1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread - 4th Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Sep 13, 2010.

1. FredBun

FredBun Active member

I can relate to your hands, it's a tuff cookie to work with, I have nerve damage in my left hand and at times the pain can be a real stinger when it acts up, makes typing difficult, thank goodness it's a on and off thing.

I saw your case Russ, it is really nice, I showed it to Boris, he is thinking about ordering one and he's a tuff sell that's how much he liked it.

Nice to be back on-line, we lost power for quite some time because of Sandy, and that storm was a major pain in the ass, no more for us meaning me and family, ordered a generator will hook up to the main circuit panel, to old to lose power for that kind of length anymore.

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Fred,

Tell Boris, it's on sale at Newegg for $59 (after $20MIR), with free shipping. this is a fairly heavy, solidly built case at 15.2Lbs. He'll save another $18 and change with the free shipping. It's very large for a Mid-Tower, and is deeper (20.5")than your C/M case by a couple of inches. yet only about 1.5" taller. Getting the Sata cables connected is easy to do because you can see the port, so it takes about 20 seconds to connect my 4 drives!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139008

Great buy for only $59! The corsair H60 is the cooler I use, and it's on sale at tigerdirect for $39. It's on sale for the next 18 hours, so tell him don't dawdle. My temps are silly cold! Right around 25C at idle.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7335485&CatId=499

Highly recommended! I'll try and call you in the next hour or so.

I just moved my overclock up to 4GHz, and so far it does everything without crashing. it barely breaks 40C when encoding, and it only hit 41C for a few seconds once.

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

[​IMG]

What's funny? That 7.3 score is not, in fact for speed at all. If you click the 'details' button the score only being 7.3 is for only having 68GB of free space on the drive!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I thought that score was based on "Disk data transfer rate", as it says?

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I thought so too, until I clicked that 'detailed information' button:
    [​IMG]

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Surely that's just another way of showing disc space? A mechanical disc could certainly effect the subscore, but surely not an SSD :S

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If so, it begs the question why one of the fastest drives on the market only scores 7.3. Windows will not disclose any of the test data it uses to provide the results, so unless I can find the log file, I won't know...

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,

That's really strange about the ssd drive being so slow. I don't think it's because of only having 68GB of free space left on it though, because I only have 60.2GB left on mine, and I get a 7.9! Have you run ATTO on it, because with my Intel 330, I had to run the optimization to complete it's installation. Once I did that, It had the speed advertised, and was much faster!

[​IMG]

Best Regards,
    Russ

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I get a 7.9, but I don't see near the transfer rate that was advertised. Perhaps optimizations are in order :p

10. harvardguy

harvardguy Regular member

Sam, that's exactly my point when I mentioned my Demciflex fan filters. I agree 100%.

To prevent dust, you have to have two elements in play:

1. Positive case pressure
    2. Every inlet with a good filter

I have some high-resolution scans of various filter types and the Demciflex filters have a much finer mesh, by more than 400%, than anything else I've ever seen - but you pay a price in terms of reduced airflow, and while the manufacturer says 15%, my guess is 40-50% (which I stated in my letter to them congratulating them on their great filters, and recommending a re-write of their website article on positive case pressure.)

You have more intake than exhaust, until you add Demciflex filters to the equation, then I bet you have more exhaust than intake. Not only that, but as you say, your side intake is not filtered. Bingo - DUST INSIDE THE CASE!

It's not THAT big a deal, but it's so much easier, in my opinion, every couple months, to slide off the 6 magnetic Demciflex filters, run them through the warm water in the sink (and dry out overnight) than to get inside the case and start pulling dust from every hsf. Just my opinion.

[And DDP, I never have thought you are anything other than serious - I was just joshing a bit. To answer your question: No I am not game - to challenge your authority in any fashion, if that is what you meant.]

Why does that remind me of the $80 seat belt ticket I just received a couple hours ago, 2 miles before my exit, coming back down from Thanksgiving in LA? All the while, between yawns, I was looking at those signs on the freeway: Click it, or Ticket and suddenly, there he was, right in my rear view mirror, in all his California Highway Patrol glory.

So I put some little clips on the belt just now - I'll wear it when I drive but the clips won't let it retract all the way into the holder, so it will be looser and not wrinkle my shirt - that is until I do my normal better job at watching for cops when I'm not yawning so much. I guess they have a real campaign going. He was super polite. I asked, and he told me $80 - my last seat belt ticket 5 years ago was only $26 - but at least it's not a moving violation and doesn't count as a point.
    Oh well, California needs the money. LOL

Rich

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

DDP does strike me as a cop LOL!

12. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

yep, site cop.

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

And a pretty good one too! I consider you, a part of the family here!

Best Regards,
    Russ

14. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

So my corsair f60 ssd hovers around 1GB free, but I assume that shouldn't affect SSDs. It has been over a year since I have reinstalled windows 7, which is the longest time period I can remember for myself. Right now it's quite sluggishness hoo up and loading programs. Should bind a wipe or is there software that can optimise bit again?

15. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Have a 60GB OS partition with 28.3GB free. I always leave some room for paging and whatnot, though Windows rarely uses it. Could almost get away with 40GB, though I prefer some working room.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  16. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

I use PerfectDisk 12.5 from Raxco to optimize my SSD's and it seems to work pretty well. It also defrag's my Pagefiles too which is a nice bonus.

17. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

will try that, thanks.

i have my pagefiles on a seperate HDD.

18. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

I got rid of my Pagefiles. I figure with 16GB of Ram I don't need them. I use Trim to keep my SSD's in good shape.

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,

I went from the SataIII Patriot Pyro 60GB to the SataIII 120GB Intel 330. Both drives had similar performance, so I did expect them to be fairly equal. They aren't, the Intel is noticeably faster. I could be wrong, but I think the additional hi speed memory better suits larger file sizes, which transfer their data much faster, according to ATTO.

Best Regards,
    Russ

20. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

Raxco will automatically find your Pagefiles if you are using them so it doesn't matter where they are located. If you use PerfectDisk be sure to turn on the boot feature for each drive/partition when optimizing in order to defrag your Pagefile(s) and speed up your boot process. You'll have to restart the system to defrag the start up process which will take some time when rebooting after an optimization. Like most optimization programs PerfectDisk uses the Trim tool to optimize your SSD(s).