1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SKY on MPC

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by v32det, Apr 28, 2010.

1. v32det

v32det Member

hi there Iam a newbie on here so a big hello to you all.

I have a question which I hope someone can answer for me. I have recently purchased a Media Centre PC with a mini-Pci-DVB-T card fitted. I was under the impression that I could connect my RF out of my SKY box direct to the DVB connector like I do in the upstairs TV. "this PC was purchased to replace the upstairs TV".

Iam running 7 ultimate and have tried various software to find any channels. WMC, Lifeveiw and HDTV. All of them scan but come back blank. The DVB card now looks ok in DM as ive tried many drivers to eventually get it working in 7. Am I overlooking the obvious here?? or are you going to tell me that I cannot use the PC for this function. All as I want to do is have 1 channel set for receiving the SKY RF broadcast and have the Magic Eye plugged in also. Iam not trying to receive DVB-S or any other encrypted signals.

Iam looking at purchasing yet another DVB-T card if I have too if its a 7 issue.

Thanks in advance

2. Mooley

Mooley Regular member

You say connect to your Sky box?? Which is DVB-S? Your PCI card is DVB-T.

3. v32det

v32det Member

I know the sky box receives in DVB-S but the 5v RF output is surley analogue, which currently connects via coax to my upstairs TV tuner

4. Mooley

Mooley Regular member

I'm unsure if thats actually analogue Terrestrial to be honest.

5. v32det

v32det Member

DVB-T even better. so why is the card not picking up a broadcast?

6. v32det

v32det Member

I was under the impression that the card would emulate a TV tuner, is that not the case?

7. Mooley

Mooley Regular member

Are you sure the RF output on sky box is giving you a live analogue feed from that socket?

8. Mooley

Mooley Regular member

I would have thought an LNB will give you a DVB-S signal only. Anyhthing else might be channels Sky let feed through free via RF out. Some FTA ones?

9. v32det

v32det Member

Anyone else have any ideas.

To simplify things ignore the above post as they confuse things.

My question is does a dvb-t freeview PCTV card emulate the TV tuner within your TV 100%?. If not what adapter/card does so I can buy one.

Thanks

10. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

No. you need a dvb-s tuner to pick up freeview sat channels on your pc.

11. v32det

v32det Member

No. you need a dvb-s tuner to pick up freeview sat channels on your pc.

Thats the point, I dont want to pick up any dvb-s satalite or freeview chaneels at all.
    Iam well aware what DVB-S is and how it works as I have a card and card reader for this purpose. I dont however use or nrequire this function anylonger as I now pay for my satalite channels

I have a sky box and pay for all my channels already, thats were the dvb-s ends. The coaxial output on the back of the sky box which says 5v "for use with a magic eye" IS NOT DVB-S. I currently connect this coaxial RF output to my legacy TV, through the coaxial RF in on my TV. I currently tune my legacy TV to 1 channel and use my SAT remote via the eye to change channels. Thats all nothing complicated.
    Now I want to throw away my legacy TV and replace it with a MCPC. The MCPC also has a TV tuner built in. (with me so far) . I want to unplug the coaxial RF cable from my legacy TV and plug it into the MCPC RF port. Then i want to replicate the setup as of my legacy TV.

Thats it nothing heavy or complicated, I just need to know if the MCPC tuner would replicate that of my legacy TV...

12. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

Sweet, do i feel a bit of tension in last post. Answer remains the same. You have a sat system which you are outputting to further tv. No prob. Same issue, if you are going from a sat output into a dvb-t pc card it simply won't work. you need a dvb-s card in your pc which is consistent with what you mention.

13. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

So I got this wrong. After reading here's the story. So rather than connecting coax to your secondary tv you connect it via rf from the primary receiver (sky box). This transmission is not dvb-t but rf. you need an rf receiver at the pc for that. dvb-t and rf are very much not the same thing. finally understood, excude the dimwittedness

14. v32det

v32det Member

At last thankyou for understanding. I was thinking that i was speaking a different language. So the dvb-t card cannot receive RF is that what you are saying. If so the only thing I can watch through the MCPC is freeview channels via my external digital ariel. Cool now at least that explains why my MCPC will not tune into any channels originating from RF out. So the million dollar question is what hardware do i need to buy to be able to perform such a task. If I cannot get the MCPC to do this then it will be deemed useless and end up on flea bay.

Thanks
    and Yes my dummy was on its way out..lol

15. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

hate to be repetitive, repeating, saying the same thing, alluding to the same point, considering the same option, trying to say something similar, pointing out something already pointed out, wanting to say different but cant, but maybe you might consider the coax option to your pc. it will offer much more than on the RF/UHF/VHF band. By the way maybe cause you understand, percieve, wish to know, have a want for knowledge, just maybe you might consider looking at the dm500 sat thread. i suspect you would have very little issue understanding how it works and it will most certainly meet all your household demands without the investment you suggest

16. v32det

v32det Member

LOL....Thanks for that will nosey on over there now..

17. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

do that, its a good thread. would ya ever mind next time just toning it down a bit. we isn't totally thick, i think. in my perspective, as i know it, from my understanding etc...