AfterDawn: Tech news

Sony kills off Linux option for PS3 owners

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 29 Mar 2010 1:37 User comments (48)

Sony kills off Linux option for PS3 owners Starting on April 1st, with the PlayStation 3 firmware update v3.21, Sony will kill off the "Other OS" feature which had given "fat" PS3 owners the ability to install Linux on a second partition.
Patrick Seybold, Sr. Director, Corporate Communications & Social Media says the move was made "due to security concerns."

Seybold says the update is optional but if users choose not to update they will lose:

* Ability to sign in to PlayStation Network and use network features that require signing in to PlayStation Network, such as online features of PS3 games and chat
* Playback of PS3 software titles or Blu-ray Disc videos that require PS3 system software version 3.21 or later
* Playback of copyright-protected videos that are stored on a media server (when DTCP-IP is enabled under Settings)
* Use of new features and improvements that are available on PS3 system software 3.21 or later

That means the update is pretty much required more than "optional."

Previous Next  

48 user comments

129.3.2010 13:56

I am not going to update till I absolutely have to.

229.3.2010 15:07

Did anyone else find it strange that the given release date for this update is April 1? I'm really riding on this being an April fools joke...

329.3.2010 15:07

as this was one of the original selling points surely this is illegal

429.3.2010 15:10

If you play online thats guna mean the day this "optinal" update is released.

529.3.2010 15:13

Originally posted by rvinkebob:
Did anyone else find it strange that the given release date for this update is April 1? I'm really riding on this being an April fools joke...
I hope so or i'll go buy something else, was planning on purchasing one of the older units for Linux itself.

629.3.2010 16:09

Sony, If they really wanted it to be optional should have released two firmware versions. One for the new handicapped PS3s and one for the the old real PS3s.

729.3.2010 16:12

Meh just don't do the update, that's all, it'll still play games, it will still work otherwise. I don't see what the issue is.

829.3.2010 16:28

Quote:
Mysttic

Meh just don't do the update, that's all, it'll still play games, it will still work otherwise. I don't see what the issue is.

you cant play online ,you cant access the playstation store or any of the newer games that will require that firmware or above id say thats a pretty big deal

929.3.2010 16:49

I think the security breach is from trying to mod this system.

1029.3.2010 16:58

Definitely not updating if this is true... At least until a hack is released :)

1129.3.2010 18:21

ive just read geohotz blog and hes working on a patch and says dont update . he also hinted at a possible cfw -lets hope

1230.3.2010 01:24

"due to security concerns." sounds like "We don't want to admit the PS3 is inching ever closer to homebrew.".

It probably is a bit overkill but one could also buy two PS3's, a Fat due to the ever-closer realm of homebrew, and a Slim that you can update without fear of loosing much on the homebrew front since it can't use Linux anyway.

1330.3.2010 04:12

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/29/geoho...afe-way-around/

Geohot advises against updating PS3, will find safe way around.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 30 Mar 2010 @ 4:12

1430.3.2010 06:07

Eeek, best get me a working PS3 fast before they become stupidily priced like JTAGGABLE xboxes.

1530.3.2010 06:13

F**KING SONY! I paid $200 more for my PS3 than the versions that don't support linux...if they are taking that away from me, then I should be getting a $200 check from them!

At $200 per system, and millions sold, I think we are going to see a big class-action lawsuit on this one.

I guess I won't buy any more blu-ray movies...it is only a matter of time before they decide that those are a potential security risk as well (the netflix disk)

1630.3.2010 07:09

I want to make up a form letter to send out to every scum-sucking, bottom feeding snake lawyer we can find...how does this sound for a start:

Sony has announced that as of April 1, 2010 they will be removing the "Other OS" feature from their PS3 video game system. This was one of the major selling points of this platform, and there are many users (including myself) for whom this was the selling point that made the sale.

There were already versions of the system that did not have this feature, one version with 120GB for $300, and another version with 250GB for $350. The versions of the systems with this capability (all 120GB or less) sold for $400-$600, depending on date of purchase,hard disk capacity, and PS2 backwards-compatibility.

They intend to do this attack on their customers by use of a system update. They state that this update is not required, but failure to do this update will prevent the use of games with internet support, it will prevent game updates, and will even prevent the use of future releases, as they will require this update in order to install. In essence, it is required...unless you never use your video game system with games.

In the united states alone, Sony sold more than 9 million of the consoles that they will be removing this $100 feature from.

1730.3.2010 11:34

what if you already have Linux on your Ps3?

Will it terminate the Linux feature?

And she I update to Linux immediately before the first?

My fellow brethren of the Inter-webz Let your voice be heard.

This by far is Mutiny!!!

1830.3.2010 14:04

Originally posted by Pop_Smith:
It probably is a bit overkill but one could also buy two PS3's, a Fat due to the ever-closer realm of homebrew, and a Slim that you can update without fear of loosing much on the homebrew front since it can't use Linux anyway.

$340 for the cheapest skinny PS3...thats nearly $700 spent, and furthermore the fat PS3s, atleast in store fronts are very hard to come by around here. Out of a possible, roughly 8 retailers here that sell consoles new, only 1 had fat PS3s back in October when I got mine, and most e-retailers carrying fat PS3s were refurbished consoles anyways.

1930.3.2010 14:40

Why can't they release something better, instead of removing a feature?

To make things better, they should've released 3.30 or something and a new, useful feature but remove the OtherOS feature or even better, just leave the OtherOS alone for people who actually use it.

2030.3.2010 22:57

I am assuming this is an April fools joke...

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 30 Mar 2010 @ 10:57

2130.3.2010 23:54

Originally posted by PantherM:
I am assuming this is an April fools joke...
By now, GeoHot is already working on a CFW...if it is a joke, it will have terrible results for sony.

2231.3.2010 02:28

What a swindle, removing a feature THEY sold as a useful feature, now they want to go back on that original selling point. Feed them to the Wolves, as they do to others. Boycott any $ony product, hit them in the sales department, make them wake up. They use the court system when it suits them, so let them taste their own medicine, let them eat crow. They truly deserve it. Sell a feature on a console, then later want to remove it. A betrayal by $ony. Not loyal to customers, so we need not be loyal to them, treat them the same way they treat consumers, with contempt.

2331.3.2010 04:21

just waiting for the mindless, cue-card, xbox fanboy comments...

2431.3.2010 04:45
evnflow
Inactive

i thought that sony said earlier this month that they wouldn't drop support for the "otherOS ps3's"?

from ps3-hacks.com(earlier this month):
In a mailing list post from Geoff Levand, PS3-Linux maintainer, he says SCE management has provided this tidbit:

Please be assured that SCE is committed to continue the support for previously sold models that have the “Install Other OS” feature and that this feature will not be disabled in future firmware releases.

2531.3.2010 12:16

Originally posted by evnflow:
i thought that sony said earlier this month that they wouldn't drop support for the "otherOS ps3's"?

That's weird that Sony said that at the beginning of March and now is saying they are getting rid of OtherOS support with 3.21. Here is a link to that news article: Sony: Other OS won't be removed from non-Slim PS3's

2631.3.2010 21:19

Originally posted by molsen:
I think the security breach is from trying to mod this system.
Yes, that's always been expected and acceptable. The reason for selling you a product, then killing it is, at best, unclear. However, Apple and Linux users know that Sony is an 'unfriendly' company, unlike Panasonic: it has always offered elaborate software augments, which run only on Microsoft OSes; and Sony has grudgingly tossed in a primitive ISO protocol or format for Apple & GNU/Linux users.

Perhaps the security problem would be easier fixed if the Sony store didn't use Microsoft servers. Seriously, though, its the 'mods' of GNU/Linux (along with its 'price'& greater graphic support) that should be frightening Microsoft. Note the long report urging the U.S. (of all organizations) to encourage poor countries to teach students using ... closed source MS ... which should go over well.

All large organizations need the source code of their OS and applications, so they can modify them to their particular, exact needs. Such organizations would include corporations, government, and public education. If they use Microsoft, this is a problem.

Note that I've been paying Netflix monthly to stream movies even since it offered this service, but can't: I'd have to buy a MS computer, Xbox, or Sony Playstation for the DRM conversion (or buy a single-purpose electronic device, which opposes my philosophy). (Is this any less outrageous that the arbitrary removal of Linux from the PS3?) Why should I pay Microsoft for a movie being steamed to my home television? (Must ISPs still buy security certificates from MS to have their websites visible on .MSN?)

Administrators knows that Linux security is better than Microsoft's. (Because they case see the OS, they can harden the NSA-enhanced security*, if needed.) Although the reason for this arbitrary removal of Linux is unclear, Microsoft may be ordering its hardware minions to fall in line. In the past, Microsoft made its OS incompatible with popular applications; the only option left to it may be having its minions assuring their firmware & hardware remains incompatible with Linux. Even the word is disappearing from hardware sites (note 'other OS') in the 'optional' paragraph.

While MS attemps to 'kill off' free GNU/Linux with its 25,000 free, expert applications (with source code), lets hope the Sony executive who suggested Linux on the PS3 doesn't meet a similar fate. :-)

Just some thoughts.

*The NSA (like the CIA) certainly isn't going to run closed-source code on any of its machines, so they enhanced the security of the GNU/Linux on their supercomputers and, as suggested in the GPL license, offered their enhancements to everyone. (It's the default on the Fedora distribution.)

271.4.2010 00:23

Shades of 1984! Big Brother doesn't trust you, he needs to know what you are up to. M$ falls in line Sony falls in line, we get shafted, just like in an
Animal Farm, we know what is good for you, Yet Big Brother wants to keep his Secrets from you. Control the sources, plug your own propaganda, and remove the threat of free thinkers and other dangerous radicals who want to control their own lives.

281.4.2010 03:13

Originally posted by evnflow:

In a mailing list post from Geoff Levand, PS3-Linux maintainer, he says SCE management has provided this tidbit:

Please be assured that SCE is committed to continue the support for previously sold models that have the “Install Other OS” feature and that this feature will not be disabled in future firmware releases.
That quote is actually from LAST YEAR when it was revealed "Other OS" wouldn't be on the Slim, RE-reported earlier this month.

291.4.2010 04:44

Originally posted by bmlshane:
Shades of 1984!
Orwell as prophet: After buying Unix source code from AT&T, then selling the binary as Xenix, MS learns about OS shells. Later, having borrowed a Basic interpreter from Dartmouth College, MS is asked to create a CP/M clone for IBM. It sells 86-DOS, newly purchased for this purpose, to IBM and throws in its Basic interpreter. Then, with the help of graphic code from Apple and suggestions from IBM, MS produces what it had promised IBM as a graphical shell around MS-DOG: MS Windows.

In 1984, while IBM is still comatose, Microsoft becomes sentient. It learns to sue for violation of intellectual property rights. It continues to buy source code. (Well, buy may not be the right word.) Its announced purpose: a $300 copy of unreadable binary in every home, on every desk. It creates a little hologram to insure every student in Southeast Asia and India coughs up the US$ 300. Year 1984 on the Gregorian calendar.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 01 Apr 2010 @ 4:46

301.4.2010 11:29

One of the selling points of the PS3 was Linux. I figured out later that it wasn't as good as I thought and the lack of a bootloader was really annoying but still, I'd like to have it for the future. I'm not updating.

311.4.2010 12:00
daveytrac
Inactive

thx you have been really helpfull!

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 01 Apr 2010 @ 12:36

321.4.2010 12:18

Originally posted by daveytrac:
thx you have been really helpfull!
Was that to me?

331.4.2010 13:51

Originally posted by Gneiss1:
Originally posted by bmlshane:
Shades of 1984!
Orwell as prophet: After buying Unix source code from AT&T, then selling the binary as Xenix, MS learns about OS shells. Later, having borrowed a Basic interpreter from Dartmouth College, MS is asked to create a CP/M clone for IBM. It sells 86-DOS, newly purchased for this purpose, to IBM and throws in its Basic interpreter. Then, with the help of graphic code from Apple and suggestions from IBM, MS produces what it had promised IBM as a graphical shell around MS-DOG: MS Windows.

In 1984, while IBM is still comatose, Microsoft becomes sentient. It learns to sue for violation of intellectual property rights. It continues to buy source code. (Well, buy may not be the right word.) Its announced purpose: a $300 copy of unreadable binary in every home, on every desk. It creates a little hologram to insure every student in Southeast Asia and India coughs up the US$ 300. Year 1984 on the Gregorian calendar.
Actually Graphics code came from Xerox as did the original networking code both Job's & Gates were together when that happened and both have robbed from many companies. If in 84' or 07' MS steals UI code from Apple so be it they are both crooks it is poetic justice.

The reference to 1984 was in my opinion to the book and not a literial year, at least that is the way I would see it with other references to security issues.

I would think this is not a Fools hoax as PS3 has been moving this direction since they found that having the OtherOS option is a security hole, so from their stance it is a no brainer, plug the hole.

341.4.2010 14:42

By the way, skimming through here I didn't see if it was a joke or not. To anyone curious, go to the source: link
It specifically says otherOS is "deleted."

EDIT- Well this sucks! The call of online is heard but the enticement of CFW is even louder...
I wonder how writing homebrew would go. Being a different architecture, I wonder if one has to make their programs use several threads to work effectively with the processor. Hmm, I think I might wait.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 01 Apr 2010 @ 2:51

351.4.2010 17:11

Originally posted by Mr-Movies:
The reference to 1984 was in my opinion to the book and not a literal year, at least that is the way I would see it with other references to security issues.
Literal year, I think. MS claims 1983, but I remember reading of it on a plane in 1985; so I chose 1984. (Its history I skimmed, but I believe MS earlier obtained Apple's source code to write MS Word for the Mac about this time.) Apple has always stuck to the old model of offering an OS with its computers, so I don't see it as Orwellian. The recent attempts to squash the little 'open source' OSes is, to me at least, amazingly Orwellian. :-) Only one thing could leave the world with a single OS:

Hardware companies differ greatly in their cooperation with Linux. Examining AfterDawn's recent news, I can't rule out 'suddenly unwelcome' as a possible reason.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 01 Apr 2010 @ 5:13

361.4.2010 17:42
nyurbiz
Inactive

@bmishane, you should have been boycotting edited for content by moderator Sony way before you
bought a ps3.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 01 Apr 2010 @ 6:31

372.4.2010 05:46
el_golfo
Inactive

any who.... lol, no seriously that blows, i WAS going to buy MVC2 off the PSN store but i just havent now i hear this and i dont even wanna touch my ps3 :( i LOVE her, shes my friend and we play games together. WHY would any one want to take a childs laughter away like that? WHY?! i ask you! but on the other hand i HAVE been looking at some slims and REALLY thinking about buying one.... too bad im poor and i have to wait :( maybe with the money i get back from the lawsuit i can buy TWO slims, keep my old fatty, have a OS on my fatty AND play games just the same in either one of my hotties :D

382.4.2010 11:16
jambo130
Inactive

I am a bit annoyed about this because this was the reason i got my ps3 and now they have taken it was

392.4.2010 12:28

Originally posted by jerred121:
just waiting for the mindless, cue-card, xbox fanboy comments...
And your useful comment is... ?
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 05 Apr 2010 @ 9:48

402.4.2010 15:21

Still no word from mister spot-light. Then again, it's not like he's going to do it overnight. Either way, I think I might just go ahead and update because, a) I don't use the feature because the hardware access is so limited it borders on the same resources as my ~15 year old desktop, and b) I think I would rather wait for any CFW to become stable enough before I actual use it. It would be really cool if I could actually write my own plugins and whatnot for my PS3, but I don't want to jump in head-first and brick my $400 piece of hardware. Sure I could maybe recover it, but I would have to open it up and directly connect it to my computer. Not to mention I don't know enough and would have to wait for someone, if anyone does, to make a piece of software that will write the firmware. At this point I'm rambling though, and the point is just that I guess I can sacrifice this feature in order to play my games for now. But I'm anticipating the ability to do my own code for my PS3. I don't anticipate the influx of people using someone else' written plugin to cheat online though...

412.4.2010 18:35

Originally posted by WierdName:
Still no word from mister spot-light. Then again, it's not like he's going to do it overnight. Either way, I think I might just go ahead and update because, a) I don't use the feature because the hardware access is so limited it borders on the same resources as my ~15 year old desktop, and b) I think I would rather wait for any CFW to become stable enough before I actual use it. It would be really cool if I could actually write my own plugins and whatnot for my PS3, but I don't want to jump in head-first and brick my $400 piece of hardware. Sure I could maybe recover it, but I would have to open it up and directly connect it to my computer. Not to mention I don't know enough and would have to wait for someone, if anyone does, to make a piece of software that will write the firmware. At this point I'm rambling though, and the point is just that I guess I can sacrifice this feature in order to play my games for now. But I'm anticipating the ability to do my own code for my PS3. I don't anticipate the influx of people using someone else' written plugin to cheat online though...
that's exactly what they want. for you to take it up the ass, and say well i never use it. it not about that there taking away a selling point an advertised point.to think i was going to fork out another 100 dollars for nothing. its absurd not to mentioned horrible, sometime illegal.

Example your buying a new car you see 2 of the same cars one has a V8 with power windows the other one has a V-6 with no power windows. how would you like it if after paying the car off they come and take your power windows out saying it was a security risk and left you with no windows at all.

422.4.2010 19:35

Originally posted by DXR88:
Originally posted by WierdName:
that's exactly what they want. for you to take it up the ass, and say well i never use it. it not about that there taking away a selling point an advertised point.to think i was going to fork out another 100 dollars for nothing. its absurd not to mentioned horrible, sometime illegal.

Example your buying a new car you see 2 of the same cars one has a V8 with power windows the other one has a V-6 with no power windows. how would you like it if after paying the car off they come and take your power windows out saying it was a security risk and left you with no windows at all.
I completely understand what you're saying and I don't in any way condone Sony taking away the functionality that is, I'm pretty sure, listed on my PS3's packaging in the other room. However, I don't use that functionality so I can sacrifice it for now to actually use the console for online and whatnot. I do anticipate saying 'good-bye' to the official FW and 'hi' to the more user friendly custom FW. They're taking away functionality post-purchase that was promised pre-purchase. That's not cool. But in this particular case of what functionality it is, I can (grudgingly) handle 'up'dating the firmware. Though I can understand the logic on their part for doing this, it was pretty stupid considering now they pushed someone to hack it who is evidently quite capable to.

434.4.2010 05:06

Originally posted by nyurbiz:
@bmishane, you should have been boycotting edited for content by moderator Sony way before you
bought a ps3.
Well, I bought one of the First PS3's, because of Blu-ray, could play some PS2 games, and having the OS capability. I built my first computer, yes, a kit form, but I bought separate components to upgrade during the build. It had Basic, and not M$ basic.I learnt a few programming languages as well. At that time, $ony wasn't such an unfriendly company, had many of their goods because of quality, but know they farm everything to lowest component maker and assembler bids. The quality isn't there now, and they have become involved in more things, and are only interested in profit. I now avoid $ony goods.I hope that makes my position clear. Why the attack that had to have a moderator edit it?

445.4.2010 14:50
ititoko
Inactive

Sony's move is questionable at best. I've been in touch with someone from the EFF, and they don't intend to engage in this fight directly for 'complicated strategic reasons'. However, they may be able to provide support in other ways for people affected by this stunt.

We just need to organize...

455.4.2010 18:33

For all of you upset that you lost the feature, check this out. You can still play online without updating. It's working fine for me.

First workaround, provided by Aaron on rvlution.net is a very easy hack to access and sign into PSN, without upgrading PS3 to firmware version 3.21. All the “old” PS3 owners (such as those on firmware 3.15) should do is to customize the network settings from XMB (XrossMediaBar). Under the option for DNS name-servers, select Custom, and enter the following IP address as the Primary DNS:

This is the website with the info:
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2010/04/05...de-for-otheros/

465.4.2010 18:36

Originally posted by core2kid:
For all of you upset that you lost the feature, check this out. You can still play online without updating. It's working fine for me.

First workaround, provided by Aaron on rvlution.net is a very easy hack to access and sign into PSN, without upgrading PS3 to firmware version 3.21. All the “old” PS3 owners (such as those on firmware 3.15) should do is to customize the network settings from XMB (XrossMediaBar). Under the option for DNS name-servers, select Custom, and enter the following IP address as the Primary DNS:

This is the website with the info:
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2010/04/05...de-for-otheros/
Excellent work Core2kid

475.4.2010 18:39

Thanks and btw, be sure to disconnect from online and power on the system (If wireless, quickly go to where it says "signing in" and click it; if wired unplug) and then go to network settings and change the settings. I don't know if it makes a difference but that's what I did.

4822.4.2010 14:36

Please contact Jerome Noll at (914) 517-5000 to join a class action lawsuit against Sony.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive