AfterDawn: Tech news

Twitter to use BitTorrent for backend

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 11 Feb 2010 3:43 User comments (14)

Twitter to use BitTorrent for backend

According to a new blog post, Twitter is set to begin using BitTorrent on the backend as a way to more efficiently deploy files.
Reads the post:

Anyone who has the battle scars that come from managing a large operational set of computers, like a large popular web site, knows all too well the challenge of deploying a new image site-wide. Often times, this needs to happen fast (think emergency patch) and as with so many other applications on the network, the traditional client-server model breaks down at scale in the face of this challenge.

But now there is an interesting open source project from Twitter that might bring some relief to this particular problem. The project uses BitTorrent technology and is called Murder (per the project page, a “murder” allegedly describes a flock of crows, not some lesser crime than the accusations too-often leveled against the hard-working engineers at BitTorrent, Inc). The distributed nature of BitTorrent means an operation that once took many dozens of minutes, now happens in less than a dozen seconds. These efficiencies will reduce maintenance windows, site downtime and exposure to security vulnerabilities.

The folks at Twitter will be disclosing more about the project and the performance of this solution in the coming weeks. We are thrilled to collaborate with them on this and hope that more Web Monsters out there look to this and other applications of BitTorrent in solving some of the hard problems of the Internet.

View "Murder" here: http://github.com/lg/murder

Previous Next  

14 user comments

111.2.2010 09:23

Hahahaha they said "Murder"

211.2.2010 12:39

i dunno how this will effect twitter users with all the isp trying to block bitorrent traffic maybe this is a win win for even people who hate twitter like me :D

311.2.2010 21:13

Why do you "hate" Twitter? I just thought you used a strong word there so I wanted to ask. Personally, I have little use for it, but I don't hate or dislike it. I just wonder why it exists when Facebook statuses already exists.

Shorter downtimes are a plus :)

412.2.2010 15:34
LissenUp
Inactive

Originally posted by KSib:
Why do you "hate" Twitter? I just thought you used a strong word there so I wanted to ask. Personally, I have little use for it, but I don't hate or dislike it. I just wonder why it exists when Facebook statuses already exists.

Shorter downtimes are a plus :)
Oh SHOOOOOOOSH!

Twitter is hateworthy. People should not be given a tool to voice their random meritless opinions or thoughts on a minute by minute basis. Stupidity is rampant in this world as is (except for myself), seeing it (reading it) first hand via Twitter is depressing. It's a brain killing website that promotes complacency, anti-free-thinking and complaining about issues that don't have an impact.

I'd better not hear another defensive peep from you about Twitter or ignorance and lack of free, rational thought will shine through like the sun through a church.

512.2.2010 16:00

You really need to calm down. I'd hate to see how you'd react to a real problem... I'm not defending Twitter, I was just ASKING why you said you hated it. Comments like "I'd better not hear another defensive peep [...]" are more obnoxious than most tweets I've seen. Some organizations use it to post server status, job postings, and other legitimate updates. Others use it for asinine things such as what they're doing in the bathroom. I grant you that there is probably a lot more of the asinine stuff, but this isn't like the first time people have been able to say whatever on the Internet and have their comment be viewed by thousands or millions of people. It's not like because of Twitter all of the stupid people in the world can say whatever they want. That power has been around for quite some time.

All I'm saying is if you're getting that bent out of shape over Twitter, I don't know how you survive on the Internet without getting a migraine. YouTube comments are much worse than tweets =/ Either you can stay bent out of shape about it or get used it to it. It's called the Internet and it's here to stay. No one is making you read tweets so stop reading them and calm that rage down.

612.2.2010 17:32

I hate twitter, the only people I know who use it have way too much time on their hands or are concerned about celebrity gossip more than important things in life. My boss is sent an email out a couple weeks ago saying he wants all of his tech staff to use twitter as a means of staying in touch. I replied to all stating that I politely refuse to use twitter in my personal or professional life and I have a cell phone that has email, text, web, and IM capability and I fail to see how this would make me more accessible or in touch. Shortly after everybody but two people responded the same way. He then brought it up in a meeting and said he did not understand why we did not want to use twitter because he finds it a useful way to keep up with things like updates on his sports teams. I think that just proved my point.

712.2.2010 18:26

Weird that your boss wants you to use Twitter over email or texting =/ Yuck. Especially if what you have to say doesn't fit in the small amount of room they give you.

