AfterDawn: Tech news

Lexicon rips off Oppo Blu-ray player

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 16 Jan 2010 2:35 User comments (19)

Lexicon rips off Oppo Blu-ray player It was reported this week that high-end Blu-ray player maker Lexicon, which sells its BD-30 for $3500, had simply just taken a $500 Oppo BDP-83 and placed it into a new case, without making any modifications to the original internals. Worst of all, the new player had THX Certification, but some research proved that to be false. Rather then go through all the audioholics' review, I will post a link to it, here:
"It's an Oppo BDP-83. Normally we'd launch into a statement like this with more tact. We may, for example, wax eloquent about the Lexicon BD-30's beautiful chassis or it's billet aluminum front face. We could tell you about the heft of the unit, or the fact that comes double boxed with enough padding to warrant throwing it off the FedEx or UPS truck while it's still moving. While all of that is true, the Lexicon BD-30 is still an Oppo BDP-83 Blu-ray Player. And what's more, it's not just using the same parts - they actually stuck the player inside - chassis and all. This would be OK, were it not for the $3000 premium over the Oppo and THX certification. As Sherlock Holmes would say: The game is afoot!"

See the rest of the interesting report here: Audioholics- Oppo on the Inside, Lexicon on the Outside

Previous Next  

19 user comments

116.1.2010 15:23

Now replace "Lexicon" with any brand name manufacturer....

216.1.2010 17:50

Lexicon :)

316.1.2010 18:16
LissenUp
Inactive

and anyone that buys a 1000 dollar BD player much less a 3000 one is a shmuck and should have all decision making privileges taken away............PERIOD.

So many bad decision makers out there and Lexicon is one of them.

416.1.2010 18:40

Originally posted by LissenUp:
and anyone that buys a 1000 dollar BD player much less a 3000 one is a shmuck and should have all decision making privileges taken away............PERIOD.

I would have to totally agree with that. If you intend to buy a $3000 player, you think you'd first compare with similar items... and if you find something that's at least 6X cheaper and with similar features,Or if for the same price you could get something with 100X features, then it becomes a nobrainer...

516.1.2010 18:43

Quote:
Originally posted by LissenUp:

I would have to totally agree with that. If you intend to buy a $3000 player, you think you'd first compare with similar items... and if you find something that's at least 6X cheaper and with similar features,Or if for the same price you could get something with 100X features, then it becomes a nobrainer...
Its not about the money...or the features....its the brand dear, the brand.

How else has apple gotten anywhere!

:P

616.1.2010 19:28

Yeah, I understand what you're saying, the brand and whatnot...What I am saying is, someone must've been dropped on his head when born, if would buy a player for over $3000, when something at way below half price can do the same thing and maybe twice more...I don't care what brand is, unless Jesus himself put the logo on it ...

716.1.2010 19:33

Originally posted by cyprusrom:
Yeah, I understand what you're saying, the brand and whatnot...What I am saying is, someone must've been dropped on his head when born, if would buy a player for over $3000, when something at way below half price can do the same thing and maybe twice more...I don't care what brand is, unless Jesus himself put the logo on it ...

Don't forget dear the uber rich did not earn their money...they inherited it.

816.1.2010 19:37

Quote:
Originally posted by cyprusrom:

...indeed, and most times comes with a full baggage(stupidity, snobbery...)

916.1.2010 21:45

Quote:

Wow, what was that? In fact, less than 21% of wealthy Americans and 32% of Europeans are rich due to inheritance. Don't know what you're talking about...

(if needed) http://www.capgemini.com/services-and-so...ldwealthreport/

But either way, anyone paying $3K for this unit is properly separated from his/her money, for sure.

1016.1.2010 21:58

Quote:
Quote:

Wow, what was that? In fact, less than 21% of wealthy Americans and 32% of Europeans are rich due to inheritance. Don't know what you're talking about...

But either way, anyone paying $3K for this unit is properly separated from his/her money, for sure.
Well those milloiners who are not self made in the last couple of decades, I was begin sarcastic ya know :P

1118.1.2010 22:07
llongtheD
Inactive

Come on guys, the dumb a$$es get a billet aluminum front face for their player, thats got to be worth $3000 right?

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 18 Jan 2010 @ 10:11

1219.1.2010 04:07

I'll have to pass. Don't get me wrong. It works fine with my $70,000 plasma TV, but the aluminum doesn't match my $55,000 remote.

1322.1.2010 06:36

ROFL!!!!

1423.1.2010 12:16

Perhaps if you weren't so resentfull and factually inaccurate on the source of wealth, you might learn that the word is spelled "millionaire." I feel very fortunate that I have educated myself, worked hard, saved my money and invested regulary to qualify for that "title." My wealth was based on my labor, not manipulating other people's money. Perhaps your "success" is coloring your ignorance of the facts.

1523.1.2010 12:56

Originally posted by BMWPC:
Perhaps if you weren't so resentfull and factually inaccurate on the source of wealth, you might learn that the word is spelled "millionaire." I feel very fortunate that I have educated myself, worked hard, saved my money and invested regulary to qualify for that "title." My wealth was based on my labor, not manipulating other people's money. Perhaps your "success" is coloring your ignorance of the facts.

Rich mans righteous indignation this is why the US will fall. :P

Also
Sarcasm and humor, uuu no hazzzz themz......poor uuuu *hugy*

1623.1.2010 13:10

Quote:

Also

LOL, a hug and a cookie always helps...!!!!

1723.1.2010 14:47

Quote:
Quote:

Also

LOL, a hug and a cookie always helps...!!!!
People need more hugs and cookies it helps with humanities anal retention issues!

1825.1.2010 04:07

Quote:
Quote:

Your figures may be right but these THESE are the idiots targeted by companies like Lexicon. In my opinion any one paying even US$ 500/= for the player is stupid. Might as well get the PlayStation, get more functionality and save money on top.

In fact I am planning to do exactly that on my next US trip.

1925.1.2010 22:39

Blue ray ... I reallt like this version of Vedio Display .. :)

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
7 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive