1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Corsair 450w VX + HD5870 ?

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by xChronox, Sep 26, 2009.

1. xChronox

xChronox Regular member

np :). You can get it at Stalker.filefront or whatever the URL for the stalker filefront site is :p.

2. xChronox

xChronox Regular member

I just found this case http://www.ebuyer.com/product/169886

I'm trying to look for a good case that is just about big enough for the card and 3 Hard Drives, since I paid a tenner for the case I have now and I've had no problems with it I don't really want to pay oodles of money for a fancy case with six fans and 8 HDD bays that I'll never use.

If there are no alternatives though, then fine, I guess I'll just have to save a bit more :)

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well it's a similar sort of case, but very poorly made, and poorly cooled. If you don't need much cooling potential and are fine with cheap tacky plastic that can fall off, then there's no reason to buy an expensive case, but for that budget, it's either simple case or bad case.

4. xChronox

xChronox Regular member

Well the Akasa Zen is pretty tacky too, the plastic at the front collects dust and doesn't really do anything, it only holds ONE Hard Drive, unless you force it in there...But it still worked fine for me.

As long as the card and CPU both stay below 90', I'm fine. :)

I might just get the 690 Dominator and put a couple 120mm fans in.

a couple of these http://www.ebuyer.com/product/138586

It should be okay, if it isn't I guess I'll just have to buy a USB fridge, take the side of the case off and open the fridge there, also pay some people to blow on the graphics card.

:)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's primarily 140mm fans the RC-690 needs.

6. xChronox

xChronox Regular member

Ah, thought so.

No 140mm fans on ebuyer though.

Bah, I'll wait a couple of weeks for the case to come back in stock, if it doesn't I'll get some fans on scan or something.

Thanks.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not quite true:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/174221

I bought one of these for my HAF, but have since retired it as the bearing has got very noisy, after only a couple of months' use, they're not very high quality stuff (but then nothing from Sharkoon is)

8. xChronox

xChronox Regular member

I know, I saw them but I didn't bother getting them as I didn't see good feedback on them :p.

Scan has LOADS of them, but I can't be bothered to post 20 times for free shipping and I think they use C(SH)itylink

Edit -

Seeing as how popular the Tempest must be to sell out, I'm sure they'll restock soon :)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Mmm, indeed. The only downside to scan :S
    ebuyer will royal mail small items.

10. xChronox

xChronox Regular member

Ordered a HDD for my cousin, a couple keyboards and a case from ebuyer, came with free shipping from UPS, no problems whatsoever, fast shipping too.

They delivered the hard drive I got ages ago via royal mail I think too.

edit -

I remember seeing on your blog that you have an NZXT Lexa, how's that for ventilation? If the Tempest doesn't come back in stock I wouldn't mind getting one of the lexa's :p.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Nowhere near as good, it's a case for looks, not for cooling. Get a Tempest. Get it from Scan instead of Ebuyer.

12. xChronox

xChronox Regular member

Haha, thought so.

Well it's still early days, it would be good to get the case soon, so I can put everything together so I don't have to do it all when I get the graphics card (I'm a bit of a retard with assembling PCs, especially screwing the motherboard in...It can get fiddly.

But I'd rather wait until it comes back in stock than to go with Citylink, I can't deal with anymore incompetence, seriously.

Thanks for the help again though..It's nice to know what case is good for what rather than googling it and seeing "This case is really good, it is heavy and looks nice, end." :p

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You do realise ebuyer can still use citylink on occasions? It's not listed on their website but they can still use citylink for certain things, mainly returns (which is worse because that's more for them to get wrong). Unfortunately Scan have the attitude that "we won't change because all couriers get complaints, it won't make any difference" - whereas what the real reason is that they're the cheapest. A lot of shops that realised they were losing revenue due to citylink changed couriers, most notably ebuyer (UPS :( and Parcelforce :|), but also tekheads (interlink :D) and OcUK (apparently DPD, who I can't comment on) - still, buying from OcUK is still risky because the company itself is so incompetent.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

15. xChronox

xChronox Regular member

Wow, thanks for the info :).

UPS are fine for me really, and I've given citylink many many chances, to no avail. Maybe they've had training since then like eBuyer has said.

Thanks for the link! Bookmarked :D.

Should be an awesome rig once I get everything together.

I can't find any Red Faction Guerrilla Benchmarks for some reason.

Strange, or maybe I just don't know something :).

Thanks again.

ps : the Tempest really does look Kickass.

Seriously, the HDD rack is genius.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Red Faction Guerilla is a low-grade console port graphically, so it'll probably be quite demanding, and look pretty naff. You'll want some beefy graphics power to run it.

18. xChronox

xChronox Regular member

That's what the 5870's for :p, the only other game I was interested in was Modern Warfare 2, but I'd rather wait for the prices to fall and for it to come out, I'm not too keen on preordering :).

Thanks for the pics.

Looking at it in that perspective it really looks like a nice case. 6 fans, That's some beefy ventilation; and no cheap LED's, it all looks great.

This is what people have told me and I've began to understand, although it is quite a high price to pay for a case, it is pretty fundamental. It's made of STEEL, comes with Dust filters and high-grade fans and won't crap out 8 months in. I'll definitely have this case for ages and won't have to buy another one as it has 8 HDD slots, also I'm not sure if it's just me, but a case with the Power Supply at the bottom always looks roomier, doesn't it?

When I get the case (which I might just order with the graphics card from the link you gave me) I'll take some pics with everything all set up.

Do you think anyone will mind if I bump this thread in a month or two?

~Thanks again for all the help and advice, I have yet to stump you with a question :).

-Sam

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'll be honest, the Tempest does have some reasonably tacky blue LED styling that's not to everyone's taste, but it's reasonably restrained. You can always disconnect the blue power LEDs and replace the front fans with non-LED ones, unlike the Antec nine hundred, that's not a two hour job!
    There is no harm in bumping an old thread if you made it. What is frowned upon is:
    bumping a thread you made with no additional query if there's been no response
    bumping someone else's old thread for your own query

20. xChronox

xChronox Regular member

Ah, of course, but due to trolls and idiots forum rules have drastically changed (in some forums I post in) so I was just making sure :).

I think the Lights look good really. But whatever :p. 2 Hour job? Why? Are the cables/screws hidden or something?