1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it worth upgrading to DDR3 machine from my current DDR2 setup

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by minghi, Sep 7, 2010.

1. jkl

jkl Regular member

yeah the avivo hd has the theater 200 chip for vivo capabilities, however it's not commonly used nowadays and hence most new ati cards don't have the port on them, though the technology is still there, if anyone decides to utilize it.

(this is from the first paragraph about avivo hd)

The successor of ATI Avivo is the ATI Avivo HD, which consists of several parts: integrated 5.1 surround sound HDMI audio controller, dual integrated HDCP encryption key for each DVI port (to reduce license costs), the Theater 200[dead link] chip for VIVO capabilities, the Xilleon chip for TV overscan and underscan correction, the Theater 200[dead link] chip as well as the originally-presented ATI Avivo Video Converter.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Then where is the Theater chip on modern GPUs?

3. jkl

jkl Regular member

i doubt u could pull in video from the dvi XD(maybe the hdmi?). as for the "where is the theater chip on modern gpu's" are u really wanting me to track down a schematic or point at the tiny chip on my own gpu and be like "see that spot right there?" lol u do have to admit at the stupidity of the question x.x but to be honest i don't know the exact physical location, nor do i care to take the time to try to find a microchip on that complex of a schematic unless i'm being paid for it.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That is my point. VIVO used to mean the ports on the graphics card accepted Video In - that's what the VI in VIVO stood for :p