1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SHarp LCD TV Problem

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by killercow, Sep 27, 2009.

1. killercow

killercow Guest

I have a Sharp 32" LCD Tv, and I have a problem. When I turn on the tv it has not picture but it has sound, and it also has a Grey vertical bar on the left side of the TV. Any Ideas on how to fix it, and what might be the problem and how much it would cost to fix it?

2. dailun

dailun Active member

Most likely the main logic board or LCD panel. Possibly the panel driver board if Sharp has designed that function off of the main logic board.

Parts are not available over the counter, so you will pay a premium for parts through a repair shop, possible $3-400 USD.

A replacement panel will exceed the cost of the TV.

If you have no experiencing fixing TVs (and you probably don't since you are asking this question), you should call a repair shop and get a quote. Neither of these is a "do-it-yourself" job.

It won't be a cheap repair.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  3. killercow

killercow Guest

Anyone know any good TV repair shops in SANTA ROSA CA?

4. keddy1

keddy1 Member

I believe thats the main disadvantage of lcd tvs.cost of repairing too much.no idea about a repair shop at santa rosa.sorry

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  5. dailun

dailun Active member

The cost is proportional to CRT TVs.

A flyback transformer on a CRT TV is probably 70% of the cost of the unit.

The difference is that CRTs are extremely reliable when compared to LCD panels.

For Santa Rosa, CA, there's not much choice. ML Bruner or Alpha. I haven't used either, and I would never take my TV to a big box store.

I would suggest that you find out who does the Sharp warranty repair in your area and they would have the most expertise.

6. dafoofoo

dafoofoo Member

I troubleshoot issues with LCD TV's for a living.
    The Vertical Bar is called a V-Band... It is possible that a ribbon cable called the (FFC) is loose or has detached itself from the X-board(PCB that is narrow and goes accross the top). But it is more often because of bonding issues from LCD to X-Board. That unfortunatly in most cases cannot be fixed, not even the manufacturer repairs multiple V-bands since it cost too much to repair themselves. They will repair if it's only 1 V-band.

Otherwise it can be the Control Board/or interface board.

Check to see if you see the lamps turn on(does black screen seem to light on when dark & stay on? if Yes then back light works.)... if Back light works then everything above applies. If it doesn't turn on then you may have two problems V-band and bad Inverter board, which are sold in pairs usually.

7. killercow

killercow Guest

thanks for the replies, the problem i had stopped for like 2 month since i last made this topic, but know it is back here is a screen shot so everyone knows what it looks like

[​IMG]
    There are colors because it is connected to my satellite receiver( the color is usually Grey)

The picture is sideways

yea so im going to go to a repair shop later to see how much it cost to get it fixed. Thanks for all the replies

8. dafoofoo

dafoofoo Member

That is not a V-Band... That could be an issue with the Control Board. It is a bunch of V-lines, very uncommon to have so many, all together like that.
    But this could be a good thing because, if it was only 1 or 2 V-lines, it most likely will not be repairable.

9. dafoofoo

dafoofoo Member

O'yea, your inverter board & power supply are working fine base on your photo.

10. killercow

killercow Guest

Yea it only has 1 line when i have my satellite receiver off