AfterDawn: Tech news

JVC intros 'cheap', thin Blu-ray player

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 28 Oct 2009 2:41 User comments (23)

JVC intros 'cheap', thin Blu-ray player

JVC has launched the XV-BP11 today, an "ultra-thin" 1.5-inch tall Blu-ray player aimed at the entry-level set.
The player is only Profile 1.1 capable however, killing off all BD-Live features. The player has a USB port for content viewing and will read AVCHD video.

The player uses HDMI 1.3 and has RCA Video and coaxial audio and analog audio connections.

For audio, the player supports "Dolby's Digital, Digital Plus and True HD standards as well as DTS, DTS Essential and DTS HD Master Audio," says Electronista.

The player has an MSRP of $200 USD, making it a bit too expensive given the BD-Live players out there for $150 and under.

Previous Next  

23 user comments

128.10.2009 15:21

There only really needs to be one Blu-Ray player (assuming BR movies need to be watched in the first place). Having all these different model's/brands of the same thing just saturates the market and creates loads of waste just to compete for market share. The same can be said about TV's, VCR's, etc.

228.10.2009 16:29

I know, so much variety, who benefits from it anyway?
Should also be only one kind car(assuming there is any real use for one to begin with), one kind of food( I'd go for Cayenne peppers), one kind of outfit(just like Star Trek crew!)...

Why not? So much to choose from, so hard to make decisions...I am having a hard time choosing from right hand or left hand most of the time:), when it gets to more than 2 choices, I am already panicking...

328.10.2009 17:30

Used PS3 as low as $230 + $20 for the remote if you can't deal with the controller.

How is this cheap?

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/byob/?platform=PS3

428.10.2009 17:35

I know, the titles says "cheap player", but then the end of the article says "a bit too expensive"! Contradictory...

628.10.2009 17:39

Quote:
There only really needs to be one Blu-Ray player (assuming BR movies need to be watched in the first place). Having all these different model's/brands of the same thing just saturates the market and creates loads of waste just to compete for market share. The same can be said about TV's, VCR's, etc.
That's the idea behind "planned economies"... Intellectually, it seems silly to walk into the grocery store and see 15 different brands of toilet paper to choose from. All of that wasted space, wasted fancy-packaging, and wasted advertising dollars... and the "evil" profit! (A lot of academics & intellectuals actually believe that.... Most businessmen,and most economists know it's wrong!)

Are we better off with one operating system and hardly any choice? I'm sure Microsoft would agree that there would be much less confusion without OS-X and Linux!

Experience teaches that when you throw human behavior into the mix, there are unexpected consequences. It turns-out that in the real world, the consumer is better-off (better prices and better quality) with all of this chaos and all these companies fighting with each other in the free market. If a company can't provide a good product at a good price, the company dies! In the free market, failure is just as important as success. If your restaurant serves bad food it should go out of business. When you don't have any competition, like with American public schools, you can get years and years of poor performance, and they never "go out of business.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 28 Oct 2009 @ 7:40

728.10.2009 17:57
atomicxl
Inactive

$200 isn't cheap when you can go on Amazon and get other brand name players for $120-$150 brand new.

828.10.2009 18:30

Originally posted by cyprusrom:
I know, the titles says "cheap player", but then the end of the article says "a bit too expensive"! Contradictory...
You are right, the 'cheap' should have been in quotes, and will be momentarily.

928.10.2009 19:50
fgamer
Inactive

Originally posted by slickwill:
This is the dumbest thing I've read in a while. I couldn't imagine there only being ONE particular anything. Competition is a GOOD THING, are you stupid or something? Think about this sentence you said.. " it saturates the market and creates loads of waste just to COMPETE for market share"! That's the point, they are competing, therefore we the consumers get lower prices. The more companies in the market the better. Some brands will be willing to drop the prices over competitors just to gain market share.

1028.10.2009 20:51

Quote:
Originally posted by slickwill:
This is the dumbest thing I've read in a while. I couldn't imagine there only being ONE particular anything. Competition is a GOOD THING, are you stupid or something? Think about this sentence you said.. " it saturates the market and creates loads of waste just to COMPETE for market share"! That's the point, they are competing, therefore we the consumers get lower prices. The more companies in the market the better. Some brands will be willing to drop the prices over competitors just to gain market share.
I completely agree. Can anyone say Laissez-faire? It is a good thing!

1129.10.2009 02:23

the reason we are in a financial slump and high jobless rates is simple, there are too many imported goods 5x cheaper than that of what the American people can ever offer.

Market Saturation double edge that no one likes to acknowledge.

unless robbery is to becomes a new career, More American goods equals more American jobs which in turn means Happier banks.

as they say Only in America can a government be run by monkeys in suits.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 29 Oct 2009 @ 2:39

1229.10.2009 04:29

Might just be me, but i consider:

Cheap == Will break soon.
Inexpensive == Doesn't cost much.

