronox Regular member

Haha, doesn't hurt to check though?

Thanks for all the help dude, whenever I have trouble with anything you always end up guiding me through it ;).

I'm going to have so much fun with it when I get it..Dirt 2 probably has some of the best graphics I've ever seen, Stalker with the patch should be really fun to play without jittering now too :p.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

STALKER's performance even on HD4 series cards versus the HD3 is worlds apart.

19. xChronox

xChronox Regular member

I already know that, but if you add the patch (Stalker Complete 2009) it ups the detail level and makes it look like Clear Sky, sometimes even more impressive, at a relatively small performance cost.

And you might remember me saying once, I'm a fussy gamer in that I can't 'truly' enjoy a game unless it is running at 60fps or more...

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ooh, thanks for telling, I might have a go at that...