1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dell inspiron 5315 on/off problems

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by Maddog127, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Maddog127

Maddog127 Member

hey guys I have a dell inspiron 5315 and when I hit the power button the pc turns on but then shuts off after like 4 seconds and screen on monitor stays black and there are no beep sounds at all so i have no idea what the issue is also when i try to turn the pc on sometimes i have to keep hitting the power button a few times before it turns on but then it just shuts rite back off when it does turn on if anyone can help me out let me know would be much appretiated thank you

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Could be several things, but first you ought to check if the CPU heatsink is still firmly attached, I'm not sure why it would have come loose, but it's something you should check. The next possible suspect would be the power supply, and then the power switch itself.

3. Maddog127

Maddog127 Member

I just checked the powersupply and its fine i still have to check the switch but i dont know how to check it cause its got usb ports and cap onit and the wires that come out of it turn into one plug that plugs into the motherboard cause its a dell and dell blows in my opinion. How can i check the switch

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Dell stuff is usually reasonably well made, but it is fairly typical of them to design PCs in such a way they can't be upgraded properly. They are moneygrabbers like that :p
    easiest way to check the switch would be to either stick pins in the parts of the Front I/O cable that correspond to the power switch, and test it with an electrical meter. Failing that, you can try (very carefully!) shorting the two pins that the power switch connects with a thin screwdriver and seeing if the problem recurs.

5. Maddog127

Maddog127 Member

is there anyway to bypass the switch with anothe one

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, you could try making one yourself, otherwise you need to track down a PC test kit (which has mini switches and power/HDD LEDs in it you can plug in), I paid about £10 for mine, far more than it's worth, but it has occasionally come in handy. I usually buy them just for the PC beep speakers though, since modern cases don't come with them!

7. Maddog127

Maddog127 Member

Thank you so much sammorris I really appretiate your help I guess what it comes down to now is testing the switch i have a volt meter ill try and see if i can trace the pins for the buttons hopefully i figure something out thanx for your help

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

well, a continuity test is what you want ideally :D

9. Maddog127

Maddog127 Member

i figured out the problem thanx for your help man its the switch took a minute to figure out but it got it goin thanx again man time to call dell and see if they can even give me a stupid switch

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

They probably won't have a switch, but they should hopefully have a replacement front panel you can attach with all the switches. How easy it is to replace though is anybody's guess. Good luck :)