1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Ultimate Dream Computer

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by Praetor, May 29, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, a rather disturbing attachment to hardware has its downsides, but that's especially true when it's still not only functional, but also useful. We just don't have the sort of situations we used to where old hardware that still works wasn't really worth anything because it was too slow / storage too small etc.

2. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

If anything, a lot of my older hardware performs better than ever due to software improvements. The old 8800GTS still plays most newer games comfortably with high-ish settings at 1080p. It often gets used as a secondary gaming PC when friends are over, due to its ability to play just about anything. L4D, Borderlands, all of Call of Duty, all of Mass Effect and others are well within reason. It can play most stuff maxed with AA. Only BF3, Crysis, Metro, FC3, Total War and a few other hardcore titles give it any real trouble. Ofc these are the titles I upgraded for to begin with :p

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

spammer spammed.

4. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Is it wrong that I miss using Athlon 64s very badly?

I really want to hunt down San Diegos and Clawhammers and just collect them. Clawhammers are so damned rare now, probably one of the rarest AMD CPUs barring the obscure pre Athlon XP models.

Even easier scenario, I hunt down where my 5000+ BE went to within my circle of friends and buy it back for $20. Quality AM2+ boards are still everywhere for pennies because 3 or 4 generations of hardware directly support the AM2 Athlon 64 X2s. My 78G-DS3HP is still around and supports all AM2, AM2+ and AM3 CPUs barring hex-core only due to wattage concerns.

AMD have had a very colorful and interesting history :)

5. cammobus

cammobus Member

in 2003 or 4 I built my 1st Athlon x64 system using:

MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum
    Athlon 64 2000 [1.8Ghz] - I was too poor to afford an FX-55 ;)
    MSI NVIDIA GeForce NX6800GT 256MB PCI-E
    3 Gb of Crucial Balixtix Tracer

all driven by my desire to play Far Cry with the x64 bonus content.

the point to all of this, the Single Core FX series are faily cheap I aquired a 55 for less than 40 dollars and upgraded this unit for nostalgia ...

[... hmm looks like the price has shifted upwards again ]

6. john179

john179 Active member

This Thread goes back some time looking at some of the dream computer of the past. Its a blast from the past some amazing dream computers here and to see where we are now from some of these post is amazing in the pc world. Hey let me know what your current dream pc is and if you have posted before compare it to past lets see how your then and now measure up could be fun.

7. guruAD

guruAD Newbie

I like this powerful performance in a compact machine

Screen :15.6-inch ASUS laptop.
    RAM :16GB of DDR4 RAM
    CPU: Intel Core i7 processor let you multitask between programs,
    GPU: GTX 1060 graphics card smoothly renders 3D scenes.
    HD: 1TB HDD, 8GB SSHD and 128GB SSD as versatile storage .

Regards

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  8. john179

john179 Active member

My current set up being my dream PC 6 month ago but as tech moves quickly so does our dream PC i realised we all want tomorrow today when it it comes to tech. True hardcore PC lovers we are and we all want the the next big thing we are all hooked