AfterDawn: Tech news

Video Daily: The incredible Mozilla Labs concept smartphone

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 26 Sep 2010 1:09 User comments (9)

Video Daily: The incredible Mozilla Labs concept smartphone Mozilla Labs has shown off the Seabird concept smartphone this week, the conclusion of the "Open Web Concept Phone" project which began in early 2009.
The "Mozilla Labs Concept Series" asks the world what they want to see out of certain future devices, as long as they revolve around Firefox, Mozilla and the Open Web.

Billy May, working directly off all the community feedback, has now released a video for "Seabird."

The main new features of the smartphone are dual Pico-projectors, which allow for a fully projected keyboard, effectively turning your phone into a notebook.

Form factor is very slick for the touchscreen concept as well as very thin, while leaving enough room for the dual projectors.

There are no plans for the release of the phone or a Mozilla OS (the Seabird runs on Android), but I'll take a leap here and say there would be few people who wouldn't want to see this phone as a real device.

Previous Next  

9 user comments

127.9.2010 07:36

SWEET!!!!

228.9.2010 20:46

I like it a lot :D That Bluetooth headset within the phone should be in more newer model phones, I think.

Then again, more people would walk around in public with Bluetooth headsets so maybe not. Awkward hellos are awkward, if you know what I mean.

Also, why does Diamond Dallas Page edit these comments? (First post)

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 28 Sep 2010 @ 8:47

328.9.2010 22:41

KSib, ddp are the initals of my full name minus 1 letter. i've been using those letters a lot longer then diamond has.

43.10.2010 09:22

I like it they should come out with I like that you can use the Bluetooth headset to control the screen I am game.

53.10.2010 11:14

From 1:06, is that for real?

63.10.2010 23:12

Originally posted by voyager:
concept just an idea they can make it this will be the iphone killer

74.10.2010 03:52

Originally posted by raven30:
Originally posted by voyager:
concept just an idea they can make it this will be the iphone killer
And i discover that Yes this technology exist and the first was tested in a single ballpaint pencil.

81.2.2013 17:14
Pauline 3
Unverified new user

Damn it!! Conquer the iPhones! Go manfacture this darn Modzilla Concept Smartphones. We could do away with our current keyboards. Where do I go register to get this first phone when it comes off the line?
Pauline

91.2.2013 17:37

out side of the mini usb charging connection(it has been known to break on most phones) this is a kick ass phone. i would drop my iphone for this. im hopping with this video out apple will not try to steal any ideas from this and call it their own

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive