1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Core i7 950 better or Core i7 860 better?

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by Jinkazuya, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Jinkazuya

Jinkazuya Regular member

I know this won't be good to open a separate thread but this is for discussion about CPU between the only two months' gap. The i7 860 was released on Sep 08...And then the i7 950 is released on June or July 28.

For i7 920, which was released in the end of 2008, might be using the 2008 tech, but since i7 950, released in mid of 2009, might be using the same tech as i7 860, this is just what I think.

So the finally conclusion comes to which one is a good buy regardless of the bang for buck? If i7 950 could be overlocked much better and easier than i7 860...I would go for 950. But if it is just a very slight improvement, I will stick with 860.

2. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

There both utilizing new technology to some extent. The 950 is essentially the same chip as the 920 just higher clock speed. Same for the i7 800 series. All same chips just different clock speeds. The core difference is the 800 series has the memory controller built in to the chip where as the 900 series has the memory chip built in to the mobo.

Im not sure on OC speeds but I doubt there far apart. Regardless of bang for buck I believe the 950 is the faster.

3. Jinkazuya

Jinkazuya Regular member

So overall, regarding the performance, which one outperform the counterpart?

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

950 is slightly faster, but more expensive.
    In general, the i7 860 is a much better value CPU. Only if you need the advantages of the LGA1366 platform (triple channel memory and 32x PCI express bandwidth) would I ever recommend the 950.

5. Jinkazuya

Jinkazuya Regular member

The reason buying the i7 950 is for future proof, because it is said or rumored that the hex core is compatible with the socket 1336, and also, one of the guys said, the i7 900 series can be overclocked to 4.4ghz.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The i7s on LGA1156 will overclock just as well as the CPUs on 1366. You will not be able to upgrade to a 6-core CPU on LGA1156, but there won't be a great deal of point upgrading so soon. By the time the i7 will be insufficient and you'll want to upgrade, there will be something much better than the early 6-core CPUs out there, I guarantee it.

7. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

I agree with Sam, however, I will add,because I have a feeling you wont head the advice given, if your interested in the Core i9 I would just wait to build period unless you really have the money to spare. If you buy an i7, any model, now your only going to resell it used for a portion of the cost, and then invest even more money then you would to simply wait for the Core i9.

8. Jinkazuya

Jinkazuya Regular member

Would you please tell me what you mean by building period Xplorer 4? What is the so big difference about the express lane x32 and triple channel Memory? I could spend about $2500...But I just wanna be a smart buyer and builder and use my money wisely.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Xplorer: I think it's time to calm down a bit. People are often set on a particular pattern so they take a bit of persuading. Just because you didn't convince them the first time around doesn't mean they will never listen to you.
    Jinka: What he means is that he suggests if you're desperate for the i9, don't build a PC at all yet, wait for the i9 to come out. I disagree, since the first CPU for the i9s will only be a $1000 extreme edition, so not appropriate. If you must have the i9, build an LGA1366 platform, but LGA1156 will be plenty for most people.

10. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

I understand that, but theres a pattern forming with this guy based on the other thread. Its not the first, more like the 5th time. If it was merely the first I wouldnt have said that.

While you got the idea right, Im not saying an i7(860 or 920 for that matter) wont be sufficient by any means. Thanks to you I am running the 860 so I can easily validate your statement. I agree completely the 860 would be fine, but it seemed a bit of waste of money to buy now and upgrade so soon. If the i9 release date was 3-4 years down the road and was able to utilize 1366, I would agree, build now upgrade later. Im simply saying if hes spending that much money, surely thats a dent in the pocket, and if its not then the $1,000 asking price of an i9 may be rather mute.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The i9 isn't going to be a vast upgrade, and it's going to be extreme-edition only for the first short period anyway, so it will be a long wait if he waits to build an i9 system from scratch. Building an LGA1366 system now instead of LGA1156 will gain almost nothing for all the extra cost until that point arrives.