1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread - 4th Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

You haven't mentioned the OS, the message(s) you get, how long it runs without problems after a clean install, do you tweak the system or hack it in anyway, and how you formatted twice? And there are even more questions to be answered.

If you are running Windows 7 and have deleted the hard drive partition(s) and then re-installed and as you say it runs fine for awhile then you might have a virus/rootkit problem, or it is something you have installed or tweaked in the system, but could also be many other things too.

There are way too many things that could be causing you problems from your vague poorly written paragraph plea for help.

Code:
    plz    -> Please
    i      -> I
    dis    -> this is
    tellin -> telling
    2      -> to
    workn  -> working
    am     -> I'm
    The above would correct your spelling and grammatical errors in case you are not of a English speaking/writing background. You might want to use a spell checker to help make your messages more readable in the future, just a suggestion.

On another note I just bought a 3DS XL, to talk about gaming, and WOW it is great. I really love the larger screen and the 3D graphics on licensed Nintendo games like Paper Mario, Mariokart 7, and Super Mario 2 are just fantastic which I'm normally not a fan of 3D these days. There are things I should be doing around the house and for Christmas instead of gaming coming but this darn thing has been pulling me away from my necessary duties. I need to get the new Resident Evil as a friend has it and it is totally cool on the 3DS XL. The only negative with the 3D, which is true of most 3D systems, is it has a very narrow viewing window before the screen is out of whack visually. You have to hold it about 16 inches away from your face and the viewing angle at best is about 10 degrees (side-to-side / up-and-down). It's the best Christmas present I've given myself in a very long time! :D

Stevo

2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Spammers are usually that vague. But it could be for real.

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

No Warranty on the 990XA motherboard, I overclocked! At my stage of life it's not worth fighting about. I'll continue to buy GigaByte motherboards for AMD though! Maggie's office sent me a link for this motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128509R

So now, the 8 core FX-8320 3.5GHz/4.0GHz Core boost, goes to Russell. I get the 1090t 6 core back where the 5200 MT/s can do some useful good. I know I read somewhere that the FX-8320 only has one 2600MHz leg. The NB is set at 2200Mhz. Any attempt to raise it and it fails 4 out of 5 IBT passes. More than fast enough stock, anyway!

Best Regards,
    Russ

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Out of curiosity, why do you need the NB at 2600mhz?

5. Blazorthon

Blazorthon Regular member

Increased CPU/NB frequency increases L3 cache frequency, among other things. This usually helps gaming performance (cache bandwidth and latency are two of Intel's greatest performance advantages over AMD CPUs).

Increasing NB frequency would probably improve memory bandwidth, a somewhat smaller advantage that Intel CPUs have because they already have more memory bandwidth than AMD CPUs with current platforms with a given memory kit due to Intel's superior memory controller.

Basically, its a switched-places routine of one of Intel's main issues with Pentium 4, a crap on-board memory controller that left Netburst with bad memory bottle-necks compared to Athlon 64.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Blazorthon,

Today, because of exactly what you say above, the gap between Intel and AMD in memory performance and throughput isn't that great anymore. Typical memory bandwidth using DDR3/1600 cas 7, 7-8-8-24, is about 10,500 MB/s. Latency is better too, but the real bottleneck is HyperTransport 3! It's been an advertising tool for over 3 years, but out of the 6 AMD CPU's that I've owned over the last 3 years, only one would operate at the 5200 MT/s rate their advertising seems to imply is common. That was the 1090t. It's also the reason the 6 core 1090t outperforms the 8 core "Visheras" at certain tasks, and beats up on Bulldozer even worse! The FX-8320 is a pretty competent gamer as well. This is at stock 3.5GHz, with the core boost set to 4.0GHz

[​IMG]

Looks good to me!

Best Regards,
    Russ

7. Blazorthon

Blazorthon Regular member

From what I've read, Intel usually has an ~30-35% lead in memory bandwidth with a given memory kit over AMD (Sandy/Ivy Bridge versus AM3+/FM1 CPUs, FM2 fares a little worse and I'd have to check to be sure of AM3). Like I said, it's not a large advantage. Intel's large advantage is their cache. Intel's L3 cache has latency about three or four times lower than AMD's L3 cache and Intel's L2 has latency that is almost twice as low as AMD's L2 (comparing Ivy/Sandy to FX/Trinity except for Trinity having no L3 at all). This is one of AMD's biggest problems and what made Piledriver not distinguish itself from Bulldozer.

I cite the fact that Trinity's A10-5800K, the FX-4170, and the FX-4300 are all fairly similarly performing CPUs. The FX-4170 can't best the A10-5800K despite having a considerably frequency advantage and a huge 8MiB L3 cache advantage strictly because of the Piledriver enhancements. Then we have the Piledriver FX CPUs which can hardly get away from Trinity because the L3 cache is the only difference in CPU performance other than core count and frequency and it's simply too slow to make a big difference.

If AMD had cache as good as Intel,s then they'd be much closer to Intel in performance per core IMO. Look at the difference between even Athlon II and Phenom II. Except for the Phenom II 8xx series, all Phenom II CPUs have a 6MiB cache L3 IIRC and it makes a considerable difference, yet it'ts not much faster than that of Bulldozer and Piledriver FX.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  8. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

It just goes to show you can't believe everything you read.

9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

other words, we can't believe you, Mr-Movies? pity.

10. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

Some of us love when you express your opinion so brilliantly. Thank you for staying around.

11. ddp

who?

12. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Most the stuff i read around here deals with how there is no reason to buy Intel products when AMD are equals. Its allthe marketing, advertising and brainwashing that gives intel the market lead. guess i shouldnt believe everything i read.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Seems relevant to this discussion:

[​IMG]

Note: I'm aware of the image's original context, but this not an intention to bring religion into the thread!

14. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

Just goes to show how wrong you can be. :D Nothing new....

15. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

LOL you guys...

Rather happy today. Got a small promotion at work last night and had a bounce in my step ever since. It's nice to get recognition for your work :)

16. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

Congrats! and so true....

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,

The bad thing about Science, is today they are discovering that with the increased mathematical precision of modern computing, it's showing heretofore unknown mistakes, that were originally thought to be harmless and redundant, as having a great effect on things, like Einstein's Theory of Relativity, for instance, that is no longer considered 100% accurate, and very suspect today! It doesn't look good for science at the moment! What I find very amusing about all of this, this is the same math that says 2012 can't happen, or Nostradamus Quatrains. While you are mulling that one over, here's the new NASA pics of the Earth, from the International Space Station. It's a computer composite in the best resolution ever recorded, someone set to music. It's magnificent!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX7p8_z7rjc

Enjoy,
    Russ

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  18. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

With time we learn more and evolve this is why we find that earth isn't flat, and we have had other miraculous break troughs by people like Madame Curie, Joseph Lister, and Louis Pasteur and so many others. Which does support my argument that you can't always believe what you read. However that is something totally different when compared to a marketing prospective or even spec's as they do stretch the truth and even out right lie. Does that mean everything is a lie, of course not, you have to question and find out for yourself or just be sheep and follow blindly down the road if you choose. It seems many choose to be sheep these days....

19. ddp

baaaaaa, baaaaa!!!!!

20. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

You just proved my point.... :D