1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to shrink a blue ray disc

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by cmpsr, Mar 15, 2010.

1. cmpsr

cmpsr Member

Is there a way to shrink a blue ray file . Some of the movies I am trying to back up are 27 to 35 Gigabites. I would like to make them fit a 25 gigabite disk. Clone2dvd works for dvd files. Is there a program for blue ray files. is there a guide for blue ray back ups and shrinage. The blue ray files are very different from dvd files. I woule appreciate any help.

Thanks
    I have windows 7, anydvdhd, nero 9, dvdfab 6 , roxio 20010 pro and
    Image burn

2. eric545

eric545 Regular member

There is only one problem that I have found when using DVDFab 7 to shrink a blu-ray movie down small enough to fit on a 25gb single layer blu-ray blank and that is. DVDFab 7 does a fine job of shrinking so that the movie will fit on a 25GB blank. Having said that read on:

When I owned an older Sony Blu-ray player a BDP-S300 shrunk movies would play just fine on it. However; now that I have traded up to a Sony BDP-S560 movies that I used DVDFab 6 or 7 to shrink will not play in the BDP-S560. I get a message something like, unable to play this disk.

What I do now is rip blu-ray disc's using AnyDVD (HD) to an .iso file which saves everything on the disc. I then use the CyberLink BD Suite that came with my Plextor PX-B940SA to burn the .iso file to disc. This however; means that if a blu-ray contains more than 25GB's of Data then I have no choice but to use a 50GB blank. There are still plenty of movies out there that the complete movie will fit on a 25GB blank however; there are also many movies that I have to burn to a 50GB blank.

I only use: TDK Blu-ray Disc 50GB 4X BD-R - Printable [Japanese Import] and
    TDK Blu-ray Disc 20 Count Spindle - 25GB 4X BD-R - Printable [Japanese Import].

The 25GB disc's run about $5.00 each and the 50GB disc's run around $10.00 each.

PS: Although my Plextor PX-B940SA is rated to burn up to 12X, I only burn at 2X. That is half the rated burn speed for the blanks. Eventually when 6X or 8X blanks are available from TDK then I will increase the burn speed.

I have burned more than 200 blu-rays, and haven't had a coaster yet.

Eric

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  3. neronut

neronut Regular member

I have heard of a program called BD Rebuilder that can rebuild the structure of a BD and shrink it. I think this should help, as I haven't used it myself I'm not 100% sure.

4. Mozilfox

Mozilfox Member

BD Rebuilder is one way to go. The problem with it is that it needs other software to complete the process and it takes a longer time to do so. Also, not as intuitive and remains in beta category. It is however, free and that makes it super although it is a work in progress. That said, I prefer using DVDFab blu-ray to blu-ray. It is one program that I have found that can shrink a 50 GB BD disc down to fit on a single layer 25 GB BD disc. I have not experienced the problem that erik545 has run into. Maybe some media, as well as players, and burners can react differently with one another. Not sure as these are a more complex media than standard DVD format is. DvdFab Blu-ray to Blu-ray is not free either. I am sure that BD Rebuilder will eventually be a fine product in the future when some bugs are worked out. I also use Any Dvd HD to rip the file first. I use Sony BD-RE 25 GB media and a Pioneer 12x BDR 205 also burning at a slow speed - 2x's No Coasters yet.

5. seanymac

seanymac Member

How long does DVDfab BR to BR take to shrink a movie?

6. Mozilfox

Mozilfox Member

A lot depends on the size among other variables. Some Blu-Rays are 27 GB and can be processed in 45 minutes or less. Some are 45 to 48 GB and could take over 2 hours to compress and fit on a 25 GB disc. The computer you use depending on its processor etc. will impact the time that it takes to complete as well.

7. neronut

neronut Regular member

I think DVDFab can use GPU acceleration for H.264 with CUDA if you have an nVidia card that supports it. Don't quote me on this though.

8. mickfitch

mickfitch Member

Unable to get DVDShrink 3.2 to burn with Nero 9 just asks me to install Nero. Any ideas please.
    Mick

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  9. RocKKer_A

RocKKer_A Member

I use BR-Rebuilder.

There are 4 programs (including BR-Rebuilder) to DL and install. But that is easy and all are available on the BR-Rebuilder forum. Once installed it is very versatile and you can encode based on the required output size (5GB - 25GB) or almost any custom size you want.

It is beta, so there is some risk, but only in that it won't re-encode your BRD and for myself it has been flawless. ie: it ALWAYS runs to completion and the end result has always been outstanding!

It can take awhile to complete an encode, it will utilize all the CPU's you have (100%), but this is the same with any encoder, more CPU's = faster encode. Currently my Q9400 & W7 takes ~5.5 hours to re-encode a 32GB to a smaller size and the PQ is excellant, for storing on BRD make the target size 25GB.

Just like alot of other encoder programs (meGUI, Handbrake, etc.), this is a frontend to other tools underneath (FFDSHOW, Matroska Splitter, AVISYNTH, x264, etc.) that actually do the encoding process. BR-Rebuilder does all the hard work of selecting encoder options and makes it very easy to burn a "movie only", change your output size, run priority, input file, output file, etc. it will also make an iso file and use imgburn (free) to burn the BRD.

For me, when it is out of beta (and not free) I will purchase a license.

10. maginoo

maginoo Member

hi Mick
    go to oldversion.com download nero66018 n u r good 2go. be sure to type in your serial number hope it helps.