812.2.2010 18:31

Weird that your boss wants you to use Twitter over email or texting =/ Yuck. Especially if what you have to say doesn't fit in the small amount of room they give you.
Well if you met my boss you would understand. He is an ex-science teacher (no offense meant to teachers in general) and while he thinks he knows technology he doesn't. He gets distracted by new shiny things and likes to find things he likes in his personal life to keep up with his social agenda and try to use them in work. He is known for spontaneously buying something and then putting it in my lap and saying "Find a use for this and make it work" instead of taking a need and finding the right technology to fulfill that need. Thank goodness he retires in about 16 months. I work in education IT and he has been a big drain on the department and to be honest is hated by most of the teachers and is a laughing stock of our surrounding schools. I honestly do not know why the keep him around.

But while I think twitter is useless if someone finds it useful for them I guess that is cool. I guess I have more important things to do than to fill my day with status updates and if I need to send a quick message to someone I have plenty of ways to do that without subscribing to some stupid service.

912.2.2010 18:53

Originally posted by bobiroc:
I hate twitter, the only people I know who use it have way too much time on their hands or are concerned about celebrity gossip more than important things in life. My boss is sent an email out a couple weeks ago saying he wants all of his tech staff to use twitter as a means of staying in touch. I replied to all stating that I politely refuse to use twitter in my personal or professional life and I have a cell phone that has email, text, web, and IM capability and I fail to see how this would make me more accessible or in touch. Shortly after everybody but two people responded the same way. He then brought it up in a meeting and said he did not understand why we did not want to use twitter because he finds it a useful way to keep up with things like updates on his sports teams. I think that just proved my point.
Good for you. Social networking (in my opinion) is pointless, i don't care about pointless, shallow celebrities nor people that want every minute of their life up for public consumption. However at least you gave a list of reasons why you wouldn't use it. Just because social networking is the current fad doesn't mean we all have to buy into it like the brainwashed herd buys into sports and everything else. I'm sure social networking sites do have the odd legitimate use but i'll wager it's a tiny percentage of what it's used for.
Even my gmail has an irritating new 'Buzz' icon. I don't care nor will i be buzzing. It's all just the latest way to further dumb down the masses, if only more people would break free of the 'koolaid' mentality and stop buying into this drivel. I use a phone to call & text, i use games consoles to play games on, i use computers to perform tasks, surf on and the odd chat via IM and IRCprograms - but note how there's no social networking mentioned anywhere there; i do spend an unhealthy amount of time on forums which is sad, i know, but i'm a techie, i am already sad. What i won't do is insult my intelligence or waste valuable minutes of my life on pointless networking sites.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 12 Feb 2010 @ 7:10

1012.2.2010 19:08

Indeed. I'm surprised I haven't heard Facebook come up in this conversation though. That I did use a fair amount in college to easily stay in contact with people I met and to get and talk about assignments I had. I'll agree with you about the Google buzz, it feels like another useless tool (and they just keep coming...) See what I commented on at YouTube! :/

1112.2.2010 19:27
LissenUp
Inactive

You really need to calm down. I'd hate to see how you'd react to a real problem... I'm not defending Twitter, I was just ASKING why you said you hated it. Comments like "I'd better not hear another defensive peep [...]" are more obnoxious than most tweets I've seen. Some organizations use it to post server status, job postings, and other legitimate updates. Others use it for asinine things such as what they're doing in the bathroom. I grant you that there is probably a lot more of the asinine stuff, but this isn't like the first time people have been able to say whatever on the Internet and have their comment be viewed by thousands or millions of people. It's not like because of Twitter all of the stupid people in the world can say whatever they want. That power has been around for quite some time.

All I'm saying is if you're getting that bent out of shape over Twitter, I don't know how you survive on the Internet without getting a migraine. YouTube comments are much worse than tweets =/ Either you can stay bent out of shape about it or get used it to it. It's called the Internet and it's here to stay. No one is making you read tweets so stop reading them and calm that rage down.
I'm not in a hissy. Just passionate and steadfast about my resolve. I don't get migraines and my computer is connected to my 52" tv so I'm using it ALL THE TIME.

Here's my thought: I don't like Twitter and I don't trust people who rely or use Twitter. They aren't good decision makers and frankly, they're flaky as Hell. I can't help but picture Peg from Married With Children using Twitter 24/7 if that show were still in production.

It promotes complacency, ignorance and rampant voicing of pointless opinions falling on deaf ears.

1212.2.2010 20:08

Ah okay. Sorry, I assumed you were in a hissy. That's a big screen. I'd sure have a headache if I played TF2 on that :o

1319.2.2010 15:26

I think some people did not clearly read,
they said they are using it on the "back end"
that means you won't see it.

Nor would ISPs interfere with the ability
to use Twitter.

Some people might not know what "back end"
means, they should immediately look it up
in a computer glossary.

1423.2.2010 21:52

Twitter don't kill brain cells, Tweeters do...

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
2 user comments
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive