1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using a PC for DVB-C UPC Ireland

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by Inquitus, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Inquitus

Inquitus Member

Hi,

I want to use a PC for viewing, recording etc. from UPC Ireland, using a legitimate UPC subscribed card.

Its hard to find decent information on this, and how hard it is to set up. As I understand it I need a DVB-C Receiver PCI Card, a CAM module and my subscriber card along with my PC.

Can anyone point me to some decent material on how to choose the appropriate Receiver, CAM etc and how to set it up, so I can access the difficulty and the pitfalls.

Thanks,

Inq

2. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

Dont quote me on this but I seriously doubt what you describe is possible without a lot of research. Take the UPC card. Its tied to a boxkey and RSAkey. Boxkey is possible to lift from the flash memory of the receiver box. There are many threads discussing RSakey extraction but from what I read its a complex task. To my knowledge you cannot expect to simply slip a UPC card into a CAM module and expect it to work. There is a reason why cards are tied to receivers and unless you have some software on the CAM that can emulate the receiver boxes security measures I find it unlikely that this is easily possible. Consider this. If this was as easy as you describe then you could put a server on your PC and share the card with anyone you wanted to across the internet. So I think you need to look at this a little more closely before you invest in anything

3. Inquitus

Inquitus Member

Thanks Fintannl, what you say makes perfect sense, with N3 introduced CS is the only way obtain channels fraudulently, so no matter how shit the UPC STB is, they have vested interest in making it as hard as possible for me to use my PC as an STB even though I am paying for everything and no theft of service is occurring.........tbh if the STB didn't suck soo much I wouldn't even be looking into this......coupled with the fact we have LAN wiring to upstairs but no cable points there. This means that this would be a neat and easy way to couple a HTPC with a TV and have cable on the top 2 floors.

4. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

if your interested in cs look at the dreambox satellite threads. the biggest benefit is you do get quality picture off satellite and the dreambox receiver from the cheapest to the best are in fact very good receivers

5. Mooley

Mooley Regular member

Ask this seller about it and see will it do what you want it to do. I personally have no idea but if it does what it says on the tin it should work. Again, I have no idea if it works. h**p://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nagravision-Common-Interface-CI-CAM-Module-Modul-/150426759489

6. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

seen that advertised before, if I remember, was told it dont work over here cause the cam and card have to be matched, could be wrong, but thats what I recall, some one posted it on here a good while back and I remeber asking about em elsewhere

7. Inquitus

Inquitus Member

I have looked into it a bit deeper and it seems cards are locked to the Box and the only way to use a card with a PCI DVB-C Card and a CAM is to jtag your STB and dump the Boxcode and RSA Code. Atm it seems theres a crowd in Poland who can do that with my STB, but no details available of how to Jtag it yourself......and my soldering sucks anyways.......jtagging my xbox360 took me forever.

So essentially its possible but a huge PITA, and beyond most people.

8. tmck2

tmck2 Regular member

Use media centre in vista

9. Inquitus

Inquitus Member

And pray tell how that's of any use if I don''t have the boxkey that ties my card to my STB?

10. tmck2

tmck2 Regular member

media centre connects to your UPC box usb tuner stick

11. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

inquitus, i can only assume that media centre does not solve your problem. your research seems sound to me

12. mark0288

mark0288 Regular member

hi if i buy a scound recording box off a mate is there any way i can set it up to work with out upc finding out