1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Realtek AC97 Audio latest drivers, where to find them?

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by Huskie, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Huskie

Huskie Member

First of all, forgive me if this is the wrong forum to post this, I didn't find any driver specific forums.

My problem is the following: I have just installed the new Aliens Vs Predator game, and found that the sound during cutscenes and intros gets very stuttery. From past experience I guess this is due to outdated audio drivers, but searching the internet for a newer version didn't help. As stated in the title my sound card is the Realtek AC97 Audio, with the driver name being ALCXWDM.sys. DxDiag shows the version as being 5.10.0000.6300 (English), and I can't seem to find any more recent versions out there (this one being from 24/09/2008). I heard the motherboard might be a factor in this, so just for good measure, it's an A8N-SLI Deluxe.

Can anybody know if there's a more recent version of this driver out there? And if so, where can i get it from?

Also, I heard there's a setting in windows' sound that allows you to change the frequency of the sound. It seems switching it from 96khz to 48khz might help, although I have looked around in the audio properties and settings and found no such settings. My OS is Windows XP.

Any help on any of the above is greatly appreciated.

2. gurnard

gurnard Regular member

3. Huskie

Huskie Member

Thanks a lot gurnard.

By the way, I had another driver issue, this time about video one, which I posted on the "Other PC Hardware" forum, although I guess this is the right forum to ask about drivers after all, so it didn't get any replies over there.

Here's the link and transcript of the message, would appreciate it a lot if you or anybody else could lend me a hand on this one, too. :)

http://forums.afterdawn.com/message_reply.cfm?thread_id=837142&forum_id=111

4. gurnard

gurnard Regular member

hi :)
    i've just looked up the spec on your mb...cpu and ram
    your asking a lot of your pc (getting a bit old)
    to take advantage of your card to try and play the newer games out now adays (bearing in mind i don't play or know much about gaming) i would think that you would need at least a single core 3200
    Mhz. 1 GIG DDR2 800 Mhz ram or
    2500 Mhz dual core DDR2 800 Mhz ram
    sounds hard i know...but i wouldn't waste anymore money on graphics cards etc. until you've upgraded your system
    i don't know whether you are in the states or the uk. here in the uk a budget mb...cpu...ram to run with your card would cost less than £150