1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread - 4th Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Sep 13, 2010.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estusnsis,

I'm not sure I can be much help to you, since both of my motherboards are AM3+, with the 950 SouthBridge, so the voltage adjustments are all different scales. I decided to crank it up to 3.8GHz. I bumped the CPU voltage to 1.375v, raised the NB voltage to 2.00v, and raised the CPU NB VID voltage up to 1.50v, set the HT link Frequency to 2600 and the NB frequency to 2600 and it came up stable. I ran the Processor Arithmetic and got this:

Processor Arithmetic

[​IMG]

Memory Bandwidth:

[​IMG]

When I got done, I set it back to 3.4GHz, and ran the PA again:

[​IMG]

And the Memory Bandwidth:

[​IMG]

I'm completely satisfied with all my choices. The case is outstanding, and cools even better than expected, Ironically because I wasn't expecting to find the right fan, the one that turned out to be a mistake, shipped from Newegg in error turned out to be the perfect fan. They sent the 54 CFM one instead of the 74 cfm. Since the Scythe Slipstream 140 I put in day before yesterday, cracked the frame, where the screw holds it to the case. It was mounted in rubber, and it still broke. A worthless POS fan! :) I paired the A/C 54 cfm fan, with a Y for putting two PWM fans on a single fan header, with the CPU cooler fan. I just took a random shot of the temps, voltages, and fan speeds.

[​IMG]

Can you say cold? BTW, it's 72F ambient in here! :)

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,

I thought of drive letters, because I don't do it very often and usually forget where it's located, and it's so fast clicking help, clicking Index and typing drive letters, and it's all active link from there. Open Computer Management, and click on Disk Management, and you're there! Couldn't be faster or easier.

Happy Christmas, and a Happy New Year to you and yours.
    Russ

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Actually, it is faster Russ. You type "Disk Management" in the run/search bar :p

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Win+R
    diskmgmt.msc
    Enter

Sorry, is just ingrained to do it that way now :p

same for compmgmt.msc , devmgmt.msc and ncpa.cpl

Has the advantage of behaving the same across all variations of Windows

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,

Your day will come, when you get old. I can remember the file type, like .msc, .cat, and .cpl, but my main problem is, I'll be damned if I can remember what precedes them. ROFL!!

Russ

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

You know it's called Disk Management though ;) That's the beauty of that search bar. You get results as you're typing :D

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, if you're not able to remember it, on Windows 7 you at least have the help bar to do the job for you.

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I'm a pretty fast typist. Often, running from that location is faster than searching the program bar. Voice command is even faster at times. I really need to set that up again :S

9. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

Yes it is faster and easier once you know one of the several tricks to get there. I agree the new online help sucks and definitely XP is better in that area.

10. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Just bought a new TV to replace the effectively dead LG 32". This time a Coby 39" for $50 cheaper than my original TV. $340 all said and done.

All the features I need and GREAT picture quality. Easily comparable to any other TV in the store in regards to image quality, including several higher-end Samsung LED models. Also loving the size increase.

Only one simple caveat. No RCA audio out :(

Kinda important as I use my TV as a multimedia hub for my PC through HDMI, using it as the source for my stereo receiver. The in-built speaker is just horrible. My previous TV had a much better integrated speaker. Basically, no TV audio output = no PC audio output for my home theater setup = no music, movies, or games able to output to the stereo at all. The speaker isn't even usable for regular cable as the quality is so horrendous.

Coax to RCA Digital to Analog converter ordered. Basically the cheapest and most generic one I could find. We'll see how it does for quality. They seem to be hit and miss. Worst case scenario, I return it for in-store credit and try the next cheapest model, lol.

Now granted I still have my dedicated 5.1 setup and headset for 90% of games, but you can't beat the TV with home theater speakers for console emulation, movies, games that can use the 360 pad, etc. Especially movies. Also great for music though my PC speakers have decidedly better overall sound quality. Certainly not near the volume or power though.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Mmmm, Cyber monday I bought a JVC 37" 1080P HDTV(305 USD counting 3yr warranty). Zero overscan issues through HDMI on my PC. Haven't played with it's audio capabilities. My Wii is ran directly to my Stereo receiver. It has lots of inputs :p Should I ever need simultaneous sound from Wii and PC, well... I guess my Wii will be plugged directly to the TV.

Rather large for a desktop :S But I do enjoy watching Blu-rays, and playing Wii on a display that isn't finicky about certain video standards. The Dell monitor would encounter issues when loading certain apps on the Wii.

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,

I know it's called Disk Management right now, but 10 minutes from now, who knows? It's what happens when you have had a lot of small strokes, over a period of 11 years or so. When your cognitive memory starts going, you've run out of places to hide! ROFL!! Still, I didn't have any particular difficulties with this build other than it taking me much longer to do than it used to. My thought process, planning, and getting the parts all together over a period of a couple of months was no problem. I made a few bad calls, but did what I needed to do to make it the way I intended it to be, in the first place. I wound up with a couple of extra fans, that broke the first couple of times they were used. The first shucked a blade taking another two blades with it. The other the frame cracked on the corner where the screw goes in. My cover fans are suspended in rubber, there was no reason for it to break, other than it's a crappy fan, made out of too brittle a material. I guess even Scythe make's a bad design every once in a while.

The case, exceeds expectations, as it shines in every category. Even with a full ATX motherboard, there was still plenty of room to work inside the case. It's cooling is second to none unless you've spent big bucks for a complete professional WC system. to be able to cool everything so well, with such a modest liquid cooler as the H60, is truly amazing to me. I'm impressed with the 79908 MIPS, and the 8366MB/s memory bandwidth @3.4GHz. I'm also happy with the overclock I did to 3.8GHz that yielded 87454 MIPS, and an 8958MB/s memory bandwidth.

I'm looking forward to finishing the FX-8320, as the 16GB of Cas8, DDR3-1866, PC3-14900 GSkills Ripjaws ram came today. I'm going to wipe the SSD and install Windows 8 on the 1090t, while I'm finishing putting together the FX-8320. I can't wait to get under the hood, and see what it's got in the bios setup to surprise me this time, in the 990FXA-UD5.

I'm wishing you and yours, a Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year,
    Russ

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I'm glad things are working out so well for you, despite some setbacks. And I too wish you and yours a wonderful holiday ;)

14. Ripper

Ripper Active member

I came across this site today, posted elsewhere.

http://www.logicalincrements.com/

Flicked over it and looks a pretty legit guide for beginners if any of you have reason to need it (by which I mean share with others, not for yourselves - haha).

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  15. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

russ, write down the commands in a notebook for future reference.

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Indeed. I have a folder dedicated to notepad documents. Things I'd like to either try down the road, or don't wanna forget ;)

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

ddp,

Then I can't remember what I did with the notebook. LOL!!

Russ

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,

I just finished installing the full version of Windows 8, 64 bit. Is MicroShaft intentionally trying to screw us again? It was bad enough M$ took .gif files away with win 7, but Win 8 doesn't even play DVDs, and it's slower than 7! If that doesn't beat all, when I put the driver disk in for the motherboard, it gives a message, that it doesn't support Windows 98? Kind of put's it all in perspective, doesn't it? :) Oh well, Russell will figure it all out. He's good at that! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

The younger generation may be hip on this new design. Frankly, it seems like a logical venture to me. Is it right for a desktop environment? Not for everyone. So, one can configure more toward desktop mode, and opt out of metro. But for people on the go, a laptop (especially the tablet looking ones) would be ideal for a lot of people. Not to mention revised code that comes with Windows 8, which better handles state of the art CPU's.

I think we're judging the OS a bit prematurely. I only played with it a few minutes. It seemed likable. But I don't have a touchscreen, since I destroyed my upgrade :S So I won't be able to give it the trial it deserves. The way it was intended to run ;) And I'm sure people will find ways of modifying the OS to better suit their needs, and wants. They always do...

20. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

russ, glue the notebook to the front of your monitor so you'll always see it.