1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread - 4th Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Sep 13, 2010.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'd say it'd be a long time before I buy a case that much, but actually, my server case was £300+VAT ($500), so technically I did!
    Still, I'd have more difficulty justifying a desktop tower case that price given what you can get for a quarter of that price. Large server cases don't really get much cheaper than what I paid sadly.

2. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

That case is much like a server case for what it can hold so as it is for a special unique purpose I can see why it is soooo expensive. Like Blaze I don't normally spend more than $50 for a case and look for deals too but I would love to buy Sam's server case and in a special situation I would buy that case too.

3. harvardguy

harvardguy Regular member

Well, I think things were much more EXCITING before Blaze admitted he was joking:

Because, I pulled it up on newegg, looked at the pictures, and then I noticed - HOLES ALL OVER THE PLACE.

Before I noticed those holes, my first thought was - looks almost as good as my Thermaltake spedo! (Deadrum had the right maker, Thermaltake, just the wrong model, spedo not armor. :)

But then I read this:

I added the bold - and that is precisely my point - too many holes, means those cases are not designed to be POSITIVE PRESSURE cases. What does that mean? It means that dust is sucked into the case, through all the little cracks and crannies, by the negative pressure of too many exhaust fans, not over-balanced by MORE intake fans.

Simple fluid flow: Keep your static pressure higher than ambience, through enough intake fans, and every little crack in the case will be blowing out - meaning that dust can never come inside the case and reduce the effectiveness of any cooler.

I know that Sam thinks my 6 intake fans, 5 of which are 140s, is overkill, but what he doesn't appreciate, is that the Demciflex filters on every single intake kill at least 50% of the airflow, (mftr web site says 15% but that is a bold faced lie) so I had no choice but to balance off the 2 140 rear exhausts, and the 200 ceiling exhaust (on a speed-reducer coupler that came with one of the phanteks) with those 6 intake fans - cut in half air-flow wise by the demciflex filters. (I am not including the 800 rpm 120mm scythe exhaust fan BEHIND the motherboard as its airflow is minimal.)

I HAVE NO DUST INSIDE MY CASE - READ IT AND WEEP - NO DUST.

But I do indeed have dust on my filters - in fact my Demciflex filters are THICK with dust - it's time to wash them, and I should capture a photograph as part of this post, but at the moment I'm too lazy.

- hoping to spark a huge argument over positive pressure vs negative pressure cases so I can watch DDP once again say something to the effect: "Let's keep it in check boys." LOL

Rich

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

i can always do it to you so people can see i'm serious. are you game?

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well then now it makes sense steve ;) Now don't get me wrong buddy! I'm not counting the cheaper cases out. I'm sure there are nice enough cases in that price range. Certainly for a build, that a customer isn't too 'hip' into PC's like we are ;) Why spend more, when a cheaper case can just work. And heck! If you find a cheap one, that isn't loud, accommodates the build, then go for it! ;) I'll likely do it! I've done it!!! I only splurge for myself LOL! If a customer wants a nice case, I'll direct them to one. If they want a cheap PC, I'll build them a cheap pc...

I'm not saying that your linked case is unworthy of big spender, but generally, they are. Because most shoppers know that you get what you pay for. I don't know about you, but I filter my results by price ;) And I don't always go for the cheapest.

I hope this isn't insulting. I totally have respect for you.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Stevo,

No, I'm not going to read back. Especially since in your other post you weren't sure whether you had posted it at all!

This whole thing was portrayed by you as a joke, you know, pulling Sam's chain! I guess in the back of your mind it wasn't a joke at all! Otherwise you would have no reason to be frustrated now! You started this issue, not me so please don't be blaming me for your frustrations!

Respectfully,
    Russ

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

FWIW, this situation occurred when using:

Intake: 4x120mm @ 1900rpm, 1x230mm @ 700rpm
    Exhaust: 2x120mm @ 1900rpm, 1x140mm @ 1000rpm

I believe that makes it positive pressure from more intake than exhaust, as per your setup?
    The only real way to stop dust is dust filters, which the side intakes on the HAF932 (closest to the graphics cards) don't have.

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Hi Rich,

I used the airflow, with a little addition in fans, to direct the dust to the side cover fan on my C/M RC-534+. Nothing but air flows through the radiator. I haven't cleaned it since I installed the CoolIt. That's at least a year ago! I'm not sure what I will do with that cooler yet. It's far more cooling than I need in the new Corsair 400R, case, that's for sure. A Corsair H-60 does just fine, with 1/3 less radiator, and only a single fan. The case is a marvel at cooling. It's 75F (23C) in my room. It idles at 23C-25C, which just happens to be the ambient room temperature. I've ordered one of these Arctic Cooling PWM fans to replace the 1700 rpm stock fan on the H-60 radiator. Strictly pull out the top of the case, no push. vewy vewy Quiet! It has 18 more cfm than the stock fan at 1350 rpm, 36, so it should cool it just as well as the Scythe Slipstream 140, another serious noisemaker, did. 650 to 3000 rpm, 12.4dBA to 36.4 dBA. This Arctic Cooling fan should be a perfect fit for my needs, and much quieter.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186078&Tpk=case fans 120 mm

Best Regards,
    Russ

9. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

You just don't get it!

10. Ripper

Ripper Active member

I have a feeling someone's going to get it soon! Haha.

11. ddp

watching!!!!

12. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

In other news did you guys know I can't type at all? Instead I finger-peck at 45-50WPM when I get up to stride XD

I have a nerve condition that makes it hard to perform precise movement with my hands, so it suits me better to use only the first 2 or 3 fingers for typing. My hands shake badly otherwise.

Even more hilarious is that when I type without thinking, I never look at the keyboard or screen, just space it out visualize what I am typing mentally. Only when I am conscious of the act of typing(much like breathing or blinking) do I actually look at the keyboard and monitor. My typing is usually spot-on, corrections and all before I ever look at the screen.

The same nerve condition affects my ability to write, shoot and draw. Thus I have inconsistent handwriting and problems grouping hits with pistols XD

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not dispraxia is it Jeff?

I used to suffer that a bit when I was younger.

Fortunately it's not too bad now. I do still have difficulty with certain tasks though. How to move hands, arms etc. To achieve a task n isn't always as obvious to me as it should be...

14. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Yep Sam, dispraxia with a healthy dose of attention deficit on top of that, lol. I understand that the two often go hand-in-hand. I'm told it can also affect how I perceive and understand things beyond coordination, making it difficult to wrap my mind around new concepts. It makes sense to me as I am not what you would call a conventional thinker :p

You've probably noticed over time how I like to oversimplify complex things to get a basic grip on an idea.

Throw in a heaping helping of social anxiety but lol that's another story.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mr-Movies,

Apparently I don't. I didn't do a darn thing to deserve all this crap, so no, I don't get it! Why am I catching crap about a case I bought for myself? It was my choice and I bought it.

What makes no sense to me at all is this quote from you:
    "I think I stated well prior why it isn't antiquated so I won't reiterate that point as you obviously aren't willing to comprehend. Inner height doesn't necessarily qualify that conclusion which seems to be the root of your argument."

No you didn't state well prior, at least not after my case came up, I did look that far back. Besides, when have you ever known me not to check links? I did say that I felt that the Fractal was a somewhat antiquated design. The last sentence, I don't even comprehend. Inner height? A conclusion which seems to be the root of my argument? What root of my argument? I have no idea what you are talking about!

You, yourself say the corsair 400R is a better case, but you seem to be wanting to split hairs on how much better you feel the corsair is in certain areas. You can't even use cost as a determining factor anymore because both TigerDirect and Newegg have the 400R on sale for the same $59.99 sale price! That makes the Corsair the better economic value as well, so it's all a moot point anyway!

Respectfully,
    Russ

16. ddp

everybody knock it off or i'll close this thread!!!!

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Indeed. Neither of you guys needs the last word. Lets move on ;)

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah I'm not sure about ADD, maybe slightly, but I don't think I've suffered too badly from that. It's an odd thing though, I don't so much lack common sense, yet despite building a PC, testing it etc. being second nature, ask me to fold an item of clothing I haven't seen often before and I'll find it nearly impossible to work it out for myself, it's frankly quite embarassing. It's not that my limbs won't respond properly to what I command them to do, it's just I have no idea what commands to give them to achieve the end result I'm looking for :/

It's pretty laughable that the case argument is still going tbh, especially when you consider that while you can conclude that X/Y product is a flat-out 'better CPU' or 'better graphics card' (and even then, there are some conditionals there), that simply doesn't work for cases. People would buy a proven 'worse' product and pay a lot more for it, and that wouldn't be wrong, it's just their choice. So um, what are you arguing about again exactly?

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Yes Sir,

There is nothing more to say!

Russ

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

It gave no problems at 3.9 GHz, so here we are at 4.025GHz!

[​IMG]

Processor Arithmetic

[​IMG]

Memory Bandwidth

[​IMG]

Processor Multi Media

[​IMG]

WEI Score

[​IMG]

So far it's passed all the tests, with no problems, and it's getting smoother as I increase the speed. Same settings as at 3.9GHz, I just bumped the multiplier to 21.5.

Best Regards,
    Russ