1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread - 4th Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

He could write it in reverse and paste it to his head so all he has to do is look in the mirror to get the command(s)/shortcuts he needs. LOL

2. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

Are you not taking about NotePad?

3. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

There always has to be a critic. :D Yes that is my interpretation as it would be tough to tape a notebook to your monitor, even if it was a paper notebook and not a computer.

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,

Wait until your first time you accidentally drop on icon on another icon. You can move the top one, but there is no way to move or delete the text only icon it leaves behind. How do I set my folders to icons only in win 7. I don't like thumbnails or previews when you open a folder, I just want files.

Russ

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

6. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

Block both and delete them, then restore one of them from the Trash Can, move it and restore the other one, if I'm following you properly.

As to viewing files, you can view them just like in XP or you have the choice of viewing them in the enhanced modes Vista/7 offer. There are more options, but still the old ones too for the most part. List or Detail should give you what you are looking for, I assume. Sorting is a whole other issue though as in Vista/7 they automatically sort all folders except the Desktop which is done better in XP in my opinion.

Also Russ, you could make a folder of shortcuts, or add them to the Links folder, for all of the conveniences you need/use from time-to-time, I use the Links folder for all of my extended shortcuts/program jumps. This way you don't forget were they are, they don't fall off the front of your monitor or block your view. Clean approach and no mistyping them once they are created and verified. I have shortcuts to roaming/local profiles, temp caches, program data, Quick Launch, Control Panel cpl's, and so on all in my Links folder, it works great.

Is there a broken record somewhere? :D
    Stevo

7. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I believe you set that per individual folder in the right click options.

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,

There's a global setting in there somewhere that makes all the folders files. I've used it before.

How about a benchmark or two.

Processor Arithmetic 3.8GHz

[​IMG]

And the Memory Bandwidth.

[​IMG]

The is right at 7000 MIPS slower than the 1090t. The 16GB of 1866, Cas 8 memory works great.

Memory timings at 3.8GHz

[​IMG]

Not too bad at all!

Best Regards,
    Russ

9. harvardguy

harvardguy Regular member

Hey guys, what's up.

I have been away pre-occupied with playing Far Cry 3, one of the most awesome games ever, with the best pieces of all of the Crysis games and the prior Far Cry games plus a lot of other games added to it. They did a superb job and the game is a big payoff for anybody who invests in building a heavy-duty powerful rig. Pop over to my first gaming post about it with 3 pictures on the gaming thread: Find post 8294 near or at the bottom of the page.

Here's one:

[​IMG]

Here's a holiday gift to all of you guys.

If you like the Nutcracker Suite - it's great holiday music. I downloaded a 450MB flac version from a classic recording off of vinyl records years ago - it's perfect quality. Copyright expired years ago. I converted it to 30 MB of mp3 at high bit rate - exceptional quality.

I have been playing it in my iTunes from my laptop hooked to my big screen TV which has decent speakers, and I boost the low frequencies on the equilizer, although it actually sounds best in my office with the big subwoofer of my altec lansing PC speakers - the lower end violas, cellos, bassoons, tympani, etc. beautifully fill in the sound. Tchaikovsky was remarkable - one foot in Serbian composition - the other in traditional western classical composition.

That reminds me - I'll turn it on right now, lol. Wow, always even better than I had remembered!

The following username and password access only that one folder on my web site.

username is afterdawn
    password is afterdawn-1

I find that ONLY Internet Explorer will do ftp file transfer - chrome lets you see the files, but won't transfer them.

EDIT: I forgot to tell you where the ftp site is: in your Internet Explorer url, type ftp.harvardguy.com. Then you can probably cancel the first two requests for username and password, until you get to a page that says Internet Explorer can't load the page. On the command bar, hit the link called Page, and at the bottom choose: Open the ftp site in Windows Explorer - THEN fill in the username and password. When the window opens, right-drag and COPY to your desktop or to a folder. (If you accidentally move it out, then please copy it back in.) That's all - easy!

Happy holidays,
    Rich

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  10. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Far Cry 3 is indeed great. Still fundamentally a bit boring, but drastically more engaging than Far Cry 2. Sadly the map interface and menus stink of consolitis as well as the general controls. It translates remarkably well though and scales wonderfully to high end PCs. PC gamers get by far the better looking game, no contest. The console versions are about equal to medium/high at middling to low resolution.

Am currently waiting on more hardware to be able to max it effectively. X6 1090T and 6970 in the works. Second 6970 will be a hassle though I am sure Amazon or Ebay will have a used one for a reasonable price. Just the one is the goal for now, to be able see the difference. Crossfire certainly works, though hard to place a scaling percentage on it. Maybe the memory boost and elimination of scaling worries is all I need. As I understand it my cards Crossfired are more or less equal to a 6970 when scaling is ideal, which it hardly ever is.

Lately have been going back to Bad Company 2. It is especially sensitive to stability issues so has been unplayable for me the last few months. Crashed every 20 minutes to an hour. With the new parts in place and new OC stabilized, I have been playing problem-free for hours and hours :)

Such a fun and fundamentally solid game. BF3 doesn't hold a candle. Too much room for exploitation and the large maps and large player sizes are too confusing without a dedicated commander mode. DICE were onto something with 32 players on medium-ish maps. BC2 is undeniably fun. Wish BF3 were better organized. Also, BF3 is another game that will need more Vram to play properly, so I've been avoiding it. That doesn't have me hurting too bad though. Bought the full game only to have them release all the best maps in expensive DLCs. BC2 had exactly 2 DLCs and neither was essential to enjoy all the maps for the stock game. All the map packs were free.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  11. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I have one 3TB Red, so far so good I suppose, although I haven't had it very long. Main issues I've had have been wrestling with 3TB drives in a controller that doesn't support them.

13. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Finally got my new side panel on. Works wonderfully. My video cards now load at previous idle temps... They can obviously handle the heat but DAMN do they run cooler with an intake fan. Will post internal shots at some point I'm sure. Probably next time I have it open ie when my 1090T is purchased and being installed. BTW the fan placement is functionally perfect though I might have dropped it half an inch to concentrate more flow on the bottom card. Bottom card runs cooler anyway so meh. Still allows more airflow to it. Everything runs drastically cooler with it in place which was the original goal.

[​IMG]

And for those of you who want to see my ugly mug :p

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/8678/dsc00164vk.jpg

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Nice mug :p

I really wanna replace the 230mm side fan, and go with quad 120mm fans. But since I don't want to add another fan controller. I'd have to go with low Rpm fans. I wonder what would do an excellent job, without being too noisy?

15. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Cooler Master case fans are reasonable. Not the best airflow but still decent and relatively good noise characteristics. Work well enough and cheap, so not a big risk to experiment.

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I used to use four of these, but they were a lot cheaper than that!

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Guess I'll wait for a sale ;) More than likely with my tax return anyhow!

19. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Merry Christmas guys

20. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Merry X-mas to all, and i went ahead with my purchase. I am on work vacation till the 2nd so i should be able to receive these and rebuild my array before then.