So considering it says 'cheap' (wink, wink... nod, nod....), i might suggest just get read to throw this away soon to purchase something else. Or better yet, skip this and get what you would after needing to replace a 'cheap' player.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 29 Oct 2009 @ 4:31

1329.10.2009 06:33

Competition is the heart of capitalism. If it were not for competition, we would all be driving the Ford Model T, listening to phonographs, and using rotary phones. DVD wouldn't even be on the horizon, let alone bluray.

1429.10.2009 15:03

Quote:
the reason we are in a financial slump and high jobless rates is simple, there are too many imported goods 5x cheaper than that of what the American people can ever offer.
Might it be that the reason imported goods are 5x cheaper is that those other countries don't play fair?
Slave wages, defensive import taxes on our goods, artifically inflated currencies, gross polluting and no environmental or safety standards...

What if the US played by the same rules? What if our products were built by people making enough money to buy a bowl of rice a day, we taxed imports to match our costs, we systematically control the value of our dollar for our benifit, we spew any and everything without regaurd into our air and water and we laugh off accidents and death rates that are absurd... you think we could compete then?

Choice is good and a world wide economy will, in the long run be good... but the global economy is hardly a fair marketplace at this point.

1529.10.2009 18:31
fgamer
Inactive

Originally posted by DXR88:

unless robbery is to becomes a new career, More American goods equals more American jobs which in turn means Happier banks.

I agree with you on the part about this country being ran by monkeys in suits, I prefer to call them rednecks who really have no better knowledge than how to run a Ice-Cream stand. Then when you actually have a FEW sensible people in office you got these same quacks that's been there for years trying to stifle change (may be minimum change, but it's better than nothing). This country has been ran into the ground way to much for it to actually be taken seriously.

1629.10.2009 18:52

Quote:
Originally posted by DXR88:

I agree with you on the part about this country being ran by monkeys in suits, I prefer to call them rednecks who really have no better knowledge than how to run a Ice-Cream stand. Then when you actually have a FEW sensible people in office you got these same quacks that's been there for years trying to stifle change (may be minimum change, but it's better than nothing). This country has been ran into the ground way to much for it to actually be taken seriously.
What drives me crazy is the idea of "cheap" as in this player for $200. Talk about corporate fleecing!

I think about how each of these companies tries to make a penny bleed, how minimum wage is barely enough to get a gallon of gas and a 12 pack of Pepsi, and that's what is really wrong with this country. I know my parents used to make $20+ an hour back in the EIGHTIES, when gas was 70 cents a gallon or so, and a quarter could get you a bottle of soda from the machine.

Fast forward to present day and there aren't many jobs paying $20+ an hour and you can't even make a phone call or buy a newspaper for a quarter. Actually, what can you get for a quarter?

1730.10.2009 01:41

Quote:
Actually, what can you get for a quarter?
One gum ball.

1830.10.2009 12:08
emugamer
Inactive

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/10/30/blue.jeans.mill/index.html

I was reading it and thought of what ThePastor had written.

1931.10.2009 16:58

As the article states this would not be a bad starter player for the consumer to learn the basics about the blu-ray players. I wouldn't mind purchasing this.

2031.10.2009 17:14

Originally posted by borhan9:
As the article states this would not be a bad starter player for the consumer to learn the basics about the blu-ray players. I wouldn't mind purchasing this.
Still there are less expensive players with more features then this one? And if a "stater" to lean, why not spend a little more time researching the one you would get after the "starter".

211.11.2009 10:43
LissenUp
Inactive

Should also be only one kind car(assuming there is any real use for one to begin with), one kind of food( I'd go for Cayenne peppers), one kind of outfit(just like Star Trek crew!)...

Why not? So much to choose from, so hard to make decisions...I am having a hard time choosing from right hand or left hand most of the time:), when it gets to more than 2 choices, I am already panicking...
Man I so want to just say something degrading and mean about your comment but won't because I don't wanna get banned again but damn! Your comment is befuddling.

"Who benefits from it anyway?"

WE DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Competition promotes lower pricing and ongoing integrity checks to the manufacturers. No competition means the manufacturers can charge whatever they want and produce crappy product.

Think before typing.

221.11.2009 10:48
LissenUp
Inactive

Ummm........"Cheap Player" is the not the title of the article by itself pal. It's how JVC is marketing it and what THEY consider their player so the article is NOT contradictory.

................But now I see AD forgot the quotes..............Understandable
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 01 Nov 2009 @ 10:51

233.11.2009 05:23

Quote:

Man I so want to just say something degrading and mean about your comment but won't because I don't wanna get banned again but damn! Your comment is befuddling.

"Who benefits from it anyway?"

WE DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Competition promotes lower pricing and ongoing integrity checks to the manufacturers. No competition means the manufacturers can charge whatever they want and produce crappy product.

Think before typing.
LissenUp, that looks like sarcasm from cyprusrom to me. Did you miss that somehow? It's blatantly obvious to me.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 03 Nov 2009 @ 5:24

